The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton: Do We Really Need Him?

Horvats_Big_Head

hutton was horrible for the first part of the season - worst D on the team, and then his game started to turn around and he looked very good at times.  I would trade him if the deal was right, he has quite a bit of value.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:28 AM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

The answer is yes.

I am simply appalled at all of the people who are saying we should trade Ben Hutton, all because we made some depth signing today. Yeah, maybe Mr. Conservative Benning is saying we are not going to trade Tanev or Edler now, but there is a long way to go until the draft. When we are rebuilding and trying to get younger, why on Earth would we trade one of our best young Dman? It is dumb on so many levels. 

Reasons to not trade Ben Hutton:

1. He is a beauty and fan favorite. Everybody loves the guy. He is the guy in the locker room that everybody likes because he is so goofy. He will keep some of the guys together. Anybody who has been on a hockey team knows that these goofballs are important.

2. He is YOUNG with an affordable cap hit. He is growing with this team, being best buds with Horvat, Baer, Virtanen etc. Second year in the NHL playing top 4 minutes. Sure, he had some hiccups this year but that is no reason to give up on someone. He has shown many times what he is capable of and everyone should like what they see. Fast, good with the puck, good first pass, nice shot. He is a new age offensive defenseman for sure. 

3. We don't have the left side depth to trade him. We currently have Edler, Hutton, Sbisa (Hopefully gone by expansion), Pedan, and this new guy Holm. I would argue that Hutton is the most valuable of all those defenseman. I hate Edler with a passion, Hutton is a smarter player.

4. He is a nice person. No character flaws ala Evander Kane or other POS. 

Ben Hutton is perhaps the best thing that Mike Gillis did for this team aside from Bo Horvat, and people are throwing him into trade talks without any second thought. We need Ben Hutton. We need his defense. We need his smile. If anyone is traded, it should be Edler or Tanev. 

I hate Edler with a passion???? what?

Smarter player?  The first half of the season Hutton "the smarter player' was an absolute tire fire in his own end with his brainy plays.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:06 PM, Provost said:

Well since we have a ton of needs.... LH is currently a relative strength (I say relative)

Edler

Hutton

Sbisa

Juolevi
Holm

Pedan

Brisebrois
Cedarholm

Assuming we can keep Sbisa and not lose him to expansion, we "could" still field a D on that side of:

Edler
Sbisa

Holm
Pedan

...and that isn't even counting bringing up Juolevi early or him knocking our socks off.

It isn't a Cup winning D.... but it also isn't the worst part of our roster.

If we lose Sbisa, then it becomes really hard to move Hutton though.

There is also the idea of Hutton kind of blocking Juolevi in development.  Juolevi can start on a 3rd pairing either this year or next, and have a steady Gudbranson beside him.  In 1-3 years of experience he should really be pushing for 2nd pairing minutes unless things go wrong.  Hutton is never likely to be a top pairing guy and would be miscast in that role, so that means pushing him down to to a 3rd pairing in his prime years which could be kind of a waste considering he could bring value to another gaping hole in our lineup.

I am perfectly happy trading Tanev before expansion so we can protect Sbisa, and then trading Hutton after for a premium when a bunch of teams are looking to fill holes on their 2nd pairings that were created by losing players to expansion.

Edler-Stecher

Sbisa-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Biega

Holm-Pedan

Think it won't matter if we lose sbisa. If there was one defender that is replaceable it would be him.

not a big sbisa hater but you cld find a sbisa-like player on free agency or even take on a bad contract but decentish player like coburn or Macdonald as a stopgap/depth veteran guy

On 5/29/2017 at 7:31 AM, CaptainLinden16 said:

I hate Edler with a passion???? what?

Smarter player?  The first half of the season Hutton "the smarter player' was an absolute tire fire in his own end with his brainy plays.

Edler makes bonehead play after bonehead play. I don't need to explain this any further, it has been debated to death.

Hutton's upside is immense. He just might end up better than Edler ever was. 

4 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Edler makes bonehead play after bonehead play. I don't need to explain this any further, it has been debated to death.

Well, if you say so then I guess that's it. WRAP IT UP BOYS, WE'RE ALL DONE HERE! :P

Hopefully Hutton can avoid the injury issues which have plagued Edler these last few years, etc. etc.

regards,  G.

16 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

After 2 years of pro we do not know Hutton's true upside yet. 2 years of pro where he was thrown into top 4 play because of roster injuries. Fans comfortably write off Hutton based on this. Incredible. Last year Hutton played at +20 pounds and still showed very decent speed on rushes. 

Will Hutton be as good as Edler? In his day (prior to the back injury) Edler was very impressive but he had the advantage of a large Swedish group in Van. Helped his play for sure. I am confident Hutton's offense will equal Edler. It is Edler's physical  game that will challenge Hutton the most. IMO he realized that and added the pounds to give him more presence. Year 3 should show us a lot. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

After 2 years of pro we do not know Hutton's true upside yet. 2 years of pro where he was thrown into top 4 play because of roster injuries. Fans comfortably write off Hutton based on this. Incredible. Last year Hutton played at +20 pounds and still showed very decent speed on rushes. 

Will Hutton be as good as Edler? In his day (prior to the back injury) Edler was very impressive but he had the advantage of a large Swedish group in Van. Helped his play for sure. I am confident Hutton's offense will equal Edler. It is Edler's physical  game that will challenge Hutton the most. IMO he realized that and added the pounds to give him more presence. Year 3 should show us a lot. 

I'm not personally 'writing him off', I think he's got very good, 2nd pair upside.

But with his value being ED exempt, young and a promising player, not to mention possibly not a long term fit in management's eyes, it's only prudent to get an idea of his present value on the trade market for another piece that might be even more instrumental in the rebuild.

Hutton had a bump in value this year due to his exempt status.  He could be worth more over time, but if he isn't in the long term plans then yeah, trade him now. 

Tram really messes up the moves that could be made this offseason. He had passed Hutton on the depth chart in my mind. 

Hutton could garner a good player that would be exposed in the ED. Provided said player is better than Hutton and Baer, who could be lost in the ED if left exposed.  

It isn't a big list of players, but it is a unique set of circumstances that could land a Drouin type player.  

EmW

7 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hutton could garner a good player that would be exposed in the ED.

I wonder if say ANA or CBJ would consider Hutton for one of their ED risk D's...? We'd definitely need to trade one of Edler/Tanev ahead of the ED then though... 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I wonder if say ANA or CBJ would consider Hutton for one of their ED risk D's...? We'd definitely need to trade one of Edler/Tanev ahead of the ED then though... 

It's a tool in the trade tool box that can be used if the right deal comes along. 

If it does, expect a significant signing to patch the hole or OJ getting pressed into service. 

If it does happen, it will trigger a series of moves. 

Hutton for Fowler?  Example only...  the trade Tanev for a pick.  

Yeah lets get rid of a young kid with size and can skate as well as play in the top 4. Hutton had a tough go at the start of the year but played good down the stretch at the end of last year. Lot's of people on here say that Juolevi or the new flavor of the month in the draft will make him expendable, they haven't even played a game in the big's or may not even be anywhere near the actual ceiling of Hutton.

6 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It's a tool in the trade tool box that can be used if the right deal comes along. 

If it does, expect a significant signing to patch the hole or OJ getting pressed into service. 

If it does happen, it will trigger a series of moves. 

Hutton for Fowler?  Example only...  the trade Tanev for a pick.  

I might try to pry Vatanen... either way I think we've got the depth to keep OJ in London even after moving Tanev

Edler, Stecher

Fowler, Gudbranson

Holm, McEneny/Biega/UFA etc, etc

or something like:

Edler, Vatanen

Holm, Stecher

McEneny, Gudbranson

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'm not personally 'writing him off', I think he's got very good, 2nd pair upside.

But with his value being ED exempt, young and a promising player, not to mention possibly not a long term fit in management's eyes, it's only prudent to get an idea of his present value on the trade market for another piece that might be even more instrumental in the rebuild.

For sure. Always about what comes back and how they fit into the 'Plan'. As I have always said no player is untradeable.

On 6/1/2017 at 2:32 PM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

What hockey player doesn't make mistakes really? But, the fact that you realise it's been debated to death, at least is sounds like you realise there's a whole different side of it. It you have higher expectations than what Edler can deliver though, then you're just going to set yourself up to be disappointed in the end, just like most other players where too high of expectations are placed upon.

Anyway, as far as Hutton goes, I'm going to go with the classic "it depends" answer. No one expected him to show up at camp initially to make a spot on the team as a rookie. It wouldn't be unlike him to surprise again. Can he be as good as Edler? I guess time will tell really.

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

When it comes to Edler/Tanev, I don't think there's a trade to be made pre-ED. It just doesn't make sense from an asset management stand point. The team acquiring would lose a protection spot and we would have less suitors, likely resulting in worse offers. So I just don't see us being able to acquire any dmen until that domino falls. The only teams that will be interested in acquiring an unprotected player would be if that player was better than someone they were already protecting and then I could see a swap of players with an add on thrown in. So LV would still probably take the player they acquired but they woud get to keep the add on piece (picks/prospects). Does that make sense? So I'm sure Anaheim would probably be interested in the deal you suggested but then we'd be force to leave a guy like Edler or Gudbranson unprotected. So in the end it would look something like this:

Van:

Manson or Vatanen

Retains Sbisa

Ana:

Hutton

LV:

Edler

Rackal

Are we better off now? Is it worth it for Anaheim? If we take one of their dman, will LV end up taking Rackal? Would Anaheim rather have Hutton than Rackal? Pretty complicated!

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

I might try to pry Vatanen... either way I think we've got the depth to keep OJ in London even after moving Tanev

Edler, Stecher

Fowler, Gudbranson

Holm, McEneny/Biega/UFA etc, etc

or something like:

Edler, Vatanen

Holm, Stecher

McEneny, Gudbranson

Sounds good, where do I sign?

49 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

When it comes to Edler/Tanev, I don't think there's a trade to be made pre-ED. It just doesn't make sense from an asset management stand point. The team acquiring would lose a protection spot and we would have less suitors, likely resulting in worse offers. So I just don't see us being able to acquire any dmen until that domino falls. The only teams that will be interested in acquiring an unprotected player would be if that player was better than someone they were already protecting and then I could see a swap of players with an add on thrown in. So LV would still probably take the player they acquired but they woud get to keep the add on piece (picks/prospects). Does that make sense? So I'm sure Anaheim would probably be interested in the deal you suggested but then we'd be force to leave a guy like Edler or Gudbranson unprotected. So in the end it would look something like this:

Van:

Manson or Vatanen

Retains Sbisa

Ana:

Hutton

LV:

Edler

Rackal

Are we better off now? Is it worth it for Anaheim? If we take one of their dman, will LV end up taking Rackal? Would Anaheim rather have Hutton than Rackal? Pretty complicated!

The Tanev move would happen pre draft or free up a Tanev deal to a team that has room pre ED.  Hutton for a d man like Vatenen would be the first dominon to fall in a series of moves.  

Archived