The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thanks, Jonathan Toews

I believe in climate change, do I believe this is all due to human kind? No.

The history of the earth's climate is cycular. The planet has gone through 5 ice ages, tropical stages (time of dinosaurs) where there was no polar ice, but rather forests in Antarctica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/02/ecoalert-earth-was-stifling-hot-during-peak-age-of-dinosaurs-1.html

http://www.actforlibraries.org/what-was-the-climate-like-when-the-dinosaurs-lived/

The earths atmosphere at that time had almost three times the carbon dioxide content we have today. Even with our over consumption of fossil fuels in the past and perhaps the ongoing future, it would take centuries to reach that of the Jurassic and Cretaceous period (65-100 million years ago).

I believe we need to take care of our environment now though to ensure the viability of future generations.

Solar, wind and hrydro power are all clean energy sources and are becoming more prevalent. Politicians, environmentalists, athletes, actors etc can say all they want, but until the worlds economy is not controlled by the trade and price of oil nothing will will truly change.

I think sometimes Climate Change or Global Warming doesn't get the respect it deserves because people get so used to looking at individual facts.  You can pick apart and over-scrutinize individual facts.  You can examine them, come up with a cherry picked counter example or two to try delegitimize them.  Really, the climate and environment are huge multilayered entities that can't be described adequately by a single chart or number.  When you go for a physical you don't just check your temperature.  You wouldn't base the health of the stock market on Amazon's stock value.  You need to look at a number of trends and there are enough trends out there heading in the wrong direction that we should not only be worried but be doing everything in our power to correct these trends.

Trump's had a great first 6 months as president. Got the pipeline, stocks at an all time high, new healthcare, now removing the US from a deal based on false information. Man made climate change is simply not true, and the scientists making millions off of something not proven should be ashamed of themselves.

7 minutes ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Trump's had a great first 6 months as president. Got the pipeline, stocks at an all time high, new healthcare, now removing the US from a deal based on false information. Man made climate change is simply not true, and the scientists making millions off of something not proven should be ashamed of themselves.

:lol: "scientists making millions"? someone better let them know... do you have any idea how long it takes someone with a PhD to begin making a decent wage?

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Even if we weren't responsible for any major climate catastrophes heading our way, shouldn't we still do our part to preserve what we have left?"

Loaded with presuppositions, based on fear and conjecture.  He needs to do his own research and stop listening to self-serving politicians and their puppet media.

But what if its you thats wrong? If "the scientists" are correct reducing carbon emissions at best will help to keep sea level from rising as fast as they are and have less extreme weather events and places like Vancouver won't have to rush to figure out how not to be flooded out of existence. At worst, we won't have major cities choking to death in smog clouds.

But if you are wrong..... 

You can't argue that the Earth's climate is cyclical.  Human caused changes aren't taking this planet anywhere this planet hasn't been before.  We are however, disrupting these natural cycles and causing changes to occur FASTER than natural/normal.  When this happens this fast, species (animal and plant) don't have the time to adapt. 

It can see how some may not be alarmed by the changes because a lot don't think of it on a geologic time scale.  They see reports about New Orleans being "15 feet under water" and laugh because that may be the case but not for another 1000 years, not 10 years from now.  On a generational time scale, however, New Orleans could be uninhabitable to humans due to constant flooding.  Daily sea level matters less if the area is getting hit by a Katrina level hurricane every 25 years.  If that's the case, people will be long gone from New Orleans because it's 15 feet under water.

I think athletes should keep their opinions to themselves until they're retired. I don't understand why people care about what athletes think about topics they aren't specialized in or even knowledgeable about. Like Dr. Mark Recchi diagnosing concussions.

1 hour ago, on the cycle said:

I think athletes should keep their opinions to themselves until they're retired. I don't understand why people care about what athletes think about topics they aren't specialized in or even knowledgeable about. Like Dr. Mark Recchi diagnosing concussions.

Just because he is an athlete, doesn't mean he can't talk about climate change. Why does someone have to be qualified to speak about a certain subject?

17 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Just because he is an athlete, doesn't mean he can't talk about climate change. Why does someone have to be qualified to speak about a certain subject?

To avoid making their affiliated organization look bad and hurting their own brand. I also said "knowledgeable" and yes I think if you want to talk about a subject (especially as a high profile person) you should know what you're talking about so you don't spread misinformation.

Like Dr. Mark Recchi telling people how to deal with concussions, he has no clue what he's talking about.

The problem today is people actually think their opinions are important and that everyone wants to here them. I watch Hockey to see players play, not talk. That's why I don't watch player interviews most of the time because they're the same boring comments.

1 hour ago, on the cycle said:

Too bad Trump didn't leave his opinion to himself about something that he doesn't have any specialized knowledge in until he retired....

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Too bad Trump didn't leave his opinion to himself about something that he doesn't have any specialized knowledge in until he retired....

Agreed. The 2016 Election was like south parks Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich election.

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I can't stand this type of pseudo-intellectual, "I've watched Youtube videos!" BS.

Just reading your post is like listening to a smarmy first year university student who thinks that if he uses colorful language, it will prove he is smart.

#1 - There is not a single presupposition in that sentence that you could find fault with. In fact, the sentence in question purposefully avoids making an assumption about whether climate change is man-made.

#2 - There was no conjecture in that statement. Conjecture involves making an assertion based on incomplete data. You have no evidence that Toews is missing an important piece of data. He is simply calling for conservation, he is not actually saying much at all.

#3 - You're the only one assuming that he did not do his own research. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Neither you nor I know, but you're the only one pretending that you do.

#4 - You're the one assuming that he was listening to politicians and the media. See comment above.

#5 - In your next post you talk about how all people do is throw out pejoratives... you haven't made a single actual argument other than just saying that other people are wrong. Just because you said someone was wrong in a 'fancy' way, doesn't mean that you've done anything more meaningful.

#6 - postmodernism is dead. It died a long time ago. You've just watched some youtube videos of Jordan Pederson or someone like that. Climate scientists are actual scientists. The ones that gather data. That is the opposite definition of postmodernism.

#7 - Jesus christ.

4 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Are you retired? Just wondering......

4 hours ago, Qwags said:

They don't, that's why it should be taken as a subjective opinion, not fact.

43 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& facts/opinions will become irrelevant, IF NTHE is truly in the cards.

What does the 'National Talent Hunt Exam' have to with this?

in all seriousness, are you a doomsayer? I don't think human extinction is anywhere in the near future, but if it occurs one day, it likely will be human cause.

4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

What does the 'National Talent Hunt Exam' have to with this?

in all seriousness, are you a doomsayer? I don't think human extinction is anywhere in the near future, but if it occurs one day, it likely will be human cause.

In all honesty, don't feel this is the site to express my opinions on ACD(Abrupt Climate Disruption), as coined by Dahr Jamail(Truth Out). Will simply say, I don't feel govt's & MSM are giving the straight goods, or are as overly-concerned(as they claim/portray) about the fate of us unwashed masses.

When cash & bullying-power become the 'religion du jour', you need a lot of disinfo & distraction to frame said ugly picture.

"Think for yourself" becomes a mantra of increasing importance with every passing day.

On Toews, I'm impressed that he'll speak up on such a divisive issue. Must've known there'll be angst, howling & blather to follow. How does Buttman's office feel on this?  An a**hole-org that insists on planting frozen ice in TWO F***ing DESERTS! To me, it's stating the obvious..but then as the bullsh*t politicians like to utter: "I don't know..I'm NOT a scientist!"

Archived