The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phillip Holm | #29 | D

Rollieo Del Fuego

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a Tanev type player and that's not a bad thing. If he comes as advertised, he would be a good defensive player to offset our young dmen who are still developing at the NHL level, namely, Hutton and Stetcher. All in all, a good signing. 

18 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Sounds like a Tanev type player and that's not a bad thing. If he comes as advertised, he would be a good defensive player to offset our young dmen who are still developing at the NHL level, namely, Hutton and Stetcher. All in all, a good signing. 

I feel like you wandered into the wrong thread...

On 28/05/2017 at 9:11 AM, Jägermeister said:

Not gonna lie though, Biega actually looked decent out there on the 4th line.  I really wouldn't be opposed to him sitting as a plug and play wherever in the line up.

Agreed, I actually thought he was a very effective fwd.

On 2017-06-19 at 2:35 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Reminds me of Stecher style of offense and shot but 20-25 pounds bigger.. 

Reminds me of Lumme 

I kinda have a good feeling about Jim's latest pick up signing . I also  think the smaller rink may also enhance his corsi stats. His first pass or shoot nuances are clever an subtle to almost deceptive. He appears to be well grounded,

This is gonna make a down the road trade of Hutton or whomever they may move all more possible if he pans out for team. I have a feeling he will be perfect stop gap interim measure until the newer revamped D is upgraded.

1 hour ago, bobbyg43 said:

Reminds me of Lumme 

I kinda have a good feeling about Jim's latest pick up signing . I also  think the smaller rink may also enhance his corsi stats. His first pass or shoot nuances are clever an subtle to almost deceptive. He appears to be well grounded,

This is gonna make a down the road trade of Hutton or whomever they may move all more possible if he pans out for team. I have a feeling he will be perfect stop gap interim measure until the newer revamped D is upgraded.

Hoping we can hang on to both him and Wiercioch longer than this year. Somebody needs to be moved...

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hoping we can hang on to both him and Wiercioch longer than this year. Somebody needs to be moved...

true, Benning has set up the D group depth to be able to move someone off the main roster. We might see a move at or near the end of training camp. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

true, Benning has set up the D group depth to be able to move someone off the main roster. We might see a move at or near the end of training camp. 

I think it's more than "might". The alternative to a trade is to waive some bodies and hope nobody picks them up. I suspect that JB will be trying very hard to make some moves near the end of camp, especially if some of the kids look like they belong in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I think it's more than "might". The alternative to a trade is to waive some bodies and hope nobody picks them up. I suspect that JB will be trying very hard to make some moves near the end of camp, especially if some of the kids look like they belong in the NHL.

I guess there still could be a FLA trade involving Guddy, maybe for Pysyk and FLAs 2018 1st rounder? can't see it being for less than that.

Tanev to TO makes sense but its really complicated by TOs cap situation.

But if Holm looks stellar during camp, that makes Hutton the most expendable... but how much is he really worth? 

44 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I guess there still could be a FLA trade involving Guddy, maybe for Pysyk and FLAs 2018 1st rounder? can't see it being for less than that.

Tanev to TO makes sense but its really complicated by TOs cap situation.

But if Holm looks stellar during camp, that makes Hutton the most expendable... but how much is he really worth? 

I have a tough time seeing Guddy going anywhere, Tanev almost the same, best choice would be Edler, IF he's willing, which is a very big if. I think both forward and defense are likely to need either some trades or some waivers, depending on how the kids look in camp. 

JB's going to have some difficult choices this fall, but I like this kind of tough choice over last year's Skille or Chaput or Megna or Cramarossa type choices.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Either that or there is the ol' trick of waiving people early at camp when none of the other teams have settled their priorities and aren't looking to add anyone.  It has worked before.  In any case I love the idea of having more bodies than jobs.  That way every position will have a competition, and a hearty one, before the roster is finalized.  That's always a good thing.  There's always injuries too.  We can figure out what to do with the extra bodies once we see what we have.  GCG!

It seems like Philip Larsen has soured everybody on this type of acquisition on defense.  This guy was the top +/- in the SHL and the highest scoring defensemen on the top team in the league.  He also played a strong role for Sweden at the World Championships, where he won a gold medal.  I am excited about this signing.  I think our defense is actually looking pretty good.

Del Zotto Tanev

Edler  Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Holm Wiercoch

Holm and Wiercoch and Biega or possibly Juolevi allows us to trade Edler or Tanev and still field an decent defense. And again, just like the forward ranks, Benning has created a competitive environment.  You have to earn your spot, there is clear cut top 4 or top 6

This year's top 9-10 D. are a clear step above last year's....Holm is way more of a sure thing than Larsen and Del Zotto is better than Sbisa...Wiercoch is better than Biega and we will have Guddy for more games then last year ...one would assume.

A trade is the only way I see Joulevi making the team but Holm could be the guy visibly keeping him off the team by being almost as good but more consistent.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Holm with a three point night in a 3-2 win for the Comets over Utica tonight.

The guy clearly has talent. It's a matter of how well and how fast he can adapt to the North American game and Canucks systems. 

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The guy clearly has talent. It's a matter of how well and how fast he can adapt to the North American game and Canucks systems. 

Don't trust the points because Holm really didn't play well. He really doesn't impress me and he'll past the whole year in the AHL if it's not exchanged before!! Too much ice time for me!! 

1 hour ago, Uticafan said:

Don't trust the points because Holm really didn't play well. He really doesn't impress me and he'll past the whole year in the AHL if it's not exchanged before!! Too much ice time for me!! 

Management seems to like his puck moving ability. I'd give him a bit of time to see if he can improve his other areas with practice and coaching. 

Archived