The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) What now?

With JB saying that Edler and Tanev are not actively being shopped and Miller to be approached to stay, probably 2 year contract, then whats the next move.  Well in some cases we are seeing it, the signing of free agents as stop gap measure's. Maybe even finding a diamond in the rough. The next three years of drafting and prospects, with obvious overtones and Centre and a No#1 defence man.  In a past post I had related that getting to no#2 and retaining 5 gave the Canucks the best ability to shorten the rebuild. And the funny thing was looking at philly, they have only 1 right shot D man, and even he was a UFA. So the opportunity is there. But I do know this, the Sedin's need to be bumped down to 3rd line and still get 16 min of ice a night. Who know's they may just thrive there.

As for Anton, I say give him the chance. he may be the winger Sutter or Grandland needs. But he won't cost the Canucks anything. Virtanen will need another half to full year in the A to round out. So lets not try to panic about him. A hidden gem that I see could be Valk. Van i believe needs to get this kid signed. For what ever reason when i watch him play, he reminds me of a Johnny Gaudreau. Just a bit. But serious talent base.  Maybe Tanev becomes available at the trade deadline. But a major trade, JB probably stay's away from it, and stay's with drafting his team.

9 minutes ago, 12-16-FG said:

With JB saying that Edler and Tanev are not actively being shopped and Miller to be approached to stay, probably 2 year contract, then whats the next move.  Well in some cases we are seeing it, the signing of free agents as stop gap measure's. Maybe even finding a diamond in the rough. The next three years of drafting and prospects, with obvious overtones and Centre and a No#1 defence man.  

In a past post I had related that getting to no#2 and retaining 5 gave the Canucks the best ability to shorten the rebuild. And the funny thing was looking at philly, they have only 1 right shot D man, and even he was a UFA. So the opportunity is there. But I do know this, the Sedin's need to be bumped down to 3rd line and still get 16 min of ice a night. Who know's they may just thrive there.

As for Anton, I say give him the chance. he may be the winger Sutter or Grandland needs. But he won't cost the Canucks anything. Virtanen will need another half to full year in the A to round out. So lets not try to panic about him. A hidden gem that I see could be Valk. Van i believe needs to get this kid signed. For what ever reason when i watch him play, he reminds me of a Johnny Gaudreau. Just a bit. But serious talent base.  Maybe Tanev becomes available at the trade deadline. But a major trade, JB probably stay's away from it, and stay's with drafting his team.

The highlighted part is pretty much what is going on.  Sorry to break it to everybody.  There is no plan to do anything more.  I'm convinced of that and I started a thread a weak ago which put it out there that I thought the Canucks were a couple of top 10 picks away from having the nucleus of the 7 man core that Pierre McGuire keeps talking about.

Benning doesn't like advancing young players before they are ready.  That is what is behind keeping Tanev and Edler, the Sedins, signing Eriksson last year, Sutter and Miller.  He wants to develop properly and I think he learned his lesson over again when he promoted Virtanen and McCann too soon.  Careful development is what this is about.  When I put it out there 2 years ago that I thought development was 50% of the equation, I got disagreements from people.  Many think it's more.

I'm not worried.  I just hope that Benning remains patient and doesn't lose his nerve.  

Having said that, if some fool offers him the sun, the moon and the stars for Tanev, he will take it.

Stay the course is the answer to 'What Now?".  Build through the draft,  stock Utica with prospects, build a winning culture with character players. 

Valk has a huge uphill battle to play in the NHL in my view. The only reason he's part of this franchise is due to the Medicine Hat connection.   His last season in Utica was reasonable however so I won't entirely write the kid off,  but he's a huge long shot imo. 

Yep, just keep drafting well and developing the prospects. It's going to take a lot of patience and acceptance that this team is years away from contending in the playoffs. I'm okay with that as I'm enjoying the draft a lot more the last couple of years and it's great to see all of these skilled prospects being added to the Canucks family. Next stop, we lose a player to LV, and then draft more prospects.

I'm hoping for Vilardi, as he'd be a very good #2C, a big player who plays smart and focused on getting better. If Vilardi's not available at #5, I hope they draft Glass. He's another big C who can play wing. Apparently they say he's still growing, so he'll compliment his future skilled wingers (Goldobin, Dahlen, Molino, Lockwood, etc.). I'm assuming the top line will be Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser.

I think they'll leave the D alone this year, try to get as much as they can out of Edler and Tanev. A full season from Gudbranson would be nice. They signed Holm, and I'm sure he'll play or at least later in the season when Edler and Tanev are injured, which is possible. Biega may play more as well. Not sure about Juolevi. I would love to see him make the team. They'll re-sign Miller for a year (I hope it's not more). Markstrom will get more starts.    

What I would like to do is trade for niemi or lehtonen and a pick in exchange for a lower pick.

Like a second and niemi for a seventh rounder. And obviously don't sign Miller.   I would use Miller money to get the best ufa dman I could get even if I have to overpay.

Next year at the trade deadline then is when I would try to move edler and tanev for picks on the next draft.

Td is when we will get more for those players and we will have that ufa dman to fill at least one of those two spots and another year to developed what we have. Plus that draft is stronger  

What now? My guess would be management continuing to not be proactive with this so-called "rebuild", "retool", or "transition", keep or re-sign players who have no long term future with the team while their value in a trade continues to drop, maybe sign another albatross free agent, hope the team stays perfectly healthy throughout the season and have all the bounces go their way so they can squeeze into the playoffs and get destroyed. Sorry about the rant.

I think JB is going to be quite conservative and see how Green takes this team. I honestly think the Canucks team is better than they've played in the last 2 years and deserve to be a 9-10th overall sort of team in the conference, not a bottom feeder. A veteran coach would probably get us there. WD was good in some respects but bad in most and I think JB is going to see how a new coaching staff can deal with some very good pieces he's putting together.

I still feel we have a lot of holes. For the present, we're missing elite scoring and a top defenceman, and desperately missing gritty forwards who can throw the body. We're also missing puck moving defencemen who can score points and pass the puck nicely, but the pieces are in place. Stecher, Hutton, Holm, Edler, Subban, Juolevi, Brisebois and hopefully Raddysh have those capabilities, we just need them to play to their potential, especially Stecher, Holm, Subban and Hutton.

In the future we have plenty of holes. We still need a playmaking two-way center to replace Henrik, some hitting forwards and a top defenceman. I think that center will come in the 2017 draft. Vilardi, Mittelstatd and Glass all fill that role. In terms of the role, Hirschier > Nolan > Vilardi > Mittelstatd > Glass > Necas, but we'll see who JB things the BPA is, surely it'll be one of them so I think that'll fill one of our massive needs going forward to replace Henrik Sedin. 

A gritty hitting forward can be picked up just about anywhere. We have Virtanen brewing but can even pick up a UFA or trade or draft a big body in the later rounds to fill that need. Not a big pressing issue just yet.

The elite defenceman is the big glaring hole. Watching the Predators, Ducks and Senators make the Conference finals, it's pretty obvious what you need in today's NHL to win in the playoffs. Center depth, elite defencemen who can move the puck, a hot goalie and depth at the forward position on wing on the 3rd and 4th lines. That's been the recipe for success for a long time. Defence always wins championships, it won one against us in 2011 and it'll do the same year after year. For the Canucks, we have some nice future top-4 guys like Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tanev/Sbisa (if they're still with us) and maybe even Holm now. Guys like Pedan, Subban and Brisebois are a bit of a stretch and are a coin-toss. We have some good skaters and puck movers there. Juolevi, Hutton, Subban, Stecher and Holm all have the ability to skate and pass the puck nicely, we just need a good system that brings the best out of them. However, as good as Juolevi looks, he's not going to be "elite". We lack a Karlsson/PK Subban/Josi/Doughty/Keith, and where are we going to get one? The 2018 draft looks flush with elite defencemen, and they're pretty tough to trade for. I think JB is going to sit tight, acquire some 2018 picks, especially at the next deadline, and go hard for a top-5 pick no matter where we finish.

TL;DR - our big needs at center and defence may be filled through the 2017 draft (for the center) and 2018 draft (for the defenceman), so I wouldn't be surprised if JB sits tight and doesn't do much. We're a bad team with a long way to go, but I think and hope that a lot of that comes from the inside. Would love a big trade but wouldn't expect JB to go all out for one.

it is hard to say if JB will take at center or defense at #5 . he is looking for a playmaking center and a offensive d man. 

this team is rebuilding and only patience will see it built right. 

vilardi, glass, mittlestadt, heiskanen, makar or liljegren? probably a couple of years before any of them make it to the nhl.

with that in mind, we need the sedins for another year and a come back year from ericksson, sutter, gudbranson and edler. 

JB has a plan and right or wrong will stick to it. 

a lot of our success in the mean time will be determined of how improved players like horvat, boeser, baertschi, granlund, dahlen, goldobin, virtanen, hutton, stecher and juolevi will be.

Archived