The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malkin is the best Russian player in the game

On 5/23/2017 at 9:43 PM, Toews said:

This should be common knowledge by now. Ovechkin hasn't been the best Russian player for quite some time now. The Ovechkin of today is not the same Ovechkin we used to see a few years ago. He has slowed down considerably but his peak is still something that hasn't been matched by Malkin or anyone else. He will still likely go down as arguably the greatest goalscorer of all time. During his peak Ovechkin was the most feared player in the league, when you saw him barreling down at full speed in the offensive zone, your heart leapt into your throat. A truly fearsome combination of size, speed and an incredible release.

Ovechkin prime >>>>>> Malkin prime. 

Malkin now >>> Ovechikin now.

On 5/23/2017 at 9:43 PM, Toews said:

This should be common knowledge by now. Ovechkin hasn't been the best Russian player for quite some time now. The Ovechkin of today is not the same Ovechkin we used to see a few years ago. He has slowed down considerably but his peak is still something that hasn't been matched by Malkin or anyone else. He will still likely go down as arguably the greatest goalscorer of all time. During his peak Ovechkin was the most feared player in the league, when you saw him barreling down at full speed in the offensive zone, your heart leapt into your throat. A truly fearsome combination of size, speed and an incredible release.

For this exact reason I really believe he is older then what he is listed as, I have a feeling he lied about his actual age, and I know this has been talked about before. When I saw him at the beginning of the season my first thought was wow he looks old all of a sudden, like he has aged way too fast for someone that is the same age as myself, he looks way older then myself and all my friends and people at the same age. The decline in his play at this age just doesn't make sense imo, but it makes sense for someone who is in their later 30's like 35 and up, which I think maybe the case with Ovi.

22 hours ago, khay said:

Maybe he is the best Russian player, but I still despise this guy for the boarding on Mitchell resulting in concussion. That illegal hit went without suspension if I remember correctly and it screwed up our team in so many ways. For one, we were without Mitchell during the playoffs in 2010, and we lost to Chicago. And subsequently, it led to Gillis to trade for Ballard as he was not sure of Mitchell's health, giving up Grabner and 1st. Mitchell would have helped greatly in 2011 finals as well as Grabner (if he were to get in shape). Finally, Mitchell was part of the LA team that beat us in 2012. If Mitchell was on our side and not theirs, who knows how things would have gone in that series? And as we all know, with all the contenders getting knocked out early, LA had an easy path to the cup, facing, St. Louis, Phoenix, and New Jersey along the way.

Malkin is a talented player for sure but no doubt he is a dirty player and I have zero respect for this guy.

Hit the nail on the head... that hit had such a huge affect on our team long term. 

I hope Malkin has the same thing happen to him and someone ends his career like he ended up shortening Willie's. Willie is a GOAT. 

On 5/26/2017 at 9:40 AM, Nuck1991 said:

he was the reason they won the cup back in 09. I would love Malkin on my team. His game elevates in crosby's absence

True that he produces points but it's because he gets easier match up compared to Crosby. Crosby has to play against the opposition's best, Malkin gets to play against the second best.

The cup final will be very interesting because Nashville is probably the only team that can send out top pairing quality defencemen against both Crosby and Malkin. Having said that, Nashville is missing their first and second line centers and I can't imagine Nashville winning this series because of that. I hope they do beat Penguins though.

14 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Bo will have more of an impact in the playoffs. He plays all areas of the game and does the dirty work.

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Ovi is underrated in the playoffs, but if this team ever gets there I agree Bo will be a bigger difference maker. 

Ovechkin has 46 career goals in 97 playoff games.  I love Bo, but he will never be close to being as big of a difference maker as Ovi.

This website makes me cringe sometimes.

On 5/26/2017 at 5:00 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

For this exact reason I really believe he is older then what he is listed as, I have a feeling he lied about his actual age, and I know this has been talked about before. When I saw him at the beginning of the season my first thought was wow he looks old all of a sudden, like he has aged way too fast for someone that is the same age as myself, he looks way older then myself and all my friends and people at the same age. The decline in his play at this age just doesn't make sense imo, but it makes sense for someone who is in their later 30's like 35 and up, which I think maybe the case with Ovi.

Beginning of the season, people thought Ovi was lying about his age as well as it seemed like common practice. Although we can never really tell as people age differently despite being the same age. His day to day is much different than yours and your friends. The amount of travel he takes per year is probably more than yours plus the added factor of higher stress level, more physical and bruising of a career and the diet. 

Would be the same as comparing someone to all past presidents who have served two consecutive terms. The aging is considerably noticeable (most recent example is Obama). 

Pavel Datsyuk would be my pick to be the best Russian player at his prime. At his prime, he was a Selke winner while putting up 97 pts a season and to think how good he is at both ends of the ice makes me ranking him No.1 Russian player (if all players are at their prime). Guys who win the Selke and put up 70 pts would be considered fantastic but Datsyuk could put up 97; and there aren't many player who score close to 100 pts and still play such good defensive game as Datsyuk.

I agree the current Malkin is better than current Ovechkin. But for best Russian player at their prime, my pick still goes to Datsyuk.

5 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Ovechkin has 46 career goals in 97 playoff games.  I love Bo, but he will never be close to being as big of a difference maker as Ovi.

We'll just have to see. If goals mattered Ovi would have his cup. His team doesn't get much more stacked than this years squad. His "46" goals haven't gotten him to the second round. Neither has Bo l, but at this point Bo will get past the second round before Ovi. Unless the cap stops existing and he goes to Crosby's team. 

7 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Ovechkin is a goal scorer/powerplay guy. Horvat is an everything guy, big difference when the games matter.

I hope you cringed again.

Mogilny is still number one on my list of greatest Russian players all time. And Bure comes in as a close number two on that list. Gino is a beast but inconsistent as many Russian players are. Ovi is a pretty awesome talent, but like Gino, lacks any and all kind of likability.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:35 PM, Harvey Spector said:

Bure pre knee injury had no equals.  Not even Fedorov or Mogilny was better. 

To be fair, they all played the game differently.

Bure was a pure goalscorer.

Fedorov was an elite offensive/defensive centre.

Mogilny was equally impressive on shooting or passing.

I'd pick Fedorov over Bure :ph34r:

Pavel Bure

Games 702

goals 437

assists 342

Not hugely over balanced towards goals. However Fedorov could and did play defense for Scotty Bowman.

Pat Quinn had said that Mogilny had the most talent.

Hard to go wrong with any of them.

Archived