The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour - Devils GM Ray Shero is receiving calls on #1 pick.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No...no man.  When a lottery has been completed and draft selection is finalized it is no longer a "lottery pick"...

Sigh...

I can't believe I have to do this...

The term 'lottery pick' has a whole bunch of different usages (not just the one or two you know about).  It can mean the picks that are the 'prize' in the lottery.  In the case of the NHL, this would be the Top-3.  But...  It can also means:  Any pick that is decided by entering the lottery.  In the NHL, this would be the Top-14 picks last year - or the Top-15 picks this year (thanks to Las Vegas entering).

I was going to list a few other usages, but actually, why even bother?  The above covers everything from Top-1 to Top-15 - and everything in-between.

And I am actually now doing this...

What?  You're going through all my old comments, looking for anything you can find that's wrong (and, judging by your lack of actual quotes, it appears you aren't finding much, eh)?

Any GM is going to field calls, but the allure of picking high is always too much to trade away.

Any offer we make should not include our 5th, the delta between the two picks just isn't enough to justify the cost.

A reasonable price would be something like Tanev+Virtanen or Subban+our 2nd round.

It would certainly be an offer that makes him think.... though probably doesn't pull the trigger regardless.

Us getting a top 6 Centre and a top pairing D  would make a huge difference to a rebuild.  You can fill out around that with another couple good picks over the next two years and we could actually be on the way up.

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

I'd rather just pick Glass. 

He's outscored Ryan Johansen, also a former Portland Winterhawk, in every single category comparing Johansen's draft year to Glass' draft year. We pick him and get a solid 1A centre to complement Horvat, who will be our 1B guy. Very similar to the setup we had him H. Sedin and Kesler when we were a contender. 

This +1000.  It just isn't the year to try and move up.  As others have posted, we don't have the extra pieces

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

::D This should be easy! I'll let Shero do one of the following deals:

• Sbisa + Sutter for the top pick. Sbisa was a top 2 defender for quite a bit of the season for the Canucks, and Sutter is technically our second-line center
  • Sbisa + our first rounder

I'll also throw-in some old Corey Schneider Vancouver jerseys for free.

This is the new Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st.  All of the above doesn't get you the 1st OA imo.

19 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Sigh...

I can't believe I have to do this...

The term 'lottery pick' has a whole bunch of different usages (not just the one or two you know about).  It can mean the picks that are the 'prize' in the lottery.  In the case of the NHL, this would be the Top-3.  But...  It can also means:  Any pick that is decided by entering the lottery.  In the NHL, this would be the Top-14 picks last year - or the Top-15 picks this year (thanks to Las Vegas entering).

I was going to list a few other usages, but actually, why even bother?  The above covers everything from Top-1 to Top-15 - and everything in-between.

What?  You're going through all my old comments, looking for anything you can find that's wrong (and, judging by your lack of actual quotes, it appears you aren't finding much, eh)?

OK man.  Define it how you will.  I am sure Benning will just toss it away like the rest of the lottery picks he's wasted ;)

48 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This is the new Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st.  All of the above doesn't get you the 1st OA imo.

I agree, but the OP's sources said it would: "Any likely trade would probably have to include a top 2 defender, top 6 center, or a top 4 defender + a good pick." So I'm giving Shero all that he supposedly wants:

• Sbisa was a top 2 defender for the Canucks for long stretches this season and even after the main guys came back from injury, he was still getting top 4 minutes
  • Sutter was the second-line center for the Canucks and if you want to argue that Bo was the 2C at the end of the year, Sutter was still definitely given top 6 forward billing (minutes, responsibilities, etc.)

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

By this logic, why bother with high picks at all?  Let's just trade them all for 6th rounders!  I mean, hey, those 6th rounders can be just as good as the #1 overall pick!

But, seriously, the #1 is worth more than the #5.  A lot more.  Suggesting it's not is ridiculous.  And, that isn't just an opinion.  We can actually figure out exactly how much more the pick is worth.  [That link should really be stickied, seeing as absolutely no one understands the true value of draft picks around here]

The #1 pick is worth a Top-3 forward or Top-2 defenseman.

The #5 pick is only worth a Top-7 forward or a Top-5 defenseman.

It's actually a humongous difference.  So, yes, the #5 pick could be better than the #1.  It almost surely won't, but it could...

bryzgalov-humongous-big-450x293_medium.jpg

3 hours ago, Pears said:

That makes literally no sense for us. 

We move Hutton, who's ceiling is dropping but is a servicable top-4 defenceman, for someone with plenty of upside like Sanheim. Former 1st round pick, putting up AHL points and he's the perfect puck moving defenceman JB is looking for.

With the #2 pick, we get Nolan or hopefully Hirschier, who's oodles better than Vilardi/Mittelstatd/Glass, and is our instant future top line center. Either could probably play in the NHL right away but we could send him back to junior and get him into the NHL as a 20 year old. As for Virtanen, we can fill that 3rd/4th line checking role with just about anyone.

Here's our future core:

Centers: Hirschier, Horvat, Sutter

Wingers: Dahlen, Boeser, Baertschi, Goldobin, Granlund

Defencemen: Sanheim, Juolevi, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tanev, Sbisa

Goalies: Demko, Markstrom

One trade that gives us a foundation for a Cup winner. All we really need to do from then on is bolster out our depth forwards with gritty powerforwards or checkers and maybe throw in a depth defenceman, and we're set.

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Asking price would at least be 5th overall, 33rd overall, and probably Tanev. Not worth it at all. Glass could be just as good. 

Tanev + 5th OA probably gets it done. Not sure if I would do it though. The return for Tanev + whoever we draft at 5th probably has more value. Really depends on what you think of Hirschier and Patrick. If you truly believe either of them will be a # 1 C, then you might make that trade. Otherwise the alternative has a good chance to work out to 3 2nd line forwards. 

59 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We move Hutton, who's ceiling is dropping but is a servicable top-4 defenceman, for someone with plenty of upside like Sanheim. Former 1st round pick, putting up AHL points and he's the perfect puck moving defenceman JB is looking for.

With the #2 pick, we get Nolan or hopefully Hirschier, who's oodles better than Vilardi/Mittelstatd/Glass, and is our instant future top line center. Either could probably play in the NHL right away but we could send him back to junior and get him into the NHL as a 20 year old. As for Virtanen, we can fill that 3rd/4th line checking role with just about anyone.

Here's our future core:

One trade that gives us a foundation for a Cup winner. All we really need to do from then on is bolster out our depth forwards with gritty powerforwards or checkers and maybe throw in a depth defenceman, and we're set.

Based on what? I've not once heard anyone say Hutton's ceiling is dropping. 

It's not worth trading up for this year, and if it was worth trading up for NJ wouldn't let it happen anyway. Wouldn't it be great to trade the #5 pick only to find out that he turned out to be the blue chip player coming out of round one. Our trading pieces can be better utilized elsewhere.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Here's our future core:

Hutton's ceiling dropped?  Why do you say that?  He's a big boy, who is showing he can put up points, while playing top four type minutes.  Plus, for a d, he's really young.  Personally I'd much rather move Tanev, and keep Hutton.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hope it's not our GM. This ain't the yr to even think about it.

Deep teams like Ana, CBJ, TBay & Winn are sensible to mull it over. ED is a further reason.

There is a pill for that ;)

I have wanted glass from the start. 

But im now in a toss up between him and either of the top D. 

But what i dont want to do ia give up assets to move up. 

Making a trade though to get anither top pick would be alright though. Drafting both top D would be something . 

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hutton's ceiling dropped?  Why do you say that?  He's a big boy, who is showing he can put up points, while playing top four type minutes.  Plus, for a d, he's really young.  Personally I'd much rather move Tanev, and keep Hutton.

I'd also rather move Tanev but JB has been pretty clear about his decision not to, whilst he's been mum about keeping/moving Hutton.

Hutton isn't exactly young anymore, he's 24, hasn't cracked the 30 point mark, had a similar if not worse sophmore season to his rookie campaign and realistically, he isn't a future elite defenceman. He's a 40 point guy at best with defensive woes, and a pretty inconsistent one at that. I'd love for him to really start to bloom but I don't think he's ever going to be that top pairing defenceman we need.

Sanheim on the other hand is that type of guy. Philadelphia are STACKED on the blueline and realistically would have Sanheim sitting in the AHL for far too long. This is the sort of player who can turn elite - someone with good pedigree and who was a mid-1st round pick, and has done nothing but improve over the course of his career from junior to the AHL level and impressed at every stage of the way. Those are the types of defencemen who end up leading a team.

Guys like Stecher, Hutton and even Tanev are all well and good, and are great top-4 defencemen, but they're far from "elite". Watching Josi, Subban, Ellis and Ekholm skate laps around the Penguins scoring goals, making pretty passes and playing hard physically defensively reminds me of what we really need in a defenceman, and unfortunately Hutton and Stecher ways off. They're far away from the complete package, and to be honest I don't know if I see Hutton ever getting there. 

13 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I have wanted glass from the start. 

But im now in a toss up between him and either of the top D. 

But what i dont want to do ia give up assets to move up. 

Making a trade though to get anither top pick would be alright though. Drafting both top D would be something . 

It'd be a fun idea and probably not the most efficient way to construct a rebuilding team. Drafting Vilardi and Mittelstatd on the other hand would be quite interesting. Gives us some of the best center depth in the West all of a sudden. Vilardi > Horvat > Mittelstatd > Sutter > Henrik > Gaunce. Throw Sutter or Mittelstatd onto the wing.

Drafting Vilardi and Heiskanen would be the smart move though.

Archived