The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SD Padres MLB Thread

atillaMYhun

Hey Canucks fans, want a new MLB team to cheer for?  Take a look at the San Diego Padres.

I've been a Canucks fan since the early days and a Padres fan since the 1990s.  I know, no cups or world series, ever.

I know most Canucks fans are Mariners or Jays fans but for those looking for a new, up and coming team to cheer for take a look at the Padres.  They have alot of really good young talent and although got off to a horrible start this season, have really picked things up lately as the young guys seem to be coming into their own.  It's always a good time cheering for a team as it turns the corner and becomes good and that's whats about to happen.  It's time to jump on the bus, because in the  next year or two when the young pitchers come along this is going to be a really good team.

Yankee fan here. I can respect a fan for sticking with a team through thick and thin. I like some of the pieces that the Padres have in place and coming up (Wil Myers, Franchy Cordero, and Cal Quantrill to name a few). You guys will be in tough in the AL West, the Dodgers are going to be good for a while and the Giants are one of the best-run organizations in baseball IMO.

Hey Reggie,  you're right about the NL west, down year for the Giants and still the Rockies and Diamondbacks and the Dodgers might all make the playoffs.  Padres aren't going anywhere until their young starting pitching arrives but the additions this year of Austin Hedges, Hunter Renfroe and Manny Margot (although now injured) and the hitting and defense looks like it could get good, pretty soon.

Back in high school in Vancouver I used to be a Red Sox fan,  so can't say I like the Yankees (understatement -   no offense).  I liked Clemens and Boggs and Jim Rice but then I moved to San Diego and became attached to the local team, even though they're pretty much always terrible.  Makes for fun times during those years when they actually are pretty good.  (like 1998 vs the Yankees).  It's kind of like being a Canuck fan I guess.

42 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

5th win in a row tonight, came back from 3 down...the kind of win this team hasn't been getting the past few years

The Padres are a team I can swallow cheering for. Fans deserve respect for supporting the team still. Schimpf, Myers, Hedges have been reliable hitters for them which have helped the team a great deal. Promising pitching for sure. Good times ahead for the Padres!

blowout loss today.

Chatwood pitched well.

An error on a pop up and 2 bad pitches down the middle on 0-2 counts and it's 4-1

Then a couple of relievers who probably won't be in the majors long and it's a blowout

Oh well, onto Sunday and trying to win the series.

The Rockies are a good team this year, I wouldn't be suprised if they won the NL West

22 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

Ugly tonight.  Lamet had looked good but not tonight and the game was over by the 2nd inning.  Ouch.

Bright side 2 home runs by Hunter Renfroe

Picked up Lamet in my pool and dressed him in daily today. It's my fault he didn't have it 

2 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

Picked up Lamet in my pool and dressed him in daily today. It's my fault he didn't have it 

that sucks, maybe the bad timing thing runs through all us Canuck fans.  Hopefully, it's just growing pains and not a sign for his future and he can bounce back next time (although you prob won't take him that day)

6 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

that sucks, maybe the bad timing thing runs through all us Canuck fans.  Hopefully, it's just growing pains and not a sign for his future and he can bounce back next time (although you prob won't take him that day)

Ya he's got good stuff. Podcast I listen to were really praising him. 

15 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

Is that an MLB podcast or fantasy?  His first 2 starts were great although he didn't go too deep into the games, was hoping for his 3rd start would be where he goes 7 or 8 innings, but man it was just not happening for him tonight

It's for daily fantasy. 

And yes I did have Scooter in my lineup today. Only problem was I also had Lamet

I can respect the Padres however I am a Giants fan since playing Tony LaRussa baseball on PC back in 1994.  Sucks they're abysmal this year(or maybe they're just tanking?!?) but 3 world series titles in the last 10 years I can't complain about that.  Sucks Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum lost their magic, but I guess SP are like RB's in the NFL, some just don't have the shelf life.  Buster Posey still looks like he is 15.

Good on you for cheering for a respectable franchise! Too many people now a days bandwagon elite franchises when they live far away from them. LA Dodgers, SF Giants and NY Yankees come to mind. It's easy to bandwagon one of those franchises.

Padres are pretty much a laughing stock for Dodger and Giants fans, almost too pathetic to hate on, like they hate on each other.   I think they just like having them in the league so they can come to Petco Park and cheer for their teams.  Sometimes home games here look like home games for the road team, especially LA, SF, Cubs or Mets.

I started this thread though because after a years of building the wrong way (especially the free agent frenzy of a couple of years ago) the Padres are now building a team the right way.  They are going to get better over the next few years.  Hopefully this time with new owners they won't be selling their stars when $$ needs to be paid, but that's a few years off yet.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I can respect the Padres however I am a Giants fan since playing Tony LaRussa baseball on PC back in 1994.  Sucks they're abysmal this year(or maybe they're just tanking?!?) but 3 world series titles in the last 10 years I can't complain about that.  Sucks Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum lost their magic, but I guess SP are like RB's in the NFL, some just don't have the shelf life.  Buster Posey still looks like he is 15.

And to think the Padres got rid of Bochy!  (and Bud Black for that matter)

Giants have been great last 10 years, Posey is such a clutch player.  Tired of watching them (and the Dodgers) beat up the Pads

Used to go to alot of Giants games back when Bonds was on the team.  I don't care about the steroid thing, I've never seen a more dominant hitter than Bonds (well maybe Tony Gwynn..j/k..but he was great, a legend in SD)

• 2 months later...

Haven't posted in awhile, but been watching. Was at the doubleheader Saturday and the game yesterday.  Great 3 wins over the Dodgers.  Made even sweeter by the fact that more than 1/2 the crowd was cheering for the Dodgers.  

I know the season is going nowhere and some people are disappointed b/c the team is playing well and not tanking but it sure is fun to see a young team coming together and players taking huge strides on a weekly basis.  After a 15-30 start, the team is over .500 since then.  The future is bright.

Time to get on the bus

By Bill Center / San Diego Padres | 11:56 AM ET 
+

Clayton Richard sees the direction the Padres are headed. So does Wil Myers. AndJhoulys Chacin.

"The culture is shifting," Richard said Sunday after the Padres scored a third straight win over the Los Angeles Dodgers at Petco Park.

"We're still young," the veteran left-hander continued. "But we're starting to establish a willingness to compete every day. Where we want to be has to start with that belief as well as good young players. You have to believe you can win every night against anyone. That tone is being set."

"Everyone thought we'd just be playing it out this year because we were so young," said Chacin after his brilliant seven-inning outing Sunday, which resulted in the third straight win over the Dodgers.

"We couldn't change that we were young and inexperienced. We play hard. And we're playing for moving it forward. We won that series in St. Louis. We beat the Dodgers here. It's not something that just happened. There's a building feeling."

And Myers feels it, too.

"I think it could become something special," said the first baseman. "We've played really well. I like what we are doing and where we're headed. We are kind of developing as a group. I hate to think where we might be if I had hit better."

The Padres are not a championship-caliber team yet by any description. But they are moving forward. Since starting the season losing 30 of their first 45 games, the Padres have gone 47-45. And more recently, they have held their own during the toughest part of the schedule.

Take the game the Padres lost in the Dodgers series as an example. The Dodgers won 1-0 with Clayton Kershaw pitching a gem. But rookie Dinelson Lamet matched him.

"The difference was one pitch against Kershaw," said Chacin. "One-nothing, that's competing. That game showed me something. This weekend showed me something. And there are a lot of young players in the system."

Not every prospect is going to reach a Major League lineup. But the Padres have a bundle. Most of the Padres top prospects spent the 2017 season playing in leagues advanced for their age. Class A Fort Wayne opened the season with five of the 10 youngest players in the Midwest League and made the playoffs.

Eighteen-year-old Fernando Tatis Jr. is finishing the season at Double-A San Antonio, where postseason Texas League All-Star Luis Urías opened the season as the youngest player in the league.

There are no promises in baseball. But fans have a right to be excited about the Padres' future.

The Padres are not there. So much needs to be done, the results might not be seen for another two to three seasons. But I think they are turning the corner. The game that gave me the most hope over the weekend was actually Friday night, the only game they lost.

The Padres and Dinelson Lamet battled the powerful Dodgers down to a single pitch. Andy Green saw the same thing.

"You lose a game short term, but for the long term, I think it was exciting," said Green. "To see someone square off against Clayton Kershaw and for the most part match him, you can't ask for anything more from Lamet."

Okay, so the weekend was one small step. But it was a step in the right direction. And a step the Padres needed to make.

Noteworthy

• Chacin entered Sunday's game against the Dodgers with the lowest home ERA in the National League at 1.85. Chacin allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits and no walks with eight strikeouts Sunday to end a three-decision losing streak. Although Chacin's overall ERA dropped to a season-low 3.96, his home ERA jumped slightly to 1.91. Chacin is 8-3 at home and 12-10 overall this season.

• SS Erick Aybar was 4-for-8 in the final two games of the Dodgers series with Sunday's two-run homer, a double and three runs scored. Aybar came off the disabled list after missing 28 games with a fracture in his left foot suffered July 21. The Padres had believed Aybar was lost for the rest of the season when he passed a physical last week and returned to the Padres after a two-game rehab assignment in Arizona.

• Is Myers finally showing signs of breaking out of his prolonged slump? Myers was 3-for-4 Sunday with two RBIs. He was 5-for-11 with a double, a triple, three RBIs and two runs scored in the series, and he is 10-for-30 in his eight games after going hitless in 20 straight at-bats. Sunday was his 29th multihit game of the season and his fourth game with three or more hits.

• LF Jose Pirela was 3-for-9 against the Dodgers this series with a home run, three RBIs, three walks and three runs scored.

• LHP Brad Hand gave up ninth-inning homers both Saturday and Sunday to the Dodgers. Saturday's two-run shot by Justin Turner tied the score and nailed Hand with a blown save, although he picked up the win on Yangervis Solarte's walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth. Hand got his 15th save Sunday despite Cody Bellinger's homer.

Archived