The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edler waive that no trade for Dallas!

Edler + 33rd overall for 3rd overall + Niemi/Lehtonen

Dallas is in win-now mode, and Edler would be a nice boost to their back-end. They still get a decent draft pick in return at 33 and clear cap by moving a goalie. Vancouver can easily take on either one for next season on a one year contract.

Edler

Eriksson (who played really well for them and is way better than his last year here

Subban

Bachman

for

3rd overall

33rd overall

Honka

Neimi

Lethnonen

They get top 6, top4, cap relief and expansion eligible goalie.  We get the prospect swap just because why not.  Subban is an AHL all-star, so it shouldn't look that bad on paper.  Who holds up  a deal like that on a minor thing like a prospect swap?

Their bottom 6 is bad so I would consider throwing in Dorsett or a 3rd to 5th round pick to round it out.

I don't see any deal with Dallas happening easily due to the ownership fued.  We'd probably have to make it seem like they're getting the better of the deal which means salary dump.

I have serious doubts as to people's valuations of both Edler /Tanev but I'd be pretty pleased if they return what you guys are suggesting. 

I would do two trades:

Edler showed at the world championships that he can be a solid top 4 Dmen with the ability to create some offense.

To Dallas: Edler + 33rd overall

To Vancouer: 3rd overall

A lot of teams are interested in a RH top 4 Dmen -> Tanev would be a perfect fit for teams like Toronto or Tampa

To Toronto: Tanev

To Vancouver: 2017 1st + Kapanen

or

To Tampa: Tanev

To Vancouver: 2017 1st + Howden

At the draft day we would have..

3rd overall (Heiskanen, I think a lot of teams are interested in him)

5th overall (Glass/Mittlestadt/Vilardi)

14th / 17th overall (Petterson/ Tippett/ Andersson/ Hague/ Valimaki/ Foote)

One of Kapanen / Howden

Our prospect pool would look much better than before and we could fill our needs on C and D.

For the upcoming season we could target UFA Mark Streit and sign him to a 2 year contract or so - he brings leadership and can guide the rookies.

Give Pedan or Subban a chance to prove themselfes. The 2017/18 season will be a though one but it would be worth it.

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why the hell would u even give up so much for a 3rd overall? this draft lacks high end talent to begin with and pretty much a top 2 draft and even the top 2 is prolly weaker than last years top 3-4.. and you are ready to give up Sven and tanev for a gamble? i'll take Sven any day over any picks after #2.. at least Sven have started to prove he can play and score.. and still young.. 

Yes, i agree that this draft is lacking high end talent, and a team have to do their homework and get lucky in order to get a good NHL player.  Dallas GM is creating a market for the No 3 pick by publicly announcing its for sale.  We probably have to overpay to get it so something like Tanev plus Sven and more might get it done, but i am speculating.  Put yourself in Jim Nill's shoes, you have Anahiem offerring you Vatanen or Fowler or Manson, and we are peddling Tanev/Edler, We would have to plus the crap out of our offer for him to consider it.

9 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Edler for Dallas's 2018 1st. 

I'm more intrigued by the 2018 draft as well and would like to see more focus there. I think a deal involving that pick would be a great move. Stars management is rumoured to be a team willing to trade futures for immediate help.

Dallas is in a, win now, situation and we're, clearly, a few seasons away from any contention so waiting one season for another pick isn't going to hurt my feelings.They are a team that could find success with one good move or continue to fall short at the critical moment. Gambling on where their futures lay next season, is a fair one. Any way it goes, I don't see them as a true contender and a low teens to high twenties pick would be welcome in a deep draft.

3 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Edler

Eriksson (who played really well for them and is way better than his last year here

Subban

Bachman

for

3rd overall

33rd overall

Honka

Neimi

Lethnonen

They get top 6, top4, cap relief and expansion eligible goalie.  We get the prospect swap just because why not.  Subban is an AHL all-star, so it shouldn't look that bad on paper.  Who holds up  a deal like that on a minor thing like a prospect swap?

Their bottom 6 is bad so I would consider throwing in Dorsett or a 3rd to 5th round pick to round it out.

We own the 33rd pick. Dallas can't give it to us, and what are we going to do with 3 goalies ( Markstrom, Niemi, and Lehtonen). 

And if the answer is buyout, why can't Dallas buy out Niemi ( only 1 year left on his contract) themselves.

3 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Edler

Subban

Bachman

for

3rd overall

33rd overall

Honka

Neimi

Lethnonen

You cited cap relief but DAL is now taking on more cap than they had before??? How the hell is that cap relief?

And if you threw in Dorsett that is even more cap that DAL is taking.

Also DAL doesn't even have the 33rd pick.

And have you watched Loui Eriksson play this year? He is definitely not top 6.

This makes no sense at all.

If Edler can fetch us that 3rd overall pick, there wouldn't be any complaints from us. He's become disinterested throughout the few years and this is give his hockey career a good pulse, if that's what he wants. Maybe he is content here though

To Dallas Edler 30% retained

To Vancouver Lehtonen, Niemi 3rd OA

To Arizona  Tanev and Van 2nd round pick

To Vancouver 7th OA and one of MacInnis/Merkley or Samuelsson

Draft: 3rd, 5th, 7th.

Quick tear it apart :P

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

To Dallas Edler 30% retained

To Vancouver Lehtonen, Niemi 3rd OA

To Arizona  Tanev and Van 2nd round pick

To Vancouver 7th OA and one of MacInnis/Merkley or Samuelsson

Draft: 3rd, 5th, 7th.

Quick tear it apart :P

This.....might actually work.  The only problem is what the hell do we do with Markstrom now.

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Edler + 33rd overall for 3rd overall + Niemi/Lehtonen

Dallas is in win-now mode, and Edler would be a nice boost to their back-end. They still get a decent draft pick in return at 33 and clear cap by moving a goalie. Vancouver can easily take on either one for next season on a one year contract.

i like where u are going with it but i still think we need to give up more for that 3rd overall. Edler and 33 pick cant get it done. At the end of the day i think any other GM can put up a better offer than that. It all matters how badly we want that 3 rd overall assuming we also keep 5th

6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

This.....might actually work.  The only problem is what the hell do we do with Markstrom now.

I'd actually be inclined to either buy out one of their goaltenders in Niemi or Lehtonen (unsure if we're carrying anyone outside of Luongo or if it is possible to do so while carrying Luongo's retention and Edler's at that point) to mitigate the cap hit.

Honestly couldn't hurt, all it is is a hodge podge of everything CDC has been throwing about the last 2 weeks and knowing that Dallas has that internal cap space.  We'd be a cap team for next year and unable to pick up anyone at all and with the loss of edler AND Tanev we'd suck suck SUCK so bloody badly.  But at the same time when the prize is a Wise/Svechnikov or...*GASP* Dahlin at next years draft and we know we won't be competitive for a minimum of 3 more years.  Adding 3 top 10 picks this year as well as last years OJ pick, next years top 5, a 2019 top 5 and then whatever else in 2020 (most likely top 10) we SHOULD be ready by 2021

And this is without even considering possibly trading down with say the 3rd 5th or 7th and recouping extra picks/prospects

But imagine

3rd:  Mitlestadt/Vilardi/Heiskanen

5th:  Liljegren/Makar/Glass

7th:  Liljegren/Tippett/Petterson

Hard to say that this team doesn't IMMEDIATELY look more promising in 3 years based on that

I wouldn't trade Edler this summer as I don't think it maximizes his value as an asset. Alex would be more likely to waive his NTC at the trade deadline once he knows for sure which teams are going to be in the playoffs and will have the best chance for a cup run. I would rather see how Alex does under the Travis Green regime and re-evaluate the possibility of trading him (or not) before the TDL next season.   We might find that Alex has a resurgence and then we would be in a better situation to use him as a potential trading chip or else consider keeping him if he is having a great influence on the younger D.  

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We own the 33rd pick. Dallas can't give it to us, and what are we going to do with 3 goalies ( Markstrom, Niemi, and Lehtonen). 

And if the answer is buyout, why can't Dallas buy out Niemi ( only 1 year left on his contract) themselves.

We can buyout or bury a goalie in the minors.  They can to, but they need every dollar of cap they can get if they want to compete.  We aren't trying to be competitive this year.  You are very clever noticing that we own the 33rd pick.  They have Anahiem's late first round pick or their own 2nd round pick.  Either would work...and that is what I actually meant to say in any case...

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

You cited cap relief but DAL is now taking on more cap than they had before??? How the hell is that cap relief?

And if you threw in Dorsett that is even more cap that DAL is taking.

Also DAL doesn't even have the 33rd pick.

And have you watched Loui Eriksson play this year? He is definitely not top 6.

This makes no sense at all.

Of course if its cap relief.  They would like both of those goalies to play 0 games next year with Ben Bishop around.  Louie and Edler would play both top 4 and top 6 minutes for them.  I have seen Loui play this year, and I also saw him play in Boston and Dallas.  He didn't become bad over night.  He went to a bad team, and he has a notoriously difficult time with transitions.  He was solid defensively and had good corsi numbers for whatever that is worth.  The guy has skill and ability that is obvious.

They have Anaheim's late first round pick or their own 2nd round pick.  Either would work...and that is what I actually meant to say in any case...

37 minutes ago, SuitcaseSmith said:

I wouldn't trade Edler this summer as I don't think it maximizes his value as an asset. Alex would be more likely to waive his NTC at the trade deadline once he knows for sure which teams are going to be in the playoffs and will have the best chance for a cup run. I would rather see how Alex does under the Travis Green regime and re-evaluate the possibility of trading him (or not) before the TDL next season.   We might find that Alex has a resurgence and then we would be in a better situation to use him as a potential trading chip or else consider keeping him if he is having a great influence on the younger D.  

I cannot see us getting a mid to high level 1st next year no matter what we do.  This year's supposedly "weak draft" coupled with the rare Expansion Draft will leave teams scrambling propping up the value of top 4 or better D men to Trade Deadline Levels.

I'd be game to trade no question

Archived