The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Possible Deal with TB

Tanev (Canucks protect for bolts in Expansion Draft) + Sutter to TB

for

Drouin + 2017 1st(14th overall) to Vancouver

Why TB does this; The bolts are in big trouble with the expansion draft as Callahan and Filppula have to be protected, which means the Bolts will have to go 7-3-1 ratio, leaving the back end rather exposed. The upside to this deal would be that the Canucks protect Tanev (whom would look amazing with Hedman as a top pair right-side D) for the bolts allowing the Bolts to in essence go 7-4-1. They also get a very good shut down center who thrived in the Eastern Conference.

The Canucks give up a lot, however, they are rebuilding and Drouin's becomes a piece we can build around, and another first round pick is exactly what the doctor ordered for this club.

Canucks give up a lot, but not enough.  Expansion draft aside, I think Drouin and Tanev could be considered comparable, but Sutter isn't worth a mid-round first pick in a draft where the top picks outside the first two are constantly revolving.

They keep saying the person that gets the better player wins the trade.

Can you say Tanev is better than Drouin?

I see where you're coming from but unsure it would happen as there are 7 teams I can think of that can capably field a better offer with more intrinsic pieces for Tampas current route vs what we'd offer.  As well, that's giving Tampa with cap issues almost $9 ish million in added cap....unsure it would work out

A - Filppula is a Flyer... so not really a worry about protecting him eh?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lightning-acquire-defenceman-mark-streit-flyers/

B - Overvaluing Tanev and Sutter (sutter without retaining salary would not amass much return at all)

C - Any deal like this will have to include taking Callahans albatross back

D - Tanev for Drouin... a little overplayed much? Couldn't you have just hit search and added your modifications to one of the 37 other tanev for drouin threads?

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Have a plan to convince Sutter to waive his NTC?

JB - "We don't think you fit this team at the moment, and realistically we are going to not be competitive for at least 3 years, want a chance to win and pay 20% less taxes?"

BS - "&^@# yeah!"

18 minutes ago, Misconduct16 said:

JB - "We don't think you fit this team at the moment, and realistically we are going to not be competitive for at least 3 years, want a chance to win and pay 20% less taxes?"

BS - "&^@# yeah!"

Yet they purposely traded for him, re-signed him with NTC, and called him a "foundational player" for this team.

Sutter is foundation to Vancouver and thus worth far far more to JB than any player they could trade him for (which is pretty much no one with his salary where it is).

Tanev (despite his worth to the canucks) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Drouin in value

2 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

for

Why TB does this; The bolts are in big trouble with the expansion draft as Callahan and Filppula have to be protected, which means the Bolts will have to go 7-3-1 ratio, leaving the back end rather exposed. The upside to this deal would be that the Canucks protect Tanev (whom would look amazing with Hedman as a top pair right-side D) for the bolts allowing the Bolts to in essence go 7-4-1. They also get a very good shut down center who thrived in the Eastern Conference.

The Canucks give up a lot, however, they are rebuilding and Drouin's becomes a piece we can build around, and another first round pick is exactly what the doctor ordered for this club.

we're still going to need Sutter or a guy like Sutter for shutdown minutes. Plus I don't think TB wants the additional salary. Tanev for Drouin straight up maybe?

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

we're still going to need Sutter or a guy like Sutter for shutdown minutes. Plus I don't think TB wants the additional salary. Tanev for Drouin straight up maybe?

If we could get either Drouin or Sam Reinhart for Tanev, which would be best for us?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could get either Drouin or Sam Reinhart for Tanev, which would be best for us?

I think SR, but Drouin is probably the cheaper of the two to get. Its bye bye Baer tho in that case, so Maybe Tanev, Baer, 2nd rounder for Drouin and Tampa's 14th? Still doesn't seem like enough tho when the 1st round pick is thrown in there. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I think SR, but Drouin is probably the cheaper of the two to get. Its bye bye Baer tho in that case, so Maybe Tanev, Baer, 2nd rounder for Drouin and Tampa's 14th? Still doesn't seem like enough tho when the 1st round pick is thrown in there. 

Agreed.  Doesn't feel like it hurts us enough.  That's Tavev for the 14th, which feels painful enough to be fair.  But the Baer and a second for Drouin doesn't get my pain sensors going.  Maybe getting Sam R. for that package would be better, with no picks coming back our way?

Just now, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Doesn't feel like it hurts us enough.  That's Tavev for the 14th, which feels painful enough to be fair.  But the Baer and a second for Drouin doesn't get my pain sensors going.  Maybe getting Sam R. for that package would be better, with no picks coming back our way?

according to @SabreFan1 Sam is happy in Buffalo so i just can't see it. Of course he could be lying... 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ya, Sam was really happy sitting on the bench.  I doubt anyone is happy in Buffalo?  :o

Where is the coach now that sat him during that game again?  Oh, that's right, the unemployment line...

So players would be happier on the 2nd worst team in the league rather than the fifth worse team?  The Russian that we just signed to an ELC chose Buffalo over Chicago, Calgary, Columbus, and Pittsburgh.  The city is doing an ok job of selling itself to NHL players.

On 5/30/2017 at 10:48 AM, captaincowbasher said:

for

I like it, I'm guessing we need to add though. Toss in a pick or take back a contract (which frees up some cash to allow then to sign their rfas) I'm all in for Druin to come to town and fill the roll with horvat/boeser.

I think its a bit overvalued here.

I like the concepts but it will more follow this logic if anything surrounding Drouin

To Vancouver:

Drouin, Jason Garrison, 6th rd pick 2017

To Tampa

Tanev, Baertschi, 2nd rd pick 2017 (CBJ's)

Tanev is not the best offensive D-man but Drouin is not the best defensive forward, Tanev is a analytics junkies Dream but Drouin can put up points and would immediately be the best LW talent we have (not saying D. Sedin isnt a talented LWer but Drouin is a dynamic player on his own)

Archived