The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Kuzma: Rebuilding Canucks Want Miller, Won’t Shop Tanev Or Edler

MJDDawg

Hmmmmmm, I guess he's counting on our existing picks to draft the quality this team still needs.

But I do understand the mentality of not wanting to become the pre-McJesus Oilers too.

jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

Jim Benning believes he can sell unrestricted free agent Ryan Miller on returning to the rebuilding Vancouver Canucks.

The general manager’s tougher sell is convincing a polarized populace on the merits of a 37-year-old goaltender backstopping a team that’s years away from being an annual National Hockey League playoff participant.

Especially with the 27-year-old Jacob Markstrom embarking on a three-year, $11 million US contract extension and pining to play more than 25 games next season. There would be numerous backup options and prize prospect Thatcher Demko gets another development season in the American Hockey League.

Makes sense, right?

However, the Canucks general manager rationalized his goaltending plan — and a reluctance to trade the coveted Chris Tanev or the aging Alex Edler — by playing the competitive card.

Benning believes you can’t throw youth to the wolves and that competent goaltending and stability on the back end will ensure there’s a product worth watching next fall.

That’s somewhat debatable.

The approach can be considered a small rebuild because a bigger one would mean moving on from Miller, trading Tanev for a first-round pick and a prospect and seeing what Edler might fetch.

But suggesting there’s an appetite for bolder moves also means more vulnerability on the ice and that hasn’t been lost on the hockey operations department.

“As we’re transitioning these young players into our lineup, I feel that if we have solid goaltending on a night-to-night basis, we can be competitive,” Benning said Thursday during a break in the club’s pro-scouting meetings.

“There’s no worse feeling than trying to develop young players and get them up and going when you know you don’t have a chance to win. Ryan and Jacob have a healthy relationship because they’re competitive and respect each other.

“We have something to offer Ryan that he already knows. We’ve got some positives for him and if that’s the route we go, that’s why we’re doing it.”

That route is offering Miller a better overall environment here than in Anaheim, Los Angeles or San Jose. He is comfortable in the room and the city, can challenge for the starting job and probably bag better money and suitable terms — even a year-to-year consideration at between $3-$4 million annually — than the Ducks, Kings and Sharks.

Those clubs have designated starters in John Gibson, Jonathan Quick and Martin Jones respectively, but some uncertainty with durability, backup options and salary-cap concerns.

The Ducks have $2.3 million in space and because Gibson, 23, has had a run of soft-tissue setbacks and inconsistent play — and Jonathan Bernier and Jhonas Enroth are UFAs — Miller’s name has been mentioned. But would Anaheim pay Miller more than its starter to be a backup? Doubtful.

And because Quick has six more seasons at an annual $5.8 million hit, the available $10.8 million in cap space has to be split between three restricted free agents led by Tyler Toffoli, who had 47 goals the last two seasons and was a $3.25 million cap hit.

In San Jose, much of the $14 million in cap space could be eaten up if the Sharks commit again to UFAs Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. And for Miller, it’s going to be about the money, the opportunity and familiarity.

“I like that he played in Buffalo and Vancouver essentially, and had a stop in St. Louis (2014 trade deadline),” said Miller’s agent Mike Liut, who will talk contract with Benning at the NHL draft combine next week in Buffalo.

“The bouncing around is something you have to do if you want to keep playing, but he (Miller) draws an association (with a city) and wears it with pride. That’s kind of lost today.”

What isn’t lost on anybody is why so many general managers call Benning to ask about acquiring the 27-year-old Tanev.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-rebuilding-canucks-wont-shop-miller-tanev-or-edler

I'm fine with Miller coming back but they have to start trusting Markstrom a little more.  I think Benning is doing the right thing with Tanev.  Don't give him away.  Let a GM come in and knock his socks off with an offer.

Strap in boys, next stop delusion and mediocrity for 3 years!

Seriously...bite the frigging bullet Benning.  2 possibly 3 years of absolute suck followed by a decade or more of success.  I would and will take this article with a grain of salt but if he is serious about not shopping Edler and Tanev after this expansion draft where the return for them will be higher than at any time that isn't a TDL

He's absolutely crazy as a GM in regards to getting value and needs to acheck exactly how this team stacks up to the entire division let alone league before holding on to assets

I think he's doing ok thus far, but if you can get another top 10 pick out of Edler/Tanev alone or for eating a bad contract you do it 

Every

Frigging

Time

Especially when we know at best we'll be mediocre like Carolina and at worst Edmonton for the next 5 years

edit*  I wanted to add that I think if anything this is a ploy by Benning to let Gms know he won't sell for peanuts, but also that he is trying to get Miller to commit to 2 years in order to give us some semblance of decent goaltending over Markstrom and Bachman/Gartieg

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I hope to God that even if he isn't shopping Tanev/Edler that if GM's are calling, that he's listening

Well ya...Benning is actually saying all of the right things and keeping his cards close to his chest.

Can you imagine if he had come out and said...."Ya, It's true that we are shopping Tanev and Edler to the highest bidders."

He even said if a deal comes along that helps the future, he is gonna listen.

Translation

"If Toronto offers a 1st, good prospect and even another gap/cap dump that can help us then it's nice knowing Chris."

"And if Dallas would be so kind to offer their 3rd overall without us having to take Niemi then sure.... maybe even their Anaheim pick+Honka"

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Strass in boys, next stop delusion and mediocrity for 3 years!

Seriously...bite the frigging bullet Benning.  2 possibly 3 years of absolute suck followed by a decade or more of success.  I will take this article with a grain of salt but if he is serious about not shopping Edler and Tanev after this expansion draft where the return for them will be higher than at any time that isn't a TDL

He's absolutely worthless as a GM in regards to getting value and needs to allow someone who can get value get it.

I think he's doing ok thus far, but if you can get another top 10 pick out of Edler/Tanev alone or for eating a bad contract you do it 

Every

Frigging

Time

especially when we know at best we'll be mediocre like Carolina and at worst Edmonton for the next 5 years.

Well the only thing I can see is maybe Jim would rather move Alex and Chris at next year's TDL for picks in a better draft year?

1 minute ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Well the only thing I can see is maybe Jim would rather move Alex and Chris at next year's TDL for picks in a better draft year?

Next years supposed "deep draft" vs this years ultra rare expansion draft where almost every team will need a D after drives their value up now to the tpoint where top 10 picks are almost a certainty when you think of who has one and their need for D.

Maximum value!

While this years top 10 might not yield a pure generational franchise defining talent, it will certainly yield a player(s) that win you cups in the long run.  That's the kind of talent or opportunity a team with little to no significant skilled depth can pass up knowing Edler is long in the tooth and by the time we're competing Tanev will be in his 30's

Maybe he's trying to keep the value of our tradeable assets high to maximize return?  I'd be fine with Miller coming back on a short-term deal anyways.  Markstrom's not likely to become a legit starter and having a solid goalie helps give our young defensemen some confidence that every mistake won't end up in our net.

I really hope this is just some sort of 'sleight of hand' that Jim is trying. If not then he or whoever is pulling his strings must be delusional if they think the "soft rebuild" is still the way to go. At least one of Tanev or Edler needs to be moved, but nobody is going to offer the world for either of them. Just take the best deal and go, Jim.

As for Miller, whatever happens happens. I'm not even sure why he'd want to stay, unless he doesn't care about winning.

I would personally resign a Miller for a year or 2, at a decent salary with no NTC. So he can shipped at the deadline for a contender.

Tanev and Edler, personally move Edler now as he won't improve. But as far as it goes with Dallas, if trading one of the 2 and whatever assets for the 3rd OA, you pull that trigger

Not sure why they are so reluctant in having Markstrom as the actual starter.  He's already 27, so it's either he's the #1 or he'll never be.  When you look around the league, most #1 have established themselves before the age of 25.

Archived