The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bombing near bus terminal in Jakarta, Indonesia, possible suicide bomber and police officer dead.

Kakanucks

Another bombing after Machester and Bangkok, this time in Jakarta.

Indonesian police said on Wednesday that a suspected suicide bomber and a police officer were killed in explosions near a bus station in the eastern part of the capital, Jakarta.

There were two blasts in Kampung Melayu that went off five minutes apart late in the evening, police said in a statement.

It said some people, including police officers, were wounded and being taken to a nearby hospital.

A hospital official speaking on Metro TV said two policemen and a civilian were being treated, and all three were conscious. Another TV report said five people were wounded.

Authorities in the world's biggest Muslim-majority nation have been increasingly worried about a resurgence in radicalism, driven in part by a new generation of militants inspired by Islamic State.

There has been a series of low-level attacks linked to Islamic State since January 2016, when four militants mounted a gun and bomb assault in the heart of Jakarta.

Eight people were killed in that attack, including the militants.

Two dead in suspected suicide bombing in Jakarta: police

Nice to see Canadian news have their priorities right, this news was nowhere to be found, but apparently Pope Francis looking miserable with Smiling Trump is bigger news.

1 minute ago, Kakanucks said:

Another bombing after Machester and Bangkok, this time in Jakarta.

Two dead in suspected suicide bombing in Jakarta: police

Nice to see Canadian news have their priorities right, this news was nowhere to be found, but apparently Pope Francis looking miserable with Smiling Trump is bigger news.

You're aware there is a city under attack in the Philippines by militants and the are of mindanao is under martial law but we've heard nothing of it.  Duterte might put the entire country under martial law

Just more of the same.  Feed people enough crap they get too full for actual knowledge

But in other news Kardashian(s) are doing a thing in a place and it's big big news :P

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're aware there is a city under attack in the Philippines by militants and the are of mindanao is under martial law but we've heard nothing of it.  Duterte might put the entire country under martial law

Just more of the same.  Feed people enough crap they get too full for actual knowledge

But in other news Kardashian(s) are doing a thing in a place and it's big big news :P

Yes, I've been keeping tabs on the attack in Mindanao, and actually surprised nothing was posted about it here.

Gone are the days when News media ACTUALLY provides news.

Instead I found out about Mindanao because of mutuals I have on Twitter that is from the Phillipines.

1 minute ago, Kakanucks said:

Yes, I've been keeping tabs on the attack in Mindanao, and actually surprised nothing was posted about it here.

Gone are the days when News media ACTUALLY provides news.

Instead I found out about Mindanao because of mutuals I have on Twitter that is from the Phillipines.

BBC reported it.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

BBC reported it.

Most non NA news outlets are or have been

But notice unless you carry the cable package with their outlets or seek it out you've heard little to nothing about it.

Pretty significant event really in both cases but silence is almost complete on both accounts., or at best very minimal in coverage

26 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

I know they did, but there is hardly anything on CBC or CTV.

You know, Canadian news media, the national news coverage of the country I live in.

You said it right there. They provide coverage of interest to Canadians. How many Canadians have roots or even a passing interest in Indonesia? They're just not going to cover it unless it's going to get eyeballs. Eyeballs = advertising dollars. Sad but true. It used to be "if it bleeds, it leads" now you can amend that to "if it bleeds in the west, it leads".

If the Philippines situation turns into country wide Marshall law then I suspect it will get some coverage here as there's enough Philipino people here to make it worth their while. And of course they can make an attempt to link Trump to strongman Duterte.

As for the Bangkok blast. It doesn't help that the Thai authorities downplay everything. Their spokesperson says 24 people were "slightly injured". That's not going to grab many eyeballs internationally and that's exactly what the Thai authorities want. They won't play it up (or even report accurately) anything that will affect tourism.

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Most non NA news outlets are or have been

But notice unless you carry the cable package with their outlets or seek it out you've heard little to nothing about it.

Pretty significant event really in both cases but silence is almost complete on both accounts., or at best very minimal in coverage

You are going to have to seek it out. And these days that's pretty easy. I have several news apps on my phone. BBC app has a very good variety of international news. Features the main news then has the top two stories from every continent. On the Al Jazeera app the top 3 stories were Manchester update, Indonesia bombing, Philippine situation.

This story doesn't fit into either the Liberal or the Conservative propaganda so we won't hear much about it. 

Liberals don't like it, because:

1. It interferes with their narrative that all people of colour are noble savages.

2. It cannot be easily blamed on the West or used to attack the current administration.

Conservatives don't care, because:

1. It doesn't really directly fuel their us vs. them war.

2. It's unlikely to affect business. 

Archived