The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

Would luv to take a Dallas Goalie contract and trade them Tanev or edler for the 3rd overall.

Doubt its enough...but could be the basis of a deal.

Walking away from draft with PPD Heiskanin and Top C (Vilardi or Glass) would be positive step in the rebuild.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Really, there should be a new sub-forum called - CONJECTURE! 

Or is that COVFEFE?

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

Every year, every GM says they would be open to moving up or down in the draft or listening to offers. We all know how that turns out. Nothing to see here. B) 

My thoughts exactly.  

Of course if there's a deal that benefits the team... whether it's moving up or down in the draft... you make it.  Nothing to see here.

This would so much easier if free agency was before the draft, then Miller's choice of where he wants to go would be decided. If he did go to one of the Cali teams then taking one of the Dallas goalies wouldn't be an issue (as far as filling positions on the roster). 

I would be okay with:

Dallas - Dallas 1st (3rd OA),  Anaheim 1st (29th OA) or maybe Dallas 2nd (39th OA) as wiggle room space, Lehtonen ($5.9 million caphit)

for

Vancouver - d-man (Tanev?), Vancouver 2nd (33rd OA) and/or CBJ 2nd (55th OA) as wiggle room, possibly another piece

The Canucks take one (or two) of Mittlestadt, Vilardi, Rasmussen or Glass. They could possibly take Heiskanen (if he's available at 5th OA but I think I would go center here). Vancouver lets Markstrom be the goalie of now with Lehtonen as back-up. The defense will suffer horribly, which should make the tanker crowd happy. 

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why would they move up to draft a LHD? I don't get it. Heiskanen is a good skater etc., but so what? We have Juolevi and a lot of LHDs. The only way I see this as a good decision is if VAN trades Heiskanen for Landeskog or Duchene. But that's a risk too, what if COL doesn't want to make a trade?  Someone please explain to me why drafting Heiskanen over Vilardi at #3 is a good idea.

Take a deep breath.

Just now, IBatch said:

And let Miller walk...

Um, yeah? Miller was good for us and while Benning wants to sign him, who knows if he wants to stay or test free agency? Eat the bad contract of a terrible goalie for a year that we're not expected to go anywhere and use it to get a higher draft pick? Yes, please.

3 hours ago, nickels said:

Would luv to take a Dallas Goalie contract and trade them Tanev or edler for the 3rd overall.

Doubt its enough...but could be the basis of a deal.

Walking away from draft with PPD Heiskanin and Top C (Vilardi or Glass) would be positive step in the rebuild.

After listening to the interview with LeBrun,it all sounded a bit more 'iffy' than the way it came across on the tweet...We will most likely pick at 5..business as usual.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What bad contract are they talking about? Jason Spezza? He's making $7.5 a year for the next two seasons. Yikes. Or would it be one of their goalies seeing as they got Bishop? I guess with Benn going to make almost $10 million a season starting this year, they'll need to clear cap space.

Dallas needs a team like Vancouver to make their goaltending cap nightmare go away next year.  Paying 15 plus million for three goalies is ridiculous.  I hope Benning understands he's bargaining from a position of strength.

4 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Here is what I would like to see ideally, 

1) Edler + CBJ 2nd for 3OA + Niemis Contract

2) Tanev to Toronto for their 17th OA pick or wherever they fall in that area (sorry it isn't exact)

3) Trade that 17th pick plus our 2nd rd pick to move up to the top 12?

4) Draft 3OA. 5 OA, and most likely between 7-12.  Rebuild is 70% done lol. Draft again in the top 10 next year regardless

Not sure about your valuations - but I like where you are heading.  We need high end picks, and we need to give up whatever is required to get them.

1) I guess this depends on how badly they want to lose the contract.  They'd want to lose it quite a bit to accept.

2) Again, this one depends on how much they'd value Tanev.  If Lamoriello is a deep stat kind of guy, he may view this as very good value.  (And it is).  If he isn't a stat guy then he isn't going to see enough value in Tanev for that to happen.

3) Seems plausible.

4) I think the draft is offering a lot of solid players this year.  And getting 3 likely solid players (and likely one or two excellent players) hitting their prime at the same time sure does sound like a recipe for success.  We will absolutely have to use a pick for another defenseman, and we'd have to get someone into the hole(s) that is produced by losing two of our best defensemen.  Especially with Sbisa likely to be the guy that the Knights take.

I will also add that I'd love to move a spot up to #2 if possible as well.  Take the 3OA and add our other 2nd for the 2nd OA.  

Then take Granlund along with the 64th pick and Cassels and get a pick around the 20th position, and get another dman like maybe Hague.

Then our team looks like this in 2-3 years:
Mittelstadt Patrick/Hischier  Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Goldobin
Eriksson Sutter Virtanen

Dahlen Gaunce Gaudette

Lockwood

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Foote Brisebois

Hague Subban
(I am not paying attention to exact pairings)

Demko

Markstom

Honestly guys - if our players and these picks turn out even close to as expected, this is a VERY solid team with a lot of talent from top to bottom through the lineups.  No likely millennial players/superstars, but that just isn't in the cards for us it seems.....

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Dallas needs a team like Vancouver to make their goaltending cap nightmare go away next year.  Paying 15 plus million for three goalies is ridiculous.  I hope Benning understands he's bargaining from a position of strength.

Considering his last trades have been Shinkaruk for Granlund, McCann for Gudbranson, a 2nd round pick for Baertschi, Hansen for Goldobin + a 4th round pick and Burrows for Dahlen I think we can trust he knows what he's doing.

5 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Here is what I would like to see ideally, 

1) Edler + CBJ 2nd for 3OA + Niemis Contract

2) Tanev to Toronto for their 17th OA pick or wherever they fall in that area (sorry it isn't exact)

3) Trade that 17th pick plus our 2nd rd pick to move up to the top 12?

4) Draft 3OA. 5 OA, and most likely between 7-12.  Rebuild is 70% done lol. Draft again in the top 10 next year regardless

btw #2 if 17oa and kapenen coming back. This trade doesn't have to happen by the draft, can happen by the trade deadline but needs to be around that area. yes that does affect my #3 and 4

trade #5) trade niemi or whichever goalie we get at the trade deadline for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018.

**by the end get a 1C, a potential top 2 offensive defenceman in this years draft

To Dallas

Tanev

To Vancouver

3rd overall pick

Lehtonen

Niemi

Vancouver buys out Niemi and has a small cap penalty of $1.5M for the next two years. Lehtonen becomes backup to Markstrom, allowing Demko to further his development over in Utica for another season. The Canucks can draft two cornerstone pieces -- a first line playmaking centre and a top pairing offensive defenseman -- to "speed up" the rebuild.

Dallas gets a stud shutdown defenseman to take matchups away from Klingberg and sheds $10M in cap for backup goaltenders for this season. Tanev has familiarity playing with Hamhuis, and together they will form the top shutdown pair for the Stars.

Archived