The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour - Devils GM Ray Shero is receiving calls on #1 pick.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd also rather move Tanev but JB has been pretty clear about his decision not to, whilst he's been mum about keeping/moving Hutton.

Hutton isn't exactly young anymore, he's 24

24 is very young for a dman.  

They don't usually start hitting full stride until about 27-28.  

The kid has a lot of development time left, and is looking pretty damn good so far. 

, hasn't cracked the 30 point mark,

He has only played 2 seasons.  

had a similar if not worse sophmore season to his rookie campaign and realistically, he isn't a future elite defenceman.

Never heard of the sophomore slump?

It happens.   He is still really young. 

He's a 40 point guy at best with defensive woes, and a pretty inconsistent one at that. I'd love for him to really start to bloom but I don't think he's ever going to be that top pairing defenceman we need.

A 40 point dman would be great.  

His d play isn't terrible, and again he is really young and has a long time to get better.  

How can you be so down on a kid that has already proven a lot at a young age?   

Sure, I don't think he will be a top pairing player, but to already be a solid top 4 at his age says a lot for the guy.  

He doesn't need to be a top pairing defensman.  

You know we dress 6 Dmen each game?  We will need bottom 4 as well!

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Sigh...

I can't believe I have to do this...

The term 'lottery pick' has a whole bunch of different usages (not just the one or two you know about).  It can mean the picks that are the 'prize' in the lottery.  In the case of the NHL, this would be the Top-3.  But...  It can also means:  Any pick that is decided by entering the lottery.  In the NHL, this would be the Top-14 picks last year - or the Top-15 picks this year (thanks to Las Vegas entering).

I was going to list a few other usages, but actually, why even bother?  The above covers everything from Top-1 to Top-15 - and everything in-between.

What?  You're going through all my old comments, looking for anything you can find that's wrong (and, judging by your lack of actual quotes, it appears you aren't finding much, eh)?

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK man.  Define it how you will.  I am sure Benning will just toss it away like the rest of the lottery picks he's wasted ;)

Hey, boys, seh-man-tics or se-mahn-tics?

The answer is se-man-tics; meaning, you're both wrong. 

It'd be a fun idea and probably not the most efficient way to construct a rebuilding team. Drafting Vilardi and Mittelstatd on the other hand would be quite interesting. Gives us some of the best center depth in the West all of a sudden. Vilardi > Horvat > Mittelstatd > Sutter > Henrik > Gaunce. Throw Sutter or Mittelstatd onto the wing.

Drafting Vilardi and Heiskanen would be the smart move though.

Im one of those guys who thinks that centerman should play center. Thats to many centers 

This same thread pops up before the draft every year. If he was not getting phone calls for the #1 pick, he would probably be lying, the media would have no story to tell and the entire hockey world would probably collapse out of panic that GMs were not talking with each other. lol

That aside, I would think every team would be interested to an extent. However, I also think with picks we have to think long run. How much better will Patrick be compared with who we can pick at 5 after 5 years? I don't think next year should matter as much with this and we really have to think long term. Therefore, is the price really going to be worth it for us in the end?

It'd be a fun idea and probably not the most efficient way to construct a rebuilding team. Drafting Vilardi and Mittelstatd on the other hand would be quite interesting. Gives us some of the best center depth in the West all of a sudden. Vilardi > Horvat > Mittelstatd > Sutter > Henrik > Gaunce. Throw Sutter or Mittelstatd onto the wing.

Drafting Vilardi and Heiskanen would be the smart move though.

2 guys that haven't even been drafted or played an NHL game(let Alone a pro game) yet are better than henrik Sedin??? Excuse me but that might be the most ignorant thing I've ever heard in my entire life. That one sentence blows every rediculous proposal out of the water 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  It's a bad idea anyway, since the guy we get at five could easily be better than the guy chosen at one.  We can't afford it; it's not worth it.

What about if we kept the #5 pick AND landed the #1 or #3 pick though?  We give up a known good asset that's peaking at the wrong time for the chance of picking up a good asset that will peak at a more timely point in the future.  Big downsides are that you don't know what you'll really get and you give up veteran leadership to help the young players.  Tough call.

10 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

TBH I would rather not trade our #5 pick. I'd rather trade Tanev/ Edler/ Virtanen/ Sbisa/ our 2nd rd and later picks for the 3rd OA . The 1st OA will cost so much and the marginal benefit isn't worth it.

VAN

1st Overall '17

NJ

5th Overall '17

Baertschi

Sbisa

11 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I doubt they would want Sbisa. They would want Tanev or Gud.

according to NJ fans they are loaded with right shot D all of them overpaid like Bogosian. in any deal involving the Canucks, it wouls include A cap dump from them Tanev and prolly Horvat in which JB hangs up the phone.Only semi-elite prospect we have at the moment is Brock. Not saying some of the rest won;t turn into elite players, shirobut if Shiro are you really trading away A possible #1 centrer for Just Tanev.Maybe Tanev our 5th our 33rd TBJs 2nd and olli or Gaudette. Why overpay and gut our prospects when the best player could be picked anywhere from 1st to 10th I think Neikas and Petterson might end up being better. Maybe even Lilegren our glass

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

This same thread pops up before the draft every year. If he was not getting phone calls for the #1 pick, he would probably be lying, the media would have no story to tell and the entire hockey world would probably collapse out of panic that GMs were not talking with each other. lol

That aside, I would think every team would be interested to an extent. However, I also think with picks we have to think long run. How much better will Patrick be compared with who we can pick at 5 after 5 years? I don't think next year should matter as much with this and we really have to think long term. Therefore, is the price really going to be worth it for us in the end?

Tanev and #5 for Patrick?

And GM who wouldn't do that is an idiot

8 hours ago, sonoman said:

This +1000.  It just isn't the year to try and move up.  As others have posted, we don't have the extra pieces

Wow wasn't aware Glass had such A good year. Did he play on A stacked Winterhawks team? or is that all him?

10 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

People need to include jake and Hutton in our group moving fwd. Both still young and oozing with potential

Finally A smart post. I can't believe the hate Jake gets. The guy had major shoulder surgery setting back his =1 draft year..When he made the Canucks he was stapled to the 4th line playing 8 minutes A night, or sitting on the bench or up in the press box. I have never seen A prospect so mishandled and yes last year was on him, but in his rookie season if he got the top 6 minutes and pp time like Ktchuck, the guy most of cdc wanted to be drafted. I'll bet my house he would have scored more than 13 goals, hit like A freight train and gotten more points. How bout lets give him this year to prove all the ankle breakers wrong.Anyone willing to give up on him after one season is an idiot.

And while on the subjects of wasted draft picks how can guys say we wasted 2 lottery picks when Jake has gotten the shaft but instead of whining about it did everything the org asked of him. And to call olli A bust after playing no meaningful games is A joke. 

He actually had A  better season this year used primarily on the secon pairing to spread the wealth around. His numbers were better then any other D taken in the same draft, Bust my ass,

4 hours ago, Eastsidenuck said:

2 guys that haven't even been drafted or played an NHL game(let Alone a pro game) yet are better than henrik Sedin??? Excuse me but that might be the most ignorant thing I've ever heard in my entire life. That one sentence blows every rediculous proposal out of the water 

Obviously not for next season, but in the near future.

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

How can you be so down on a kid that has already proven a lot at a young age?   

Sure, I don't think he will be a top pairing player, but to already be a solid top 4 at his age says a lot for the guy.  

He doesn't need to be a top pairing defensman.  

You know we dress 6 Dmen each game?  We will need bottom 4 as well!

I agree Hutton will be good and a very decent top-4 defenceman who can log 20 minutes for us, but if we've got a chance to "trade-up" a defenceman from our top-4 to get a potentially elite defenceman, I think we have to do it.

Hutton doesn't have to be a top D-man, but this Canucks team needs someone. We don't have center depth to trade for one, we might have depth at wing to trade for one, otherwise we'll have to trade up a top-4 defenceman to get one and that comes from Hutton.

For me, I wouldn't be happy going into our "prime" Cup runs in 3-5 years time without an elite defenceman, with our D stacked up the way it is now. Juolevi is close, Hutton, Stecher, Sbisa, Tanev and Gudbranson are all good to above-average defencemen but we don't have anyone who I'd consider elite, let alone top-10 in the (future) league. Every team that's won a Cup has an elite defenceman, the last team to do so without a Norris-candidate was Carolina. I'd make the exception for Pittsburgh, they've had Letang in and out of the lineup but when you're as stacked as they are it doesn't matter who they throw on the back-end. We aren't going to have 2 generational talent centers so I think we need to construct a decent 7 man core and one big hole at the moment is a top elite defenceman.

I really hope Juolevi fills that role but even scouts doubt he'll be that sort of Karlsson-type player, which is why I think we need to start thinking about either drafting one (the 2018 draft looks flush with top defencemen in the first 15 picks) or trade for one.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I agree Hutton will be good and a very decent top-4 defenceman who can log 20 minutes for us, but if we've got a chance to "trade-up" a defenceman from our top-4 to get a potentially elite defenceman, I think we have to do it.

Hutton doesn't have to be a top D-man, but this Canucks team needs someone. We don't have center depth to trade for one, we might have depth at wing to trade for one, otherwise we'll have to trade up a top-4 defenceman to get one and that comes from Hutton.

For me, I wouldn't be happy going into our "prime" Cup runs in 3-5 years time without an elite defenceman, with our D stacked up the way it is now. Juolevi is close, Hutton, Stecher, Sbisa, Tanev and Gudbranson are all good to above-average defencemen but we don't have anyone who I'd consider elite, let alone top-10 in the (future) league. Every team that's won a Cup has an elite defenceman, the last team to do so without a Norris-candidate was Carolina. I'd make the exception for Pittsburgh, they've had Letang in and out of the lineup but when you're as stacked as they are it doesn't matter who they throw on the back-end. We aren't going to have 2 generational talent centers so I think we need to construct a decent 7 man core and one big hole at the moment is a top elite defenceman.

I really hope Juolevi fills that role but even scouts doubt he'll be that sort of Karlsson-type player, which is why I think we need to start thinking about either drafting one (the 2018 draft looks flush with top defencemen in the first 15 picks) or trade for one.

Potentially

Meanwhile we have lost potentially one of our best defensemen for a crapshoot.

I think it is way too early to know what we have in Hutton, what we do know though is he plays with plenty of heart, enthusiasm and has an infectious personality which helps the moral of the team.

Archived