The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

7 hours ago, stawns said:

but, if he can walk into the draft with the #3 and the #5 then that's a whole other ball of wax

Basically if JB walks into the draft with #3 and walks away from the draft with both the #3 and #5, you would see him walking out with a grin while still thinking about it..

9872373.jpg

And ends up smiling while explaining how it all went down and how excited he was able to walk away with a playmaking center and a PP QB defenceman..

jim_benning.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=6

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So wait

Canucks would be willing to eat a bad contract and or trade to get the pick, or possibly trade/take a bad contract to move up

I was just told none of those scenarios are possible.

Who am I to believe?  CDC or Pierre LeBrun!

I am so confused right now.

Yes! I hope this is true. This is what a rebuilding team should do. Hopefully they try to trade Tanev and/or Edler and let Miller walk.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

No to 'cap dumps', but we sign Errikson to 6x6? B)

Who cares??? It only matters to Aquilini. He's just 1 of 23 guys. I'm guessing he'll be one of our better guys as well this year.

B)

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Same thing gets said every year, but nothing happens in the end.

Lebrun is not much of an insider anymore. He's almost in Dreger territory......he was spewing rumours a couple years ago the Nucks were seriously considering re-signing Vrbata. to a contract extension....

13 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

not with Dallas....   if you move up it has to be to #1 or #2 this draft....  

or... you move up to #3 but it has to be cheap, as the player you get at #3 will almost have the same shot at making an impact as the player at #5....   total crap shoot.  Only #1 or #2 offer a substantial upgrade... 

that said, if we aquire #3 and keep #5, that would be worth it... but "moving up" suggests parting with #5 on the way

IMHO!

IMO if JB swaps 3rd for 5th and takes on a contract then he is really high on Vlardi. Possibly Mittlestad, but he has a good chance of still being on the board at 5th. 

I would rather hang onto the fifth and add a pick than swap. 

Like others have said, Tanev for the third and one of their horrible goalie contracts. We could ad a second?  Draft Vlardi/Mittlestad and Liljegren. Sign me up. 

7 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Moving up from 5 to 3 makes no sense. If they acquire the 3rd pick thats a different story.

Agree partially...Depends on the price.

If JB has identified the player he wants, and is concerned about his availability at 5, he may make sure he gets, who he wants. But otherwise could he acquire the 3rd pick on top of the fifth, the rebuild would speed up.

Yes please to 2 top 10 picks, extra yes please to 2 top 5 picks.

Weak draft be damned, we could use both a strong center prospect, and a strong defensive prospect, and if this is our year to make that move then let's do it.

Thank you for your service to one of, or both of, Edler and/or Tanev as the rebuild [hopefully] puts a strong foot forward.

Dallas has to get rid of one of those tendy contracts and LV will not take either of them. In a sense Dallas is the desperate team here as they have to shed cap space. I could see us taking Leht's contract and the 3rd for the CBJ pick and a younger dman (Subban or Pedan) as no other team will be willing to trade for their tendys nor can Dallas afford to buy one out. Guys like Miller, Bernier and Raanta have more value at a lower or similar cost. Darling is projected to be a legit starter and look what CAR gave up to get him. No way Dallas gets much more than a used jock given their track records in net. I would think GMJB has that in mind.   

8 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

To Dallas

Tanev

To Vancouver

3rd overall pick

Lehtonen

Niemi

Vancouver buys out Niemi and has a small cap penalty of $1.5M for the next two years. Lehtonen becomes backup to Markstrom, allowing Demko to further his development over in Utica for another season. The Canucks can draft two cornerstone pieces -- a first line playmaking centre and a top pairing offensive defenseman -- to "speed up" the rebuild.

Dallas gets a stud shutdown defenseman to take matchups away from Klingberg and sheds $10M in cap for backup goaltenders for this season. Tanev has familiarity playing with Hamhuis, and together they will form the top shutdown pair for the Stars.

I think we will all be surprised at some of the deals coming down. WOuld love your deal. Dallas does have a window that is slowly closing so I expect they will deal with someone.  

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

IMO if JB swaps 3rd for 5th and takes on a contract then he is really high on Vlardi. Possibly Mittlestad, but he has a good chance of still being on the board at 5th. 

I would rather hang onto the fifth and add a pick than swap. 

Like others have said, Tanev for the third and one of their horrible goalie contracts. We could ad a second?  Draft Vlardi/Mittlestad and Liljegren. Sign me up. 

ya... if we can get 2 potential top prospects, I'm all for it.  no guarantee these players would make it - they are equal to mid first round picks in a strong draft year.  gotta think about it that way.  But awesome to have another pick.

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

Weak draft be damned, we could use both a strong center prospect, and a strong defensive prospect, and if this is our year to make that move then let's do it.

I really don't see it as a weak draft.  There are no obviously super elite players which makes it seem that way, but otherwise I think the talent is right on par with the norm.  In fact, I think that if you look at the top 10 rankings there might be more NHL players in that list than normal.

10 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Considering his last trades have been Shinkaruk for Granlund, McCann for Gudbranson, a 2nd round pick for Baertschi, Hansen for Goldobin + a 4th round pick and Burrows for Dahlen I think we can trust he knows what he's doing.

Good one.  Let's see what, if anything unfolds.  Not all his trades/moves have been favourable, which is understandable I'm just nervous we don't do anything stupid will our early first rounder(s),  so far that part of his track record needs improvement if we are ever going to to climb out of the muck....where theres smoke...so maybe something is in the works, Vancouver is one of a handful of teams that can bail them out (of course Vegas can too, which would weaken our ability to pry 3rd out of them) of their goalie condundrum.

Archived