The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GM Jim Benning talks about the NHL Combine, 2017 Expansion Draft and 2017 NHL Draft

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I used to bump into him in the elevator a lot when we lived in the same building. He uses two cell phones at the same time, I saw him texting in one hand and talking on the other one several times. 

Were the phones on? :)

Just now, Alflives said:

That's so cool!  Thanks for being that proverbial 'fly'.  

I have no idea really, but it sure sounded like a heavy player discussion one time and then a couple days later the deal was done. He moved tho so thats it for the Jimbo info. 

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I have no idea really, but it sure sounded like a heavy player discussion one time and then a couple days later the deal was done. He moved tho so thats it for the Jimbo info. 

He moved out of the Drake?  Why?  :lol:

31 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

A lot of fans have been waiting over 40 years for a cup, pretty sure thats a lot of patience. 

i have too, there isn't anything that people feel or want that is new to me. i also believe that while sports and outcomes are important, that sports are just games and to me, the effort the teams gives is what is most important to me. i doubt that the canucks win a cup in my life time, so i'll just enjoy this team until i leave this mortal coil. 

52 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Losing Shore is of course no problem. The bigger problem is that the Canucks are a weak enough team that a guy like Shore is even in the conversation for a spot on the team.

That said, it is correct that the Canucks are not a "destination" team right now -- a place where guys want to go. Some guys, like Holm, whose talent is marginal by NHL standards, might see the Canucks as their best shot to make the NHL. And some veterans approaching the end of their careers (like Eriksson) might be willing to accept a large overpayment to live in a nice place. And maybe one or two guys might want to come "home", like Stecher.

But it will be hard for the Canucks to attract high quality undrafted free agents or UFAs. And even a guy like Guddy will want an overpayment to stay. And even the RFAs, although they do not have a lot of choice, will probably be less than enthusiastic and won't be willing to sign on a bargain rates.

Right now, the draft is the only reasonable way to build a better team. .

shore was never in the convo about anything other than filling a spot so they didn't have to touch Utica, but feel free to continue with your chicken little posts.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i have too, there isn't anything that people feel or want that is new to me. i also believe that while sports and outcomes are important, that sports are just games and to me, the effort the teams gives is what is most important to me. i doubt that the canucks win a cup in my life time, so i'll just enjoy this team until i leave this mortal coil. 

I hear what you're saying, but deep down true fans that have stuck with this team for most of their life, would really love to see them hoist the cup just once before they leave this world. I'm sure you would also.

7 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I hear what you're saying, but deep down true fans that have stuck with this team for most of their life, would really love to see them hoist the cup just once before they leave this world. I'm sure you would also.

of course we all want to see a cup here. but benning is trying to rebuild this team. he not only has to build this team for the cup run but has to out build 30 other teams. realistically, that won't happen for several years. my brother had season's tickets from day one. he died in 99, never saw a cup but he loved his team. some of you will probably see a cup. good luck with that. i'll enjoy the journey ever year till i'm gone. 

56 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I used to bump into him in the elevator a lot when we lived in the same building. He uses two cell phones at the same time, I saw him texting in one hand and talking on the other one several times. 

I don't know what's more impressive, that Benning was your neighbour or that he got cell service in the elevator?

7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I know its a joke, but Trump would own as a GM.

You're joking right? Trump pretty much killed the USFL as a viable league. Because we wanted to go head to head in the fall against the NFL. 

His team the New Jersey Generals never made it past the first round in the playoffs. Trump only makes money in real estate. And unless you're an idiot and buy land next to a waste dump, or nuclear power station, you pretty much can't lose money in real estate. Everything else Trump Air, the New Jersey Generals, Trump Steaks, Trump University all

went out of business. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're joking right? Trump pretty much killed the USFL as a viable league. Because we wanted to go head to head in the fall against the NFL. 

His team the New Jersey Generals never made it past the first round in the playoffs. Trump only makes money in real estate. And unless you're an idiot and buy land next to a waste dump, or nuclear power station, you pretty much can't lose money in real estate. Everything else Trump Air, the New Jersey Generals, Trump Steaks, Trump University all

went out of business. 

He is the president. He convinced half of America to vote for him. All he would have to do is convince someone to trade a pick here and there.

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

He is the president. He convinced half of America to vote for him. All he would have to do is convince someone to trade a pick here and there.

Ever heard of the phrase: "There's a sucker born every minute?".

Archived