The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Offseason Youth Movement+Draft

I think we have a good opportunity to really shore up the prospect pool this summer and these moves here will show some options we have. 

**Cap goes up $2 million**

Current cap space (+$2 million):$19,375,001

To Vancouver: Kari Lehtonen, Riley Tufte, 2017 1st (Ana)

To Dallas: Alex Edler, CBJ 2nd

To Vancouver: Kasperi Kapanen, Brendan Leipsic, 2017 1st (16th ova)

To Toronto: Chris Tanev

To Vancouver: Nail Yakupov

To St. Louis: Conditional 2018 4th

Van 1st: 5th - Cody Glass

Van 1st (from Tor): 16th - Timothy Liljegren

Van 1st (from Dal): 28th - Maxime Comtois

Van 2nd: 33rd - Nikita Popugaev

Van 3rd: 64th - MacKenzie Entwistle

Van 4th: 95th - Adam Ruzicka

Van 4th (from SJ): 113th - Michael DiPietro

Van 7th: 188th - Trey Fix-Wolansky

Cap space for re-signings: $26,525,001

Re-signings:

Bo Horvat: 3 years, $4 million per

Erik Gudbranson: 3 years, $4 million per

Nail Yakupov: 2 years, $2 million per

Brendan Gaunce: 3 years, $900K per

Cap space for free agency: $15,625,001

Signings:

Karl Alzner: 5 years, $5 million per

Remaining cap: $10,625,001

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Yakupov

Leipsic - Gaunce - Kapanen

Alzner - Gudbranson

Juolevi - Hutton

Pedan - Stecher

Lehtonen

Markstrom

Young players/prospects brought in: 

Glass, Kapanen, Yakupov, Liljegren, Comtois, Popugaev, Leipsic, Fix-Wolansky, Entwistle, DiPietro, Ruzicka, Tufte. 

Thoughts? The values might be a smidge off but these moves would really help with the rebuild or maybe even finish it. 

Is there a reason you want Tufte ? he has kinda bland numbers in the USHL...

Also seems like a terrible deal for an Edler trade considering we are giving away CBJ 2nd for a low first rounder all the while taking Lehtinen's contract on...

Really bad deal... Like really really really bad.

The 2nd deal been talked about, I don't really want that kind of return for Tanev. I want to get a promising elite talent.. Leipsic and Kapenen is pretty good but not really elite.

I'd be far more interested in a package for a top 10 pick or a great player like Drouin or Niedereitter or something like that.

No to  Alzner he'll prob get more than 5x5m and not really what we need right now.. Specifically when you say this is a youth movement :P

A little overpayment in the Edler trade. Change that second to a fourth or so.

Id like to get Alzner here but don't think we need another big contract. Rather go after a reclamation project suck as Kulikov or Del Zotto. Maybe even two UFAs.

I like the Yakupov deal and tanned trade and this is an overall good proposal. Doubt it ever happens though as ownership will not be interested in us being blown out every night haha.

When you are a top defender are you worth a C prospect, a B prospect, and a middle first in a meh draft year?

Would you do Doughty for that package? How about Ekman-Larsson?

Top players don't go for cheap and I'm tired of Tanev being undervalued. He's the best in the league at shot suppression and for a team having trouble keeping the  puck out of their net, they should overpay. 

Just say NO to that deal with TO.  Tanev should return one really good piece, not three question marks.  TO is not a good trading partner for us.  Buffalo for Reino, or TBay for Drouin.  That's what Tanev's return in trade should be.  Not TO's scraps.  

8 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

When you are a top defender are you worth a C prospect, a B prospect, and a middle first in a meh draft year?

Top players don't go for cheap and I'm tired of Tanev being undervalued. He's the best in the league at shot suppression and for a team having trouble keeping the  puck out of their net, they should overpay. 

Well make a Tanev trade proposal then.......I do not disagree with you........but lets see what you got!

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well make a Tanev trade proposal then.......I do not disagree with you........but lets see what you got!

Tampa isn't a great trading partner, they don't need defence the most so Drouin is off the table, but a deal can definitely be made with Dallas. If we can get Lehtonen and the third overall pick for Tanev I'd be happy. I'd like a bit more but that's just my opinion. 

I honestly think we should try and go for a good young player instead of a pick but when you look at all of the teams, we wouldn't be likely to get anyone major so that pick may be our only option. 

With the 3rd and 5th overall I'd like to get Heiskanen and Mittelstadt/Glass. Then package a fourth and Gaunce for a pick between 20-25 and draft Urho Vakanainen(spelling?). I seriously believe we could develope him into a top defender. 

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

A little overpayment in the Edler trade. Change that second to a fourth or so.

Id like to get Alzner here but don't think we need another big contract. Rather go after a reclamation project suck as Kulikov or Del Zotto. Maybe even two UFAs.

I like the Yakupov deal and tanned trade and this is an overall good proposal. Doubt it ever happens though as ownership will not be interested in us being blown out every night haha.

I thought about Kulikov but I figured Alzner would be a better fit and we'd probably have a better shot at signing him since he's from BC. 

40 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I'm not undervaluing Tanev at all. Yea getting Nylander or Drouin for him would be ideal but let's be real, we'd most likely have to add a little to get one of them. Kapanen is still a very good prospect and getting another 1st would be huge.

1 hour ago, goblix said:

Is there a reason you want Tufte ? he has kinda bland numbers in the USHL...

Also seems like a terrible deal for an Edler trade considering we are giving away CBJ 2nd for a low first rounder all the while taking Lehtinen's contract on...

Really bad deal... Like really really really bad.

The 2nd deal been talked about, I don't really want that kind of return for Tanev. I want to get a promising elite talent.. Leipsic and Kapenen is pretty good but not really elite.

I'd be far more interested in a package for a top 10 pick or a great player like Drouin or Niedereitter or something like that.

No to  Alzner he'll prob get more than 5x5m and not really what we need right now.. Specifically when you say this is a youth movement :P

I think Alzner would be a good fit here especially if we trade Edler because after him we really only have Hutton and Juolevi on the left side :| so there would be a need there. I kinda threw Tufte in there because Lehtonen and a 1st alone wouldn't have been enough for Edler.  

2 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Toronto would never do this. 

Are you being sarcastic?  The .Canucks give up A top three shutdown dman in the league, and the Leafs only give up three pieces of junk?  Vancouver would get A LOT more than TO's scraps.  We want one really good piece in return.  Can you say Sam Reinhart?  That's what Tanev is worth.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Are you being sarcastic?  The .Canucks give up A top three shutdown dman in the league, and the Leafs only give up three pieces of junk?  Vancouver would get A LOT more than TO's scraps.  We want one really good piece in return.  Can you say Sam Reinhart?  That's what Tanev is worth.  

Why would you even want to make this trade when all Vancouver is getting in return is junk? &^@#ing state of it. 

Tanev is only good on one end of the ice. 

9 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Toronto would never do this. 

They would to get one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL, which Tanev is. 

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Glass, Kapanen, Yakupov, Liljegren, Comtois, Popugaev, Leipsic, Comtois, Entwistle, DiPietro, Ruzicka, Tufte. 

Thoughts?

1.Comtois have a twin?

2. Not interested in Popugaev - watched him in PG,  doesn't use his size at all even though he could dominant opponents with it without even trying. Plus if he's not getting #1 pp he's not producing much.   When he arrived in PG Matvichuck made him responsible for backchecking and he didn't like that one bit - his numbers came way back down to earth. 

3.  Don't think we're getting anywhere near that return for Tanev although I'll gladly be proven wrong. You're essentially asking TO for two firsts and a third,  not sure Lou bites on that. 

4 hours ago, Pears said:

I think we have a good opportunity to really shore up the prospect pool this summer and these moves here will show some options we have. 

**Cap goes up $2 million**

Current cap space (+$2 million):$19,375,001

To Vancouver: Kari Lehtonen, Riley Tufte, 2017 1st (Ana)

To Dallas: Alex Edler, CBJ 2nd

To Vancouver: Nail Yakupov

To St. Louis: Conditional 2018 4th

Van 1st: 5th - Cody Glass

Van 1st (from Tor): 16th - Timothy Liljegren

Van 1st (from Dal): 28th - Maxime Comtois

Van 2nd: 33rd - Nikita Popugaev

Van 3rd: 64th - MacKenzie Entwistle

Van 4th: 95th - Adam Ruzicka

Van 4th (from SJ): 113th - Michael DiPietro

Van 7th: 188th - Trey Fix-Wolansky

Cap space for re-signings: $26,525,001

Re-signings:

Bo Horvat: 3 years, $4 million per

Erik Gudbranson: 3 years, $4 million per

Nail Yakupov: 2 years, $2 million per

Brendan Gaunce: 3 years, $900K per

Cap space for free agency: $15,625,001

Signings:

Karl Alzner: 5 years, $5 million per

Remaining cap: $10,625,001

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Yakupov

Leipsic - Gaunce - Kapanen

Alzner - Gudbranson

Juolevi - Hutton

Pedan - Stecher

Lehtonen

Markstrom

Young players/prospects brought in: 

Glass, Kapanen, Yakupov, Liljegren, Comtois, Popugaev, Leipsic, Comtois, Entwistle, DiPietro, Ruzicka, Tufte. 

Thoughts? The values might be a smidge off but these moves would really help with the rebuild or maybe even finish it. 

Sorry I don't like any other of those trades. The Toronto one is ok but still doesn't do much for me. Glass drafted at 5 by us I could definitely see though. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kapanen would be our second best forward prospect after Brock. That's not junk. He has the potential to be a 50+ point two way winger. That's a steep price for TO to pay, I wouldn't be surprised if they balk at that. They hold Kapanen in high regard.

9 hours ago, Toews said:

Kapanen would be our second best forward prospect after Brock. That's not junk. He has the potential to be a 50+ point two way winger. That's a steep price for TO to pay, I wouldn't be surprised if they balk at that. They hold Kapanen in high regard.

I gotta disagree with you on this one.  TO is not a good trading partner for us.  Plus, I hate them.  There is always that:)

Archived