The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton: Do We Really Need Him?

Horvats_Big_Head

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I have a feeling you are mixing me up with someone else.  I never said any of that.   Never referred to Byron.  Never once mentioned fighting.   Never once said someone small doesn't deserve a shot.  

It is about his dgame. Not his size.  

Being that small just doesn't hel his situation.  

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.  It makes you look like a goof.    I am very fair in my criticism toward Jordon.  

Also

I've been in the studio recording drums all night.  My apologies. my priority on a Saturday night wasn't debate hockey on the internet.  

I will find the quote you went on A huge rant about small guys and how you would rather fight A guy over 6 feet tall. You then when on to say men nowadays and there skinny jeans and how you can't even walk around with natural testosterone I assume you meant A man's natural smell? I will find you the rant 

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I will find the quote you went on A huge rant about small guys and how you would rather fight A guy over 6 feet tall. You then when on to say men nowadays and there skinny jeans and how you can't even walk around with natural testosterone I assume you meant A man's natural smell? I will find you the rant 

Know the post you are talking about.  

You are quoting me incorrectly.   

Never mentioned fighting once.  

Your reading comprehension, strange aggressiveness and the parts you like to pick and choose make for an annoying conversation.  

I'm going to enjoy my Sunday with my family.    

I hope you don't get too upset again when I don't respond to you.  

Yes, some people do other things than wait for your reply. 

Have a great day.  

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I have a feeling you are mixing me up with someone else.  I never said any of that.   Never referred to Byron.  Never once mentioned fighting.   Never once said someone small doesn't deserve a shot.  

It is about his dgame. Not his size.  

Being that small just doesn't hel his situation.  

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.  It makes you look like a goof.    I am very fair in my criticism toward Jordon.  

Also

I've been in the studio recording drums all night.  My apologies. my priority on a Saturday night wasn't debate hockey on the internet.  

here is your first rant

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted May 22 (edited) · Report post

It seems some people don't remember the Canucks constantly getting pushed around.   

This team needs skill AND size.  

Not one or the other.  

Im sure some goof is going to say

'well, that's the way the league is trending! Small fast guys!'

Nope.   Maybe in a handful of years, you might see that claim take shape, but in the mean time, keep those shrimps off the Canucks.  

Man do I dislike small weak players.  

The makeup and style of the league changes so often.   It wasn't long ago where big strong tough guys won you cups.  

I don't want to fill the roster with tiny twigs, then get beaten up by the teams who didn't dig the latest trend. 

Not every team team is going to follow the small guys.  Then one year a big team will will the cup, and everyone wants big strong players again.  

This guy is 5'8.   

When I was 13 years old, I was 5'10. 

I will not cheer for a guy I could beat up when I was a child. 

Just now, drummerboy said:

Your reading comprehension, strange aggressiveness and the

drummerboy

• Canucks Prospect
  •  
  • drummerboy
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts
  On 5/22/2017 at 8:38 AM, Hutton Wink said:

I think we were all embittered by 2011, and hate being pushed around and bullied.  Reality was though, if the Canucks had punished the Bruins with the powerplay, their crap would have stopped and we likely would have had a cup.  They just couldn't get it done although injuries, especially to the D, had a lot to do with it.  That was the start of our PP woes the past six years, and it's a mystery to me how you can have two elite players like the twins who cannot seem to figure out how to fix it.

Our tire fire of a power play is a totally different mystery.  

Our size issue has has been a problem for years though.  

Yes, 2011 was embarrassing. We got straight up punked out of the rink.  

We still continue to get to get pushed around though.   And for me personally, who prefers a big strong team, it is still embarrassing to watch.  

This is is a men's league. Why the heck are we begging for more children in the league.   After a while it is going to be a weak sad excuse for a game.  

It is just like men in general for real life. 

It's getting more and more acceptable to wear your little sisters pants.  

A man bun is a real thing.  

It is offensive to have any natural testosterone in your body. 

You can't just be a man anymore.  

Everyone loves these pampered, turbo sensitive, overly PC, wieners. 

It a handful of years, you will look around on the street and wonder 'where did all the man go?'

that is the problem with small people in the NHL.  

parts you like to pick and choose make for an annoying conversation.  

Have a great day.  

and here is your second rant

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Your reading comprehension, strange aggressiveness and the parts you like to pick and choose make for an annoying conversation.  

Have a great day.  

truth hurts read your posts I don't care if you don't respond at least man up and admit you said what you said. 

2 hours ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

This is probably true, but to not get at least a look at the end of last season with that line-up and lack of scoring... has to be more too it, who knows.

Bo is a beast. He gave management no choice but to build around him. I'm just saying with the exception of Bo and Gaunce (who could still be vegas bait), the team is pretty much Benning's team (signed,drafted,traded for). Hutton is the odd man out and wasn't really in their plans till he had a great camp two years ago.  Should be interesting to see what happens this summer.

I think the core of this team is still Burke/Nonis: Twins, Edler, Tanev.

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

truth hurts read your posts I don't care if you don't respond at least man up and admit you said what you said. 

here is your other post

It seems some people don't remember the Canucks constantly getting pushed around.   

Not one or the other.  

Nope.   Maybe in a handful of years, you might see that claim take shape, but in the mean time, keep those shrimps off the Canucks.  

The makeup and style of the league changes so often.   It wasn't long ago where big strong tough guys won you cups.  

I don't want to fill the roster with tiny twigs, then get beaten up by the teams who didn't dig the latest trend. 

Not every team team is going to follow the small guys.  Then one year a big team will will the cup, and everyone wants big strong players again.  

This guy is 5'8.   

3 minutes ago, bp79 said:

here is your other post

Not one or the other.  

This guy is 5'8.   

Just because you are taller doesn't mean you could beat him up.  Mike Tyson knocked out a lot of heavyweights at 5'10

Just now, mpt said:

Just because you are taller doesn't mean you could beat him up.  Mike Tyson knocked out a lot of heavyweights at 5'10

I agree 100% I was showing A quote from another member who claims small people don't belong in the NHL and the game is still built around slow tough guys, not shifty speedy players.

@bp79

you are hilarious.   If you read those posts without your mr serious literal pants on, it will make more sense to you.  

I related men in tight pants to the game of hockey.   

I made a crack at being able to beat up a pro hockey player as a 13 year old boy.  

If you want to take those two obviously silly rants seriously, that is your problem my friend.  

i will say for sure, I'm not a fan of smaller players.    

I like big fast hard hitting hockey.  

Im really not a fan of small super quick all offense style hockey.  

I love watching huge hits, defensive battles and stuff like that.  

So for me, Subban isn't going to provide those huge hits.   He isn't going to win those big defensive battles.  

He has his thing, and that's cool.  But it's not my style.   

Wtf is wrong with that?   You are a crazy person.   Who has time to dig through someone's posts and tag them 5 times in a row?   Just because I disagree and don't like the game your boy crush plays?

you are a waste of time man.  Get a life.  

Its freaking beautiful outside!

4 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

@bp79

you are hilarious.   If you read those posts without your mr serious literal pants on, it will make more sense to you.  

I related men in tight pants to the game of hockey.   

I made a crack at being able to beat up a pro hockey player as a 13 year old boy.  

If you want to take those two obviously silly rants seriously, that is your problem my friend.  

i will say for sure, I'm not a fan of smaller players.    

I like big fast hard hitting hockey.  

Im really not a fan of small super quick all offense style hockey.  

I love watching huge hits, defensive battles and stuff like that.  

So for me, Subban isn't going to provide those huge hits.   He isn't going to win those big defensive battles.  

He has his thing, and that's cool.  But it's not my style.   

Wtf is wrong with that?   You are a crazy person.   Who has time to dig through someone's posts and tag them 5 times in a row?   Just because I disagree and don't like the game your boy crush plays?

you are a waste of time man.  Get a life.  

Its freaking beautiful outside!

Actually it was 2 quotes. And I did it because you claimed you never said such things. Basically, you called me A liar so I defended myself. You have the maturity of A 5 year old resorting to name calling Boy crush I think not. Only defending him against bigots like you don;t bother responding I don't associate with people who judge based on size race or colour. Enjoy the weather. PS not every team can be full of big guys who can;t skate So throw on your lees and flannel shirt and have A great day.

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

Actually it was 2 quotes. And I did it because you claimed you never said such things. Basically, you called me A liar so I defended myself. You have the maturity of A 5 year old resorting to name calling Boy crush I think not. Only defending him against bigots like you don;t bother responding I don't associate with people who judge based on size race or colour. Enjoy the weather. PS not every team can be full of big guys who can;t skate So throw on your lees and flannel shirt and have A great day.

Haha hahahahah.  

My dad is half black! Lol

Considering I have a large amount of black people in my family, I would never judge someone based on their colour or race.   That would look pretty silly wouldn't it?  

Way to end a terrible conversation that lasted waaaaay too long, on one of the most ignorant things ive seen on this board.  

Consider yourself blocked. 

I personally think that Ben Hutton is overrated.

He skates well.  His decision making at both ends of the ice is mediocre.  He has a below average shot.  Not a special teams player.  While I do think time and experience will serve him well as far as decision making, I still dont see much more than a #3 D-man AT BEST. I do think that he's an NHL caliber player, but at 2nd and 3rd pairing minutes.

So Im not saying he's not valuable.  

Like it or not, Edler is still a better Dman and isnt going anywhere.  Juolevi will have surpassed him within a couple years.  You can argue that Sbisa currently has a more positive impact, and I dont believe he'll be taken via expansion.  Therell be better options at LD for LV via the expansion draft and through free agency, while they also only have so many roster spots for 1 way deals. I dont think Sbisa is a fit for them.

Now looking at the rebuild, theres holes everywhere.  If theres a deal out there for Hutton that makes sense, you make it.  Hes not a PPQB, offensive driver, shutdown presence, physical force, or analytical stud.  If hes none of those things, then hes not core talent and absolutely available for the right return.  Sure itll weaken the depth on the back end, but the reality is that Ben Hutton is just a plug until someone better replaces him, and thats the kind of asset you can find via UFA.  So if you can use your younger plugs to help you obtain current or future players that can be more than just a plug, its a no brainer.

Id say the same about Baertschi.  Really like the guy as a player, but hes just keeping the top 6 wing spot warm for someone else in all honesty.  I hope he finds a role like Sam Gagner did this year.

Consolidating Baertschi + Hutton for an upgrade at either position would be an astute move for this franchise.

I like Hutton and don't want to see him traded, but if Jim is faced with an offer he can't refuse, how can he not trade him?

Like almost everyone else on the team, it all boils down to what teams are offering for him, no more no less.

Well since we have a ton of needs.... LH is currently a relative strength (I say relative)

Edler

Hutton

Sbisa

Juolevi
Holm

Pedan

Brisebrois
Cedarholm

Assuming we can keep Sbisa and not lose him to expansion, we "could" still field a D on that side of:

Edler
Sbisa

Holm
Pedan

...and that isn't even counting bringing up Juolevi early or him knocking our socks off.

It isn't a Cup winning D.... but it also isn't the worst part of our roster.

If we lose Sbisa, then it becomes really hard to move Hutton though.

There is also the idea of Hutton kind of blocking Juolevi in development.  Juolevi can start on a 3rd pairing either this year or next, and have a steady Gudbranson beside him.  In 1-3 years of experience he should really be pushing for 2nd pairing minutes unless things go wrong.  Hutton is never likely to be a top pairing guy and would be miscast in that role, so that means pushing him down to to a 3rd pairing in his prime years which could be kind of a waste considering he could bring value to another gaping hole in our lineup.

I am perfectly happy trading Tanev before expansion so we can protect Sbisa, and then trading Hutton after for a premium when a bunch of teams are looking to fill holes on their 2nd pairings that were created by losing players to expansion.

Edler-Stecher

Sbisa-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Biega

Holm-Pedan

7 hours ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

This is probably true, but to not get at least a look at the end of last season with that line-up and lack of scoring... has to be more too it, who knows.

Not really, no.

With defensive deficiencies in the AHL, those would be magnified in the NHL. Subban would have to be very sheltered and put harder minutes on the other defencemen as a result. That would be a bit costly to call up just for a look, especially when we're limited on the number of call ups we can make after the trade deadline.

I guess you can say that's the "more to it" part. What it isn't is some conspiracy against him because he's a Gillis pick or anything like that.

Archived