The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Draft Proposal

Like many, I believe that JB should be doing everything he can for the 3rd overall pick from Dallas. Canucks are in a position where they need both quality and quantity. Yes, they have some decent prospects but compared to the rest of the league we're probably around 12-18 mark when considering our pool of prospects.

I dont neccesarily think this will happen but would be the most ideal sitaution for our team.

Dallas 

Edler

2nd round pick (33 OA)

Prospect (Cassels) 

To Vancouver

3rd OA (Patrick, Vilardi)

Lehtonen 

To Arizona

5th OA

Columbus 2nd round pick (54th?)

Subban

To Van

7th OA (Liljegren, Glass, Makar) 

23rd OA (Yammamoto, Comtois, Henry) 

To Tampa Bay 

Tanev 

To Vancouver 

Howden

14th OA (Vesalainen, Foote)

Canucks in:  3rd, 7th, 14th, 23rd, Howden, Lehtonen

Canucks out : Edler, Tanev, 5th OA, 33rd OA, 54th OA, Subban, Cassels

Free Agency

Kulikov

Values close enough? Arizona trade only happens if they are very high on a player they think will not be around at 7th such as Glass/Middlestadt/Makar. Tampa may want us to take on a bad conract as well for it work with them. Dallas needs help on the Left and Edler played very well with Kling. Who knows they might want Tanev. I realize alot has to go right for this to happen. 

Try to leave the attitude at home as im really hoping for an in depth discussion. Its a long two weeks before the draft, need some intellectual, valuable input here. 

no we lose 2 top four dmen  and a 5th overall for 3 high first rounders no thanks id rather just draft at 5  maybe trade tanev for a 7-9th overall   no trading all our vets and all our secondary assets  i like that we have a extra 2nd and 4th rounder in this draft  benning will steal players that drop 

19 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

no we lose 2 top four dmen  and a 5th overall for 3 high first rounders no thanks id rather just draft at 5  maybe trade tanev for a 7-9th overall   no trading all our vets and all our secondary assets  i like that we have a extra 2nd and 4th rounder in this draft  benning will steal players that drop 

Yes Benning could steal players in later rounds but wouldnt it be nice to have additional first rounders? 2nds are nice but 1st's are much more valuable. 

If we want 3OA, were going to have to lose a top 4d and a pick, have to give to get. Technically were not losing 5th OA but trading down for an additional pick since we'll draft the centre we need at 3rd. We only move down 2 spots but get an additional first rounder. 

We could keep Tanev but since were in rebuild, we should be trading him for future assets. I dont think his value will be higher than it is now unless he plays a full season and puts up 30-40 points (not likely). Howden is a great prospect and we get 14th as well. We could trade Tanev to Buffalo for their 8th instead if youd like. 

What make #3 so good? 3 to 28 are all mixed up as being close to the same.

Now #1 or 2, okay maybe, but #3? Really?

The way players are scrutinized now there are very few surprises especially in the first round and a half, the later rounds can sometimes get a surprise, the Canuck's European scouts are very good at finding defence men.

Benning shouldn't panic, this next couple of years should be looking for the Sedin replacements, they don't have anyone close right now.

It doesn't have to be the 3OA, just need a second pick in the top 8 I think. In all honesty, Vilardi could fall to us at #5 (chances are slim) due to the fact Colorado and Dallas need D. The Arizona proposal I feel we overpay.

Assume we get the 3oa and keep the 5th. Take Vilardi at #3 and with #5 you get either Heiskanen or Makar. Unless you want Glass as your C. I'm not sold on Mittelstadt.

People keep saying this draft isn't good, IT IS. There is no matthews, mcdavid, or elite player in this draft. But these kids can still become 30G players, or top 2 defenceman that are ranked to go in the top 10 I feel.

20 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

People keep saying this draft isn't good, IT IS. There is no matthews, mcdavid, or elite player in this draft. But these kids can still become 30G players, or top 2 defenceman that are ranked to go in the top 10 I feel.

It isn't just "people", it is the hockey scouts and many GM's, those that are supposed to be experts. This draft is even being talked about like the Sedin draft year, after the top two there is nothing really differentiating the rest, there are no marked differences between 3 and 25. Of course the media/NHL is really pumping up the tires on this draft.

NHL pundits understand that drafting in the NHL is not like drafting in the NFL where even a 22 pick is a star type player. There are just too many games NHL prospects play to miss out on exceptional talents, the shear number of games weed out most one hit wonders or at least the stats definitely show consistency. That is why Patrick is still considered elite this year even though he played less than half a season, no one jumped out except Nico. Virtanen was a one hit wonder by the stats, he should never have been drafted as high, he can still make the show though but not where the Nucks need the help most.

There is a very good chance for dmen as they do develop much slower, just look at past Norris trophy winners, most are 2nd round guys.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:47 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

It isn't just "people", it is the hockey scouts and many GM's, those that are supposed to be experts. This draft is even being talked about like the Sedin draft year, after the top two there is nothing really differentiating the rest, there are no marked differences between 3 and 25. Of course the media/NHL is really pumping up the tires on this draft.

NHL pundits understand that drafting in the NHL is not like drafting in the NFL where even a 22 pick is a star type player. There are just too many games NHL prospects play to miss out on exceptional talents, the shear number of games weed out most one hit wonders or at least the stats definitely show consistency. That is why Patrick is still considered elite this year even though he played less than half a season, no one jumped out except Nico. Virtanen was a one hit wonder by the stats, he should never have been drafted as high, he can still make the show though but not where the Nucks need the help most.

There is a very good chance for dmen as they do develop much slower, just look at past Norris trophy winners, most are 2nd round guys.

OMG, that was a baddy.  Taylor Pyatt looks like a top 5 player.  Really, the only players that stand out in the draft is the Sedins a couple of dmen, 5th rounder Ryan Miller and 7th rounder Zetterburg.  It's stunning how few NHL players were in that draft (only 23 players had more than 500gp).

This draft certainly can't compete with the Sedins or Zetterburg in the top 3, but the later picks are looking much better than the 1999 draft. (I think the training and equipment upgrades/technology is supporting a generation of better players).

Archived