The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton: Do We Really Need Him?

Horvats_Big_Head

14 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are you basing all of this on a couple of us throwing around Hutton's name in another thread? It's the offseason. Anyone not named Horvat will be traded 100 times over on these boards.

Hutton is a good young defenseman. Good but not great. I don't think he'll get traded but if he did, life goes on. 

That, and ignoring his name was being thrown around just as much before we signed a free agent LHD.

Anyone's available for the right price, and I like Hutton.

5 hours ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

Plus he isn't "one of Benning's guys" - he's a Gillis pick and we all know how that's working out for J. Subban.

That is a wrong statement.  

It isn't working out for Subban because he is an awful defensman, not because he isn't a JB pick.   

He will get his chance when he learns to play the game.  

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It isn't working out for Subban because he is an awful defensman, not because he isn't a JB pick.   

If I could add?  Bo was a Gillis pick, and JB is building around Bo.  

I don't know why management would consider trading him were already thin on the Blueline although Stetcher slid in nicely.  If we lose Sbisa then even more so.  He's part of the young core, and hopefully will improve, they usually do.  Tanev and Edler are the pieces they should consider first.

Might be the best time to trade him with the expansion draft coming up. Could really take advantage of some team that needs to protect a lot of forwards. A team like Tampa or Calgary might choose to trade for a nice cheap young expansion exempt defencemen and move a forward out that might be taking a spot away from somebody else they'd like to protect.

16 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I'm just going to start off by sayin nice thread and I agree Hutton is a must keep

But why the Edler hate? What did he ever do to you to deserve so much hate?

Sure he has been under performing the last few years but a back injury, rebuild, and musical coaches can do that. He's still a great player and he proved that at the world's.  Only in Vancouver do the Sedins, Eriksson, and Edler suck. Put them on another team and all the haters will be praising their play.

Do not undersell Edler, he's worth a 1st wether the mojority of our fans believe so or not. If we can't get a 1st we keep him to mentor the young guys. It's really a win win, unless we just dump him for scraps then that's just a major loss

Well said Edler is so undervalued on here it's laughable. He looks bad sometimes, but that's usually because he is covering for his partner or because the twins made A sloppy line change leaving him to hold his nuts. I love Stech, but people forget he was A rookie who made a lot of rookie mistakes. Edler bailed him out numerous times. And heaven forbid if A goal was scored while doing that everyone blamed Edler. Even tho he was trying to clean up Steches mistake.

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Have you watched a lot of utica games? Is he Doughty out there no. That isn't the type of D he is he is out there to transition the offence from the back end. I watched A tonne of Utica games.His D took major strides this year and is no longer the liability it was 2 years ago. Factor in all the work he's doing this off-season and it stands to reason it will only get better. Does he still make some bonehead plays? Sure So does every D we have on the Canucks. 

Jordon oozes with offensive potential. Something this team is lacking terribly. The guy put up more points than most of the Comets including our 6th overall pick. He absolutely deserves a LONG look this year. 

Let him play through his mistakes. Maybe just maybe he will prove the haters wrong and we will finally have A true offensive Dman. Put him with A shutdown guy who will stay back and let him do his thing. Watch A few Utica games all the things Canuck fans bitch about not having Subban fits the bill. And as A bonus he may be small, but at least he sticks up for teammates. When Tanev or Edler or both get traded I truly hope they give him A long look. not  5-10 games. More like preseason and at least 25 games. If looks lost or is A liability send him down. We're not going to be that good next year, so why not audition guys like Subban Olli Jake Goldy Dahlen and if we draft a guy who isn;t from NA and he excels in Utica bring him up.  Use this year as A sounding board to see exactly what we have going forward. It allows the management to see what holes need to be filled and gives the fans some games to look forward to Instead of watching Megna Chaput Cammarossa etc. Heck, let Demko start a few games let him get A taste it will only make him try that much harder so he can get back. 

IM not saying to do this all season. Or have them all up at once just the odd one here and there. except withOlli keep him up. Guy has nothing left to prove in the O and by all accounts, the Nights won't be the powerhouse they usually are Cheers

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

Have you watched a lot of utica games? Is he Doughty out there no. That isn't the type of D he is he is out there to transition the offence from the back end. I watched A tonne of Utica games.His D took major strides this year and is no longer the liability it was 2 years ago. Factor in all the work he's doing this off-season and it stands to reason it will only get better. Does he still make some bonehead plays? Sure So does every D we have on the Canucks. 

Jordon oozes with offensive potential. Something this team is lacking terribly. The guy put up more points than most of the Comets including our 6th overall pick. He absolutely deserves a LONG look this year. 

Let him play through his mistakes. Maybe just maybe he will prove the haters wrong and we will finally have A true offensive Dman. Put him with A shutdown guy who will stay back and let him do his thing. Watch A few Utica games all the things Canuck fans bitch about not having Subban fits the bill. And as A bonus he may be small, but at least he sticks up for teammates. When Tanev or Edler or both get traded I truly hope they give him A long look. not  5-10 games. More like preseason and at least 25 games. If looks lost or is A liability send him down. We're not going to be that good next year, so why not audition guys like Subban Olli Jake Goldy Dahlen and if we draft a guy who isn;t from NA and he excels in Utica bring him up.  Use this year as A sounding board to see exactly what we have going forward. It allows the management to see what holes need to be filled and gives the fans some games to look forward to Instead of watching Megna Chaput Cammarossa etc. Heck, let Demko start a few games let him get A taste it will only make him try that much harder so he can get back. 

IM not saying to do this all season. Or have them all up at once just the odd one here and there. except withOlli keep him up. Guy has nothing left to prove in the O and by all accounts, the Nights won't be the powerhouse they usually are Cheers

I watched all the Utica games this year.   

I like the rawness of the AHL over the over coached NHL game.  

You are straight up wrong about his progress and game.   

Sure, there has been a little, but major strides is a huge over exaggeration.  Huge.     And he absolutely is a huge liability defensively.   That's why, even when he got his one call up, he didn't see the ice. 

And please, don't give me that crap about seeing what he has got.  

Im so sick of hearing that, and you saying it now makes me think you didn't watch as much as you claim, because if you did watch them, you would know what we have in him.   You supposedly watched a lot of it this year.   

You should know that we have a very offensively talented, tiny, weak, hot dogger who refuses to stay in position and fails to grasp that he is a DEFENSEMAN. 

You are the first person who 'watched the Utica games' and said he isn't a liability, and has made huge strides.  

Hell, even his coaches didn't say that.  

Our GM didn't say that either.  

im all for giving these kids chances.  Absolutely!  How else are we going to rebuild?  

But IMO it is plain bad management to give these kids spots until they earn it.

What is wrong with letting these kids properly develop into fully functionable players before giving them their NHL chance?   Why do we have to rush them? Have we not seen that movie before?  I have and it sucked. 

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Facts are staring at you right in the face. Horvat and Hutton are the two best picks Gillis made. Have a look on hockeydb, and see Canucks drafting from 2007-2013. 

That's the reason Benning has had to try and revamp our prospect pool, and provide serviceable players to fill the gaps in the meantime.

Yeah imagine if Benning didn't provide serviceable players to fill the gaps..  we'd finish like.. 27th and 28th in consecutive years.  That'd be awful.. oh wait.  

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

I watched all the Utica games this year.   

I like the rawness of the AHL over the over coached NHL game.  

You are straight up wrong about his progress and game.   

Sure, there has been a little, but major strides is a huge over exaggeration.  Huge.     And he absolutely is a huge liability defensively.   That's why, even when he got his one call up, he didn't see the ice. 

And please, don't give me that crap about seeing what he has got.  

Im so sick of hearing that, and you saying it now makes me think you didn't watch as much as you claim, because if you did watch them, you would know what we have in him.   You supposedly watched a lot of it this year.   

You should know that we have a very offensively talented, tiny, weak, hot dogger who refuses to stay in position and fails to grasp that he is a DEFENSEMAN. 

You are the first person who 'watched the Utica games' and said he isn't a liability, and has made huge strides.  

Hell, even his coaches didn't say that.  

Our GM didn't say that either.  

im all for giving these kids chances.  Absolutely!  How else are we going to rebuild?  

But IMO it is plain bad management to give these kids spots until they earn it.

What is wrong with letting these kids properly develop into fully functionable players before giving them their NHL chance?   Why do we have to rush them? Have we not seen that movie before?  I have and it sucked. 

+First off his own coach praised him for his strides he has made. Second did he not make the all star team? pretty sure that is quite the improvement from last year would you not say. Weak that's so laughable guy is built like A horse. but based on other posts you have written you have A prejudice towards anyone, not 6 feet or taller. Am I wrong. (paul Byron) top[ic comes to mind.) Hot Dogger? why cuz he likes to celebrate when he scores? What is this commy China 

You are such A typical caveman who is stuck in the 60's And all your facts are dead wrong. Both GMJB and Travis praised him on his continued improvement. 

Please tell me how he hasn't earned A shot? led his team in scoring sticks up for his teammates and very seldom is he A liability. You have admitted in the past you hate small players. So let's call A spade A spade you hate him because he isn't big. New's flash either is eks from nashville Barrie from col Krug from Boston etc 

Put your hatred aside and see the player for what he is and what he could bring given the chance. You sound just like m,y Grandpa just not racist.

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah imagine if Benning didn't provide serviceable players to fill the gaps..  we'd finish like.. 27th and 28th in consecutive years.  That'd be awful.. oh wait.  

Blame Benning all you want. You can't undo 10 years of miss management in 2 years. Oh and his first year we had over A 100 points. Look at all the young players we have under 25. Look how good our prospect pool is compared to when Gillis was gm and Jordan Shroeder was A top prospect. You JB haters really have no clue. I guess based on your thinking Babs is A terrible coach and Shanny and Lou have no clue back under your bridge.

8 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Actually it was 28th and 29th :)

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

Excellent movie!

Men, pretending to be women, pretending to be men.......

There's a lot of wisdom in it.

Actually, it has been a long time.  Too long.  The quote is "life's a piece of sh!t"  No matter.  :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I know the sarcasm meter is going strong here but you know, there is many a true word said in jest.  Fact is, this teams fate was sealed when they drafted bugger all from 2005 thru 2011.  Granted there were tragedies like Luke Bourdon during that period but it remains that not a single draft pick remains with the Canucks.

Benning has tried but meh, when you have little to deal, it's pretty hard to get decent assets back so he scoured the league for guys like Baertschi who fell between the cracks.  I really can't complain at the rebuild job he has done in only 3 years.  Benning was left in a pretty crappy position to begin with.

Benning is into depth because that's what he beat us with when he was with the bruins and he just signed Holm so It's typical of having young guys and seasoned pro's to show them the ropes and hutton is a big boy and we need that on this team and he'll get better as he adjusts and makes better reads as any dman does. IF Benning said his model is goalie first then out and with miller for another year while Demko develops, we'd have that covered and then comes Defence and he's working on it

"patience young jedi"  We have pieces already it's just a matter of who fits where, playing with whom and after that it's assessing to upgrade via trade etc.

can never have enough depth and developing players getting nhl ice time experience especially on defence in a rebuild and prospects challenging for shots at the line-up needs to "create the competition" part we've been hearing about that management wants and have a farm system that's "kind of" starting to produce that even though it might not be be where we'd all like it to be but at least it's has some guys getting ready to push the regulars on big salaries and keep them honest

So speaking of Holm, he's had the best +/- in the Swedish Hockey League and 25 years old who can probably make a difference right away, welcome to the fold Mr Holm by the way.

Archived