The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Philip Holm

McKenzie on Philip Holm:

The report I got is that he’s a real smooth-skating defenceman. Timing is everything; he’s got a goal and two assists today, so suddenly Leafs fans think they’re potentially getting this defenceman who is lighting it up offensively. He’s not known as an offensive defenceman in the Swedish league. His greatest asset is that he’s a real smooth skater, [but he’s] not overly creative and doesn’t play a whole lot of power play time in the Swedish league. [He’s] a mobile, defensive defenceman who has got a really good work ethic. I think one of the things the person who I know in Sweden said about him is that he knows what he is and what he isn’t. He knows he’s not Erik Karlsson so he plays a nice, controlled game, but he’s a real good skater and puck retriever and puck mover.

source: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/05/12/bob-mckenzie-discusses-philip-holm-calle-rosen-leafs-defensive-depth/

Just looked at his stats, he had a good year in SHL last year and is 6 ft 1, a puck mover, could be a good pick up. If not, he can just be a Utica signing to help out the team as there will be a lot of young first time pros in Utica next year and Holm could use some of his pro experiences to help the kids. I also wonder what JB see in him which suggest having more potentials than Olson and Neil. 

Nice freebe pickup there, JB.  Always nice to have some depth at d.  He must have realized he has a way better chance of playing with the Canucks, over the Hawks.

Guy has some skills.  Who knows...maybe he ends up a permanent addition to the team.  Regardless, it's a 2-way contract, so he'll look great in Utica if he can't crack the Nuck lineup.

4 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

McKenzie on Philip Holm:

The report I got is that he’s a real smooth-skating defenceman. Timing is everything; he’s got a goal and two assists today, so suddenly Leafs fans think they’re potentially getting this defenceman who is lighting it up offensively. He’s not known as an offensive defenceman in the Swedish league. His greatest asset is that he’s a real smooth skater, [but he’s] not overly creative and doesn’t play a whole lot of power play time in the Swedish league. [He’s] a mobile, defensive defenceman who has got a really good work ethic. I think one of the things the person who I know in Sweden said about him is that he knows what he is and what he isn’t. He knows he’s not Erik Karlsson so he plays a nice, controlled game, but he’s a real good skater and puck retriever and puck mover.

source: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/05/12/bob-mckenzie-discusses-philip-holm-calle-rosen-leafs-defensive-depth/

This is actually good. He put up the points he did without substantial PP time while playing a safe game.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hey, free prospect. I'll take it!

Yes, he's free, but is he a prospect at 25?  Would he not be more of a guy who will be what he is, and not expected to make big improvements like a prospect would?

6 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

McKenzie on Philip Holm:

OK this is great imo. Guys that know their jobs and focus on that are worth a lot. Malholtra e.g. was that kind of guy for us. I like that he led the SEL in +/-. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, he's free, but is he a prospect at 25?  Would he not be more of a guy who will be what he is, and not expected to make big improvements like a prospect would?

You're just never going to be satisfied until all 50 contracts are aged 23 and under, are you?

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

more like preparing for the loss of Sbisa to expansion

he obviously won't be landing the hits like Sbisa but may be a better skater so who knows, he may be able to land a job in training camp.

If Jim can land Raddysh and Kerfoot too now we might see some actual positive eastern media stories on him :lol:

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

more like preparing for the loss of Sbisa to expansion

Although we'd want/need to replace the loss of physicality.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

You're just never going to be satisfied until all 50 contracts are aged 23 and under, are you?

Is he elite?  He needs to be elite.  We need elite.  Can only win with elite.  How can we get more elite?

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Good one, but I don't see this guy as a prospect.  I see him as a player on our team, who will be what he is.  That's not a bad thing.  I see prospects as (certainly) younger players, who will (hopefully) improve to a projected ceiling by age 25.

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

I'm surprised we actually signed him haha. Didn't think we had a shot against Chicago. 

Depends, does he want to be associated with the Blackhawks thinkg Erik Gustafsson for example, or have an opportunity to play ?

I think with the departure of Tryamkin this minimizes the loss and evens things out. Be interesting to see if Holm can provide serviceable minutes.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Is he elite?  He needs to be elite.  We need elite.  Can only win with elite.  How can we get more elite?

Wow!  We agree!  Yes, we absolutely will not win without some elite talent.  This guy is certainly not elite, but he could be a fine bottom pair guy replacing the loss of Tryamkin.  Heck, maybe his coming allows JB to trade Hutton for a prospect (forward) who has an elite ceiling? 

Just now, Alflives said:

Good one, but I don't see this guy as a prospect.  I see him as a player on our team, who will be what he is.  That's not a bad thing.  I see prospects as (certainly) younger players, who will (hopefully) improve to a projected ceiling by age 25.

I see it like Burke describes this kind of thing, a found wallet. In terms of "asset management" landing a potentially solid stay at home D just hitting his prime years for free is pretty much the gold standard of realistic asset management isn't it? He's only 25, same as Guddy, he could still be a piece of the puzzle for the next group. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I see it like Burke describes this kind of thing, a found wallet. In terms of "asset management" landing a potentially solid stay at home D just hitting his prime years for free is pretty much the gold standard of realistic asset management isn't it? He's only 25, same as Guddy, he could still be a piece of the puzzle for the next group. 

Absolutely!  It's like finding a 20 dollar bill under a rock.  Although, JB's first few rocks he looked under kind of had nothing under them:(  It's good to keep trying though.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gudbranson and potentially Pedan?  Considering we can't expect edler to play a full 82 games I'd fully expect Pedan play 20-30 games

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Holm Gudbranson

Pedan Subb's

Not a contending D core but still young and has potential to improve.

Archived