The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] First, Figure Out A Plan.

Rebuild or no rebuild, re-tool or no re-tool, what matters is figuring out what the future could be like.

The youth stuff will come but will the team and owner be willing to suffer for a decade of trying to catch up to Edmonton and other young dynamic teams on the rise? They are so far behind after blowing three years that IMO there is only one way for them to attempt to be actually competitive for a cup run.

They will need to decide to go the New Jersey way, dull hockey but could quickly be effective without depending upon getting Sedin replacements.

They have the coach for this system as that is his system in Utica.

They will need to sign many large, fast players and many defensive defence men.

A system doesn't rely upon skill and creativity so much as adhering to smaller expectations, just do your job.

It is not as hard to find 9 forward players that can skate fast, hit, follow instructions and occasional scoring doesn't hurt but just about all NHL players were scoring machines in junior on their teams so 6 to 10 goals from each could be considered a win. The idea being that it is a defence first system so goals against drop considerably.

The hockey would be boring likely a 1-2-2 or a left side lock, dump and pray but it would/could have immediate results in competing against highly skilled players.

A big need would to be effective on the special teams PK and PP as the system would likely rely on PP goals to win with killing off penalties for hooking as the other team skates through the middle.

The defence in a system like this again would rely upon getting large, stay at home defencemen with maybe two that can move the puck or have an offensive flare. Again not real hard to do, the Nucks already have a few of those in Tanev, Sbisa, Pedan, Tryamkin, McKeneny ....with Stecher and maybe OJ adding the flare. OJ and Brisebois would likely end up in Utica for a season or two.

Looking at the Canuck prospects it appears that management has been going in this direction already with many dmen listed in the top 20 or so.

Now going this route is the simplest and easiest, it doesn't require a whole lot of work from management, no difficult trades, no genius drafting, no complex cap management, no replacing the Sedins, a really dumbed down type of team building, just keep rotating bottom 9 players through the roster until the ones that obey best are discovered.

Goalies in a system like this will look fairly good as long as they can stop the first shot.

With the expansion draft coming up there could be many of these types of players available, trading this years later round draft picks could yield far beyond what could be expected and the team will lose only one player regardless of how many they have or trade for. There will be many very good 3rd/4th liners made available.

So they need to decide witch way to go, but I think they already have.

Go for a second level NHL star from some team to help bolster the PP and doing nothing else except trade for expendable players in the expansion draft. 

We have enough current young guys in the lineup and enough youngs guys coming up and i for one would rather watch exciting losing hockey while the prospects grow rather then boring hockey with plugs through out the line up.

As far as trading our later round picks for plugs go....have you not seen Benning pull rabbits out of hats in those "later rounds" ?

Also we are not a decade behind the Oilers, Simply a Mcdavid behind!

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't get McDavid, didn't get Matthews...might as well give up for the next 10 years.

Rasmus Dahlin next year. If the Cubs can win a World Series, the Canucks can get a favorable roll.

44 minutes ago, Toews said:

Rasmus Dahlin next year. If the Cubs can win a World Series, the Canucks can get a favorable roll.

That would be great. But I like that Jim's not counting on tanking to build the D group we'll need, thats why I think picking Juolevi was the right move for the future, and going D again with our #5 pick this year makes sense too. D just takes longer to develop and we'll still pick high for the next few years so it makes sense to get quality D first. 

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

they need someone smarter than me to develop an all encompassing building plan.  good luck to them.

I dunno Joe, I'd hire you over Mike Millbury in a heartbeat. 

14 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I dunno Joe, I'd hire you over Mike Millbury in a heartbeat. 

and probably fire me just as fast. i agree millbury didn't have a clue but all i have are opinions. i'm the guy who once suggested to the canucks, that the trade the right to pavel bure to edmonton for dave hunter. that would have been worse than the cam neely trade. at the time, didn't know much about bure or when he might come to north america. all i was going on, was the canucks were getting pushed around and hunter was a tough, do whatever it takes to win type player. 

i would have made millbury look like a genius. who else could have done that.? 

The club needs to take more chances with FA signings. I understand its hard to attract young free agents but sometimes you have to roll the dice. You might get all 7's or all craps. You'll be in the same situation if you never try.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They will need to decide to go the New Jersey way, dull hockey but could quickly be effective without depending upon getting Sedin replacements.

They have the coach for this system as that is his system in Utica.

JB/TL have repeatedly said they want a fast, skilled team playing up-tempo hockey - the exact opposite of what you describe in NJ. 

When Green was in Portland he coached an offensive juggernaut in the exact system JB wants to implement here. 

Sorry,  but if you're expecting 'trap' style hockey here in Vancouver you're not going to see that.   Green only coached that way in Utica because he had zero talent to work with down there - JB is correcting that gradually. 

I don't get everyone's love for the Oilers rebuild. They were brutal for so long and got a generational talent. That's not a rebuild. That's wasting 3 first overall picks, and then finally landing one that worked. You saw how good of a team they really are when McDavid went down last year. 

Canucks are 2 years into the rebuild, if we wanna rebuild like the Oilers, then we're still 10 years away from making the playoffs, which I don't think we are. 

The Oiler's curse was that they went BPA with their first overall picks and it killed them on the defense and in net. Both our defense and our goaltending situation is looking okay. 

Sure, we may not have a generational talent, but right now all of the hole's in our system are getting filled, where we just need a piece or 2, and then we need the guys to gel together. 

Potential 1st line sniper - Boeser
Potential top 6 wingers - Virtanen, Dahlen, Goldobin, Baertschi
Potential top 6 Centerman - Horvat, (perhaps draft prospect from this draft)

Potential top Defenseman - Juolevi

Potential top Goalie - Demko

We need another defender and either a 1 or 2 C (depending how Bo continues to grow). 

Remember how the Oilers had so many talented forward, mediocre defensemen, terribly goaltending, and they didn't use any of their forward assets to improve their D (it took them 11 years to finally do it). The last thing I want to do is be like the Oilers rebuild, and I think we're doing it right. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't get McDavid, didn't get Matthews...might as well give up for the next 10 years.

Didn't get Laine, Hischier, NP, won't get Dahlin... atleast the NBA likes my Lakers, 3 straight 2nd OA picks in years they could of lost it.

I don't like conspiracy theorists but it just seems very fishy, everything to do with the lottery in sports is corrupt and allows the league to influence how teams will shape up.

What a great story, not only did the oiler have the old Gretzky, but they have the new 1.

Toronto gets their Matthews

Vancouver gets screwed 2 straight years. Thankfully JB takes the best Dman in both drafts.

Dallas, a contender that made a lot of noise and money for the league last year had a very diappointing season. They deserve 3rd OA TO help get them back to contender status.

Then you have the Lakers constantly getting lucky in the NBA? I'm a Lakers fan and I'm calling BS on it. I know if my lakers were the Canucks they would have lost that lottery.. I won't complain about Ball though :)

That's my vent. Bring back the tank, screw the corrupt lottery

"The defence in a system like this again would rely upon getting large, stay at home defencemen with maybe two that can move the puck or have an offensive flare. Again not real hard to do, the Nucks already have a few of those in Tanev, Sbisa, Pedan, Tryamkin, McKeneny ....with Stecher and maybe OJ adding the flare. OJ and Brisebois would likely end up in Utica for a season or two"

It's not hard to find a Niedermayer and Stevens? And we already have two of those? Perhaps you could enlighten us as to who they are.

6 hours ago, smithers joe said:

and probably fire me just as fast. i agree millbury didn't have a clue but all i have are opinions. i'm the guy who once suggested to the canucks, that the trade the right to pavel bure to edmonton for dave hunter. that would have been worse than the cam neely trade. at the time, didn't know much about bure or when he might come to north america. all i was going on, was the canucks were getting pushed around and hunter was a tough, do whatever it takes to win type player. 

i would have made millbury look like a genius. who else could have done that.? 

sure but you would have been a lot more pleasant about it. 

Archived