The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GM Jim Benning talks about the NHL Combine, 2017 Expansion Draft and 2017 NHL Draft

I watched this last night, its a pretty non informative video where he really discusses nothing of any importance.   He's learned his lesson on what to say to the fans and media, but it makes for some pretty boring interviews

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

I watched this last night, its a pretty non informative video where he really discusses nothing of any importance.   He's learned his lesson on what to say to the fans and media, but it makes for some pretty boring interviews

Meh. It's the off-season. Boring news is better than no news. Besides, he does say that they will be looking into trades that will help this team both before the expansion draft and at the draft. That should ease some concerns around here from people that took the fact that he will not be "shopping" Edler and Tanev as Benning will sit on his hands and do nothing. 

It's weird having a GM who always looks and talks so passively. How does he expect to negotiate from a position of power when he has no concept of a power pose or confident tones?

To all the negatives: 

Take a look at negotiating strategies and you will find that confidence is a large part of negotiating. This was never a jab at Benning, but a question of whether he behaves this way during negotiations or if he changes his personality in that setting. You all say I don't know what I'm talking about and that power poses or confident speaking is not important. Rather than rant about it, here is an article from HARVARD. I think they might be credible.

https://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/business-negotiations/fake-it-until-you-make-it-power-posing-and-perceptions-of-power/ 

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's weird having a GM who always looks and talks so passively. How does he expect to negotiate from a position of power when he has no concept of a power pose or confident tones?

It's all about the facial expressions? 

Not much worse than Jim Rutherford. 

I'll trade media friendly, for talent evaluation, and being able to improve the club. Such as.....

Just now, sun lover said:

Why do we keep loosing players...Tram now Shore....was Willie that bad and no one wants to play here?????

Tram was a loss. Shore was purely a stop-gap to fill a roster spot without taking from Utica when we were decimated by injuries at the end of last season. Losing him has zero bearing on players wanting or not wanting to sign here. We most likely would not have offered him a contract anyway. He was awful. 

2 minutes ago, sun lover said:

Why do we keep loosing players...Tram now Shore....was Willie that bad and no one wants to play here?????

Drew Shore, 14 games, 2 assists. But 22 hits. Pretty sure Virtanen can match that. 

Tram sort of seemed tentative, like he didn't want to draw a penalty. But that was more of a personal thing on why he left. 

There's going to be turnover. I was more disappointed we let two late round d-men walk without giving them one last chance to see if they can make an impact at training camp.

16 minutes ago, sun lover said:

Shore was a warm body to make up for all the injuries and the trading of Burr and Hansen.

I wouldve been upset if he had come back.  Hes done in the NHL.

31 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Meh. It's the off-season. Boring news is better than no news. Besides, he does say that they will be looking into trades that will help this team both before the expansion draft and at the draft. That should ease some concerns around here from people that took the fact that he will not be "shopping" Edler and Tanev as Benning will sit on his hands and do nothing. 

Three weeks from now there's going to be plenty of action.  Buckle up!

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

:picard:

How many interactions between Benning and other GMs have you observed?

How many have you?  All we have to go on is his public persona, which isn't really fantastic.  He comes across as rather simple, right?

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Take a seat, because Trader Jim is going to make some BIG BIG moves soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanev gone for another top 15 pick

Hutton for Sam Reinhart

And more to come!!!!

GO JIMBO GO!!!!!

Well, that would be great. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many have you?  All we have to go on is his public persona, which isn't really fantastic.  He comes across as rather simple, right?

Thank you, this is what I was getting at. Maybe something happens and he completely changes when he talks to other GM's but from what I have seen, he is very passive.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

While I empathize, Jimbo did manage to get Dahlen and Goldobin as well as convince Holm. Based on Tryamkin's interview, his loss was probably more on Willie and on Tryamkin's desire to play closer to home. In any event, hopefully, Jim's public persona is different from his private one.

Archived