The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL projects next season's salary cap to be $73-77M

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly announced Monday that next season's salary cap is expected to remain flat, depending on whether the NHLPA exercises its five percent growth escalator.

The salary cap for the 2016-17 season was set at $73 million, and Daly said it would grow to "$77 million and change" if the inflator is used by players.

Growing the cap also grows players' escrow, which has been an ongoing problem when it comes to collective bargaining between the NHL and NHLPA.

Daly said the NHL and its players will meet next week to discuss whether the escalator will be used.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1310013-nhl-projects-next-season-s-salary-cap-to-be-73-77m

5 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I could see a case for the full 5% increase to give additional negotiating power for Las Vegas to try and acquire some premiere UFAs to help make their team competitive

Man, even without UFA's I think this will be the most competitive expansion team ever. Just looking at the potential rosters they can make... no superstars but they can make 4 lines compiled of 2nd liners... as for d, again no true #1 but their top 6 can be all #2-3 guys on most teams. I'd be shocked if they don't succeed right off the bat.

20 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man, even without UFA's I think this will be the most competitive expansion team ever. Just looking at the potential rosters they can make... no superstars but they can make 4 lines compiled of 2nd liners... as for d, again no true #1 but their top 6 can be all #2-3 guys on most teams. I'd be shocked if they don't succeed right off the bat.

Yeah pretty much, they literally could be fighting for a wild card playoff spot this coming year if the coaching staff can get everyone on board.

Sedins make 6 mill on contract but around 4.2 mill after escrow. Veterans have been moaning and groaning about the escalator for past few years. I can see them go against union head office and not initiate the escalator at all this year

46 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm sure their plan involves getting a top 2 pick for the 2018 draft (Dahlin or Svechnikov). So I expect that rather than going for wins, they'll be doing a lot of deals during the expansion draft - "hey, team X, I'll take your worst player if you give me a draft pick" or "let's take good player X with the hope that we can trade him for a draft pick later on".

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

I could see a case for the full 5% increase to give additional negotiating power for Las Vegas to try and acquire some premiere UFAs to help make their team competitive

Vegas is going to have trouble reaching the cap floor, what are you smoking?

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sedins make 6 mill on contract but around 4.2 mill after escrow. Veterans have been moaning and groaning about the escalator for past few years. I can see them go against union head office and not initiate the escalator at all this year

Have they? When was this? When have veterans been moaning about a cap increase? I've literally never heard this before your made up fact post

19 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Have they? When was this? When have veterans been moaning about a cap increase? I've literally never heard this before your made up fact post

Have you not been following the controversy with the escrow and the impact on take home player salary? I understand it is some dry stuff to care about, but please don't go insulting people on the boards and saying they are making up facts because you haven't been closely following that particular angle. 

Essentially the cap escalator is good for players that haven't signed contracts yet: It gives them more cap space to bargain in. But for anyone that already has a contract, the increasing cap literally takes money out of their pocket in escrow. Many of the vets (on established contracts) are very unhappy about this, and have been for years. to quote:

"Let’s consider a hypothetical player making $5m a year from 2014-15 into 2015-16. Without the cap escalator, that player is losing 13.8% to escrow, which effectively drops his salary to $4.31m. But with the cap escalator, escrow rises to 16.0% and his effective salary drops to $4.20m. The escalator has cost this player $110k. While it's arguably a drop in the bucket to a millionaire, others would tell you that every dollar counts. There is also the principle of the matter. These players were promised a certain amount of money and now they are not receiving it in full."

I still think they will choose the escalator. But @WHL rocks is certainly not making up facts. 

21 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Have you not been following the controversy with the escrow and the impact on take home player salary? I understand it is some dry stuff to care about, but please don't go insulting people on the boards and saying they are making up facts because you haven't been closely following that particular angle. 

Essentially the cap escalator is good for players that haven't signed contracts yet: It gives them more cap space to bargain in. But for anyone that already has a contract, the increasing cap literally takes money out of their pocket in escrow. Many of the vets (on established contracts) are very unhappy about this, and have been for years. to quote:

"Let’s consider a hypothetical player making $5m a year from 2014-15 into 2015-16. Without the cap escalator, that player is losing 13.8% to escrow, which effectively drops his salary to $4.31m. But with the cap escalator, escrow rises to 16.0% and his effective salary drops to $4.20m. The escalator has cost this player $110k. While it's arguably a drop in the bucket to a millionaire, others would tell you that every dollar counts. There is also the principle of the matter. These players were promised a certain amount of money and now they are not receiving it in full."

I still think they will choose the escalator. But @WHL rocks is certainly not making up facts. 

Also read somewhere that most players were only refunded 2.05% of the 15% that they gave up to escrow. This situation is only going to get worse with LVK and whatever other expansion team is coming also. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

This works in our favour. Tanev's contract is very reasonable and he'll be a bargain compared to some UFAs, so it makes him even more trade-able. 

If Linden and Benning even consider trading him which from what we've seen, they won't. 

Just now, morrissex95 said:

If Linden and Benning even consider trading him which from what we've seen, they won't. 

they would for the right offer, and it wouldn't have to be lopsided.  TO, Tampa and Dallas all have the pieces to get him if they want, and it would be a win-win for both sides, but as we've seen trades that makes sense often don't happen. 

28 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Damn I didn't realize it could take a veterans take home from 4.31 mill to 4.2 million... how's he supposed to put food on the table?!!?!!?

Archived