The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Kuzma: Rebuilding Canucks Want Miller, Won’t Shop Tanev Or Edler

MJDDawg

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

As much as I like those 2 players, I'm not sure what you're basing those "chances" on - Goldobin was the number 24 ranked North American skater in the Final Central Scouting Ranking in his draft year. Using their draft years, I wouldn't pick Goldobin or Dahlen over Hischier, Patrick, Mittelstadt, Heiskanen, Liljegren and possibly Makar.

Top of his draft class had Aaron Ekblad, Reinhart, Leon Draisaitl just to name a few. Not saying he (Goldobin) is there yet or will be but David Pastrnak was drafted 26th. Hindsight don't know how many people would pick the aforementioned above Pastrnak. A stronger draft pushes  player rankings lower because of stronger competition. Just saying if you are going to trade, trade in a year where your chances of coming out with a good player is higher

"I think you're going to want to hear this" 

If Miller is truly Jim's guy, then what about trading Markstrom for a 2nd or a package deal. It looks like there will be lots of options for a backup, that could include taking on a bad contract and maybe getting another pick in doing so. In all fairness, I think Jim Benning has some good trade chips going into the draft and although it looks like he's missed the boat at picking a top prospect in the first round he now has a chance to make up for it.

16 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:
4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Edler might fetch a later first round pick at the 2018 TDL, for a (supposedly) better draft.

I think he will bring more than that

Couldn't agree more. Larsson got Devils Hall. Edler on the oilers blueline would have looked like a stud and Larsson on our blueline would have looked average. Edler can at worst fetch you a top 10 pick in 2018

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not sure why they are so reluctant in having Markstrom as the actual starter.  He's already 27, so it's either he's the #1 or he'll never be.  When you look around the league, most #1 have established themselves before the age of 25.

Not JBs fault Markstrom hasn't proving he can take over an aging Miller. I think we should trade Markstrom to the Jets or Coyotes for a 2nd and resign Miller 2 years @ 7M andand give Bachman a very well earned backup role making NHL dollars. The Utica is 100% Demko's team for 2-3 years.

Trade Edler to the Ducks, Pens, Caps, Hawks, Sens, Lightning, or Sharks for a 2018 1st after the ED or at the TDL.

Trade Tanev for Dallas 3rd OA.

Draft Patrick/Vilardi/Glass at 3.

Draft Makar/Heiskanen/Liljegren at 5.

Sign Bo 2 yrs $7M (3.5M). Or 8 yrs $40M (5M).

Likely future core...

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Goldobin #3 Dahlen

Virtanen Gaudette Granlund

XXXXXX Sutter XXXXXX

Juolevi #5 

Tryamkin Stecher 

XXXXXX Gudbranson

Demko

Potential future core players

Hutton

Subban

Brisebois

Rodin

Lockwood

Stukel

McEneny

Also trade Eriksson when the Sedins retire. His contract will be tradable. $6M for a proven 30G scorer is and will be affordable for a team especially with the cap expected to rise. He will raise his stock starting next year, I'm hoping he pots atleast 25G. He has a history of taking a while to adjust. He looked bad in Boston his first year after being traded to and some people don't realize that.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we sign Miller, and keep both Tanev and Edler, is this truly a rebuild?  

its part of the way certainly with Burr and Hansen moved for some quality prospects for sure, and of course the other guys like Bo and Hutton taking steps. But it just makes too much sense to move one of Edler and Tanev. I don't think you have to move both but one for sure. Miller for more than 1 season at a time makes no sense. 

Scrolled quickly, but not sure I saw this discussed.

What happens when the twins' 14 mill cap opens up? Rather we cut them loose, & start fresh with a youthful next wave.

Trading Edler & Tanev, you could take back an expiring albatross(perhaps 1 yr left?), if it greatly enhanced returning pieces. That 14 mill could be handy space to help rivals out..for a steep price in picks/prospects.

So wondering out loud..might JB have an eye to spring 2018, for timing these deals when he also has max cap space?

“I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t listen and see if it (trade) is worth it, but it’s hard to find good defensemen,” said Benning. “Especially defensemen who are mobile and move the puck. I’m not shopping Tanev or bringing his name up in conversations with other GMs. They bring up his name."

What I get from that is that Benning isn't giving Tanev away. He knows that Tanev is a coveted player for a reason. Pair him with a physical defenseman and he'll get injured less. 

Keep him, you have one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. Trade him, you need to back up the Brinks. 

Unless it would make sense for our future, I’m not trading Chris. He means so much to our team. And we’re not looking to do anything with Alex."

So, he will trade Chris if he got a knockout offer. Either way, Tanev is an ascending player who can only get better. 

Not looking to do anything with Alex, unless......someone else is looking for a first round pick. Edler is a good deal for $5M. 

Both of them could go, and would go if the return was significant to the rebuild.

Benning ain't going to just give away like candy, son. 

44 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Not JBs fault Markstrom hasn't proving he can take over an aging Miller. I think we should trade Markstrom to the Jets or Coyotes for a 2nd and resign Miller 2 years @ 7M andand give Bachman a very well earned backup role making NHL dollars. The Utica is 100% Demko's team for 2-3 years.

Trade Edler to the Ducks, Pens, Caps, Hawks, Sens, Lightning, or Sharks for a 2018 1st after the ED or at the TDL.

Trade Tanev for Dallas 3rd OA.

Draft Patrick/Vilardi/Glass at 3.

Draft Makar/Heiskanen/Liljegren at 5.

Sign Bo 2 yrs $7M (3.5M). Or 8 yrs $40M (5M).

Likely future core...

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Goldobin #3 Dahlen

Virtanen Gaudette Granlund

XXXXXX Sutter XXXXXX

Juolevi #5 

Tryamkin Stecher 

XXXXXX Gudbranson

Demko

Potential future core players

Hutton

Subban

Brisebois

Rodin

Lockwood

Stukel

McEneny

Also trade Eriksson when the Sedins retire. His contract will be tradable. $6M for a proven 30G scorer is and will be affordable for a team especially with the cap expected to rise. He will raise his stock starting next year, I'm hoping he pots atleast 25G. He has a history of taking a while to adjust. He looked bad in Boston his first year after being traded to and some people don't realize that.

Tryamkin plays in the KHL, yo!

Unless you know something I don't?

3 hours ago, Nucktika said:

This is absolutely the right move. Bring up the youth in a winning environment. Confidence is everything. Besides why trade 2 established Dmen just because for a draft pick that has a higher probability of not panning out in the NHL. Edler and Tanev are really unappreciated on this team.

I beileve it's more we are starved for transformation dispite Jims ability to make some really big off season moves.

the eastern media is trying to force feed us the Toronto/ Edmonton model of moving all assets out.  I'm ok with keeping them both until we feel our youngins can tred water.

People are making wayyyy too big a deal out of this. Benning is just telling GM's "knock my socks off or you aren't getting the D-men you need". It's very savvy of him. No this doesn't mean he's back to  this being a retool, this is a full on rebuild still.

Having Miller back isn't a bad idea, we want our prospects to grow in an environment where we have a chance to win, it would suck as a young player to come play hockey knowing you have no chance. We don't want to become what Edmonton became for 10 years.

Even setting aside all of this everyone knows 2018 is a deep draft. We also know (as we found out this year) that values are sky high come trade deadline. Why not cash in when we can get the most value? Right now values are fairly low due to the Vegas expansion draft. It's far more complicated so teams can't just offer top end prospects and picks when they don't know exactly what will happen. Besides Tanev's modified contract isn't that bad even after the switch over.

- Bring back Miller for 1-2 years at 4m per.

- Unless the offer blows us away (like a Dahlen for Burrows type deal) wait until the trade deadline to move Tanev and/or Edler when values will be highest and with a deep draft coming up.

Edler missed14 games, Tanev 29, if they stay healthy next year there is a possibility the Canucks make the play offs but would most likely lose that 1st round.

Tanev should ask or want to be traded to the eastern conference, there isn't quite as much hitting and his career will last longer.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Thats exactly my point.  Those old guys are the stale core.  Then we added Errikson, who is stale too.  Our youth need meaningful minutes.  Where are they going to play?  

The direction you seem to want to go means there won't be a meaningful minute to play for a good decade. Benning has to do his best to be competitive so that any minute the rookies get is meaningful. Look I am all for the tank, but I'd rather they died trying than trying to die.

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

We've finished 27th and 28th in consecutive seasons...you can call it anything you like,but it's no 'winning environment'.

First and foremost,players are assets..and they depreciate..This team is all about tomorrow.....A GM has to know the correct time to deal these assets

Edler and Tanev are our top pairing D,its very apparent what happens when they're out of the lineup..

My guess on all this, is that Benning does not want a Colorado Avalanche situation on his hands,where the spirit of the team just folds...and we've lost the game before they even dropped the puck...You have to be somewhat competitive for fans to be compelled to buy tickets...If the Canucks are really out of it by the New Year,all bets are off...Tanev and/or Edler will be gone by the TDL.

"Winning environment" - The chance to win every night. I'd say save for a few games that was pretty much our whole season. Out of the 42 losses we had only 18 were more then 2 goal games and most of those were by 3, there was rarely a complete blowout. To put it in perspective if we won half of those 1 or 2 goal games we're 1 point away from making the playoffs. Night in and night out we kept it close, which is the perfect environment for young prospects to develop in.

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

As others have suggested, if you bring Miller back, might as well trade Markstrom and  trade for one of Dallas's cap hit goalies.

I am all for this. I believe Demko is going three times the goalie Markstrom could hope to be. Markstrom could get us a half decent asset or two under Jim. 

Archived