The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer elected Conservative Party leader

Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow really. Lets try this again.... only takes 2 minutes..

Anti-abortion group RightNow cheers election of Andrew Scheer as Conservative leader

http://www.straight.com/news/915961/anti-abortion-group-rightnow-cheers-election-andrew-scheer-conservative-leader

• Andrew Scheer is the new leader of the Conservative Party of Canada.ANDREW SCHEER
  •  

Former House of Commons speaker Andrew Scheer can thank anti-abortionists for helping him become leader of the Official Opposition.

The "political pro-life" group RightNow claims to have sold thousands of memberships during the Conservative leadership campaign. And it has just issued a news release congratulating Scheer on his win.

RightNow states on its website that it's "committed to nominating and electing pro-life candidates".

It also declares that when there is "a majority of pro-life politicians in our legislatures...we’ll see pro-life legislation passed in our country".

"Andrew is a leader we are excited to work with because of his voting record, positive pro-life policies and his goal to unite the party and accept that social conservatives need to be part of the conversation," another RightNow cofounder, Scott Hayward, said in the news release.

Ya why bother actually listening to what Andrew himself said.

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am ok with paying more taxes to live in a country that offers better healthcare, education to its citizens. Also, i am happy to pay more taxes that allow women the right to choose and encourages equality for all its citizens....

the right to choose to kill unborn babies? Yea, who wouldn't want to PAY for that.

14 minutes ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

the right to choose to kill unborn babies? Yea, who wouldn't want to PAY for that.

Been that way for a while......

Canadians all pay for womens health services including Abortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Canada

Abortion in Canada is legal at all stages of pregnancy[1] and is governed by the Canada Health Act.[2] While some non-legal obstacles exist, Canada is one of only a few nations with no legal restrictions on abortion.[3][4]Regulations and accessibility vary between provinces.[5]

Prior to 1969 all abortion was illegal in Canada, the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1968-69 introduced by Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government legalized abortion as long as a committee of doctors signed off that it was necessary for the physical or mental well-being of the mother. In 1988, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in R. v. Morgentaler that the existing laws were unconstitutional and struck down the 1969 law. The then governing Progressive Conservatives attempted, but failed, to pass a new abortion law, and since then Canada has had no criminal laws governing the subject, and abortion is a decision made by a woman with her doctor. Without legal delays, most abortions are done at an early stage.[6]

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Been that way for a while......

Canadians all pay for womens health services including Abortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Canada

Abortion in Canada is legal at all stages of pregnancy[1] and is governed by the Canada Health Act.[2] While some non-legal obstacles exist, Canada is one of only a few nations with no legal restrictions on abortion.[3][4]Regulations and accessibility vary between provinces.[5]

Prior to 1969 all abortion was illegal in Canada, the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1968-69 introduced by Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government legalized abortion as long as a committee of doctors signed off that it was necessary for the physical or mental well-being of the mother. In 1988, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in R. v. Morgentaler that the existing laws were unconstitutional and struck down the 1969 law. The then governing Progressive Conservatives attempted, but failed, to pass a new abortion law, and since then Canada has had no criminal laws governing the subject, and abortion is a decision made by a woman with her doctor. Without legal delays, most abortions are done at an early stage.[6]

I'm not denying the law's existence itself, I'm just saying I'd rather not have to pay for something I morally disagree with. In contrast, you were saying you were happy to pay for abortion. I doubt Scheer would actually cut funding to it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

7 minutes ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

I'm not denying the law's existence itself, I'm just saying I'd rather not have to pay for something I morally disagree with. In contrast, you were saying you were happy to pay for abortion. I doubt Scheer would actually cut funding to it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Welcome to Canada.

4 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

It's funny that some still latch onto Trudeau beating Harper when someone criticizes Trudeau.  The election is long over. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I guess I still find it hilarious. Harper used the memory of PET - and a lot of myth and BS too - for 2 decades, and his son beats him. Its kind of epic. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

FYI  some people consider intolerance and denying women their rights to be an outdated idea also.......

lol... the runner up in the election is a full blown libertarian. This is proof that many Canadian conservative voters are socially liberal. 

4 hours ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

That's the thing about taxes. Whether you use something or like a policy or not it all gets paid to the government. I don't use public transportation, but my tax dollars go there to help fund it. Does that mean I complain about it? Nope I realize my taxes will go to some things I don't agree with, but living in Canada is well worth the tax admission to live here.

As far as Scheer the Conservative party just shot itself in the foot. There's a lot of people unhappy with Trudeau and his broken promises, but voters won't go for a leader who has socially conservative views (yes even if he does nothing about it they still won't). The majority of Canada wants a left leaning government. The left will strategically vote for either Trudeau or the new NDP leader (it'll be an interesting race to watch for a multitude of reasons) to make sure the Conservatives don't win. They learned the lesson the hard way of Harper.

12 hours ago, cdubuya said:

lol... the runner up in the election is a full blown libertarian. This is proof that many Canadian conservative voters are socially liberal. 

or the party is bi-polar and split between libertarians and social conservatives. 

Not my choice for the leadership of the Conservative Party, however would be willing to give him a chance to see what kind of policies and ideas he will bring. It would certainly be better than the garbage that the Trudeau government is doing, creating a massive fiscal mess with increasing debt and spending money like moronic drunken sailors.

Will not be voting Liberal in the next election. I cannot stand Trudeau. Hope the Conservatives can beat the crap out of him.

5 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Not my choice for the leadership of the Conservative Party, however would be willing to give him a chance to see what kind of policies and ideas he will bring. It would certainly be better than the garbage that the Trudeau government is doing, creating a massive fiscal mess with increasing debt and spending money like moronic drunken sailors.

Will not be voting Liberal in the next election. I cannot stand Trudeau. Hope the Conservatives can beat the crap out of him.

You say that, but how many billions did ole Stevo add to our national debt again????  I seem to remember one of his deficits being over $50 billion and him ADDING over $150 billion to our national debt.  I know that there will be all kinds of excuses for Stevo's credit card spree, but why the vitriol when JT does it??

On 5/27/2017 at 10:12 PM, Hutton Wink said:

If he doesn't think he could beat a silver-spoon trust fund boy who's never even held a real job, that speaks quite a bit about himself... or more likely Canadian voters in general.

You can say that about virtually all PM's in the last few years.  Law degrees but never really practiced or worthless economic degrees.  Didn't Harper start out filling photocopiers for Preston and hammering campaign signs in lawns.  Well I guess he does know which end of the hammer to hold I think.  He sure put his degree to practice.  And Joe Clarke that lame duck PM what did he do when turfed? Oh opened up an office in Calgary probably paid by business cronies whereby he was going to be a consultant on how to obtain government contracts.  The mob calls those guys bag men. But then again he would be dealing with organized crime.

Archived