The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12,000,000?!..Beauty, eh?

Nuxfanabroad

Been wondering lately if 9,000,000 in open cap is perhaps more valuable to a team, than a 9 million $ superstar?

Prob a timing thing. But figure a lot of us underestimate the value of big-time cap-manoeuvrability. Don't think we've been through that yet, since the cap-era was instituted.

Not only how to spend..but when? Think this takes some discipline, & is a bit of an art-form for aspiring GM's. Poile is likely today's prime example.

20 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

If the team goes after UFA's they should probably target the "character" guys, guys 26 to 30 that have been pigeon holed as 3rd/4th liners, guys with NHL experience. I remember when Battleship Kelly changed team and became a scoring machine for a season, the same with Tiger Williams.

At the least they should have size, the determination will come from being given a chance to do other than the grunt work.

I'm guessing you are on board for option #2 then?  That is the one I also like best.  Bringing in a few value free agents that might bring us back some mid round picks at the deadline.  Lets us keep some the youth in Utica to season a little longer and helps stockpile draft picks.  Win, win.

16 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Then don't count on getting any valued UFA's to flip at deadline.  Any UFA we sign on a 1-2 year deal to flip will probably only fetch a 3rd round pick or something in that region. Maybe a B prospect.  

But that is fine isn't it?  Its still getting something from nothing. 

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Been wondering lately if 9,000,000 in open cap is perhaps more valuable to a team, than a 9 million $ superstar?

Prob a timing thing. But figure a lot of us underestimate the value of big-time cap-manoeuvrability. Don't think we've been through that yet, since the cap-era was instituted.

Not only how to spend..but when? Think this takes some discipline, & is a bit of an art-form for aspiring GM's. Poile is likely today's prime example.

I agree that having some cap space at the deadline would be super valuable.  At that point the teams that want to add players are most likely at the cap ceiling. They are more desperate to dump a bad contract so they can make room for a roster addition or two for the playoffs.  I think it would benefit us to have some cap flexibility at the deadline. 

17 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

And how many of those guys could be flipped at deadline for anything of value?

For example, Vanek got flipped at deadline forDylan McIlrath  and a 3rd round pick.  I mean it's better than nothing but it's not exactly a whole lot.  The rest of them would hardly get a draft pick under the 5th round.

I think you are maybe looking to get too much .

Purcell got a 3rd in 16

Vanek a 3rd in 17

Winnik a couple of 2nds in 15 and 16

You are correct we are not going to be signing guys and trading them for high firsts, and realistically we won't make more than 2 deals per year anyway. But a couple of extra 3rds would help out rather than signing Loui for 6x6 or adding picks ala Beartschi, Kassian, Sutter, Dorsett, Vey. what is needed is to turn this ship around from bleding picks to adding picks.

There is no magic bullet, just a slow reversal of trend.

Don't fight the TANK  -  EMBRACE the TANK.

See you Miller....  

Trade Edler or Tanev

Hank and Danny are moved at the TDL to anyone that will take them. 

Load up on picks  / prospects     -  then DRAFT and DEVELOP

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Don't fight the TANK  -  EMBRACE the TANK.

See you Miller....  

Trade Edler or Tanev

Hank and Danny are moved at the TDL to anyone that will take them. 

Load up on picks  / prospects     -  then DRAFT and DEVELOP

Edler, Hank and Danny all have NMC/NTC and they have all stated they want to play in VAN so there goes your plan

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Stan Bowman is the master at cap era orchestrating.  Every time they've won the cup key players earn pay bumps and have to leave the team, and he keeps finding new ones to replace them.  Eventually the Kane/Toews contracts will catch up to him, but despite their early exit no team has played as much playoff hockey under the cap.  Poile has done a tremendous job too, assembling the deepest d in the league and trading one for a star forward...

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Edler, Hank and Danny all have NMC/NTC and they have all stated they want to play in VAN so there goes your plan

If they're all on the tail end of their contract and are aware that they won't be resigned by us anyways, I see no reason why they wouldn't waive for the chance to play for a cup at the deadline.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If they're all on the tail end of their contract and are aware that they won't be resigned by us anyways, I see no reason why they wouldn't waive for the chance to play for a cup at the deadline.

Benning has said the Sedins won't be asked to waive as long as he's GM. The Sedins have said they want to retire Canucks. I somehow doubt that will change in the next year.

On 2017-6-6 at 4:12 PM, goalie13 said:

I like option 6.  Why spend it just to spend it?  If it doesn't make the team better I would rather the Canucks continue to give the young guys the ice time and build for the future.

Because ticket prices will be the same either way. 

42 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Benning has said the Sedins won't be asked to waive as long as he's GM. The Sedins have said they want to retire Canucks. I somehow doubt that will change in the next year.

Benning also said he wouldn't ask vets to waive. Now we have Goldobin and Dahlen.

And there is such a thing as 24 hour contract. 

On 2017-06-06 at 4:07 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I like option 2.

Sign a few older players to 1 yr deals.  Don't give  them any NTC or NMC rights..    

We will suck next years anyways ...  and then trade them at the the TDL to a playoff team for picks.....

Keep getting more depth in our organization....  more picks.. more development... more prospects...

We are 5 years away still from making a run in the playoffs.

I agree with option 2 have hoped the Canucks would do this for the last few years. Might have to over pay in terms of salary but well worth it, not much risk because of short term deal 

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Benning also said he wouldn't ask vets to waive. Now we have Goldobin and Dahlen.

He didn't ask either Burrows or Hansen to waive. He asked Burrows what he wanted to do. Burrows answer was he was willing to waive his NTC to help the team but only if the location worked for him and his family. He never submitted a list. Splitting hairs perhaps, but not the same as outright asking a player to waive. He may well do the same with the Sedins - ask them what they want to do. Which is not the same as asking them to waive. But we already know what the Sedins want to do as they've stated it publicly.

Hansen was asked for his list of teams per his contract and made a deal with a team on his list. Which is not asking him to waive anything. It was an obligation on Hansens part per his contract.

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think he meant the 3 or 4 "clause" contract he signed, not that any team would want those contracts anyway.

This team has quite a few young guys ti try and work into the system such as Dahlen, Goldobin, Virtanen, OJ, this years top picks etc. The Canucks need some role players who can play with a bit of sandpaper to held give these guys some confidence so other teams don't take liberties with them. GMJB has said this for the upcoming year as well so I like this approach.

I don't know how many guys like this will be free agents but there are lots of options such as bringing a bad contract or a trade that doesn't involve youth or prospects. (Sutter?) or maybe get lucky with a waiver pick although looks like Carmosa may be back next year which helps.

23 hours ago, Baggins said:

He didn't ask either Burrows or Hansen to waive. He asked Burrows what he wanted to do. Burrows answer was he was willing to waive his NTC to help the team but only if the location worked for him and his family. He never submitted a list. Splitting hairs perhaps, but not the same as outright asking a player to waive. He may well do the same with the Sedins - ask them what they want to do. Which is not the same as asking them to waive. But we already know what the Sedins want to do as they've stated it publicly.

Hansen was asked for his list of teams per his contract and made a deal with a team on his list. Which is not asking him to waive anything. It was an obligation on Hansens part per his contract.

Saved me from having to say it.

On ‎6‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, kingofsurrey said:

You mean like Loui E ?    No thanks.   Its all about draft and development for me.    Old washed up FA's  just don't seem to be the way to go with a rebuilding club.....

Louie E?  Most people/media and other hockey teams mgmt thought this brought in someone to compliment the twins and make it a lethal line but the ONLY problem is of Louie with the twins is that he NOT a big TOUGH player with that kind of skill "which hasn't been with the twins ever except for Anson Carter" The next best thing people THINK they need is another skiiled player with them but that in itself isn't enough. Those type of players don't come along often and get snatched up quickly but a young Dustin Buff with the twins would have been a sight to see. Louie was a gamble yes but at least it was better than nothing and it may pay off yet in other ways, who knows.

No, your right, old washed up's don't help but one's who come available at 28-29-30 years old do and they do come up here and there, no, not every year. They still have to suit the needs of the team as well but like the Op said it might help if the right one came along...  at least i think that's what he meant...

I am of the mind that if you are going to put an "NHL PRODUCT" on the market, then you must spend up to the Cap or close to it. If not, then you are cheating the fans out that are paying for that. If you "Tankers" would like a team full of "Prospects" then go watch the minor league team.

I am not saying going out and filling the team full of "has beens" but a balance of young up and comers(Bo) and some established(Tanev).

Since the Cap era was introduced there appears to be a "closer competition" between the first place team and the last place team and things like injuries and individual slumps become much more relevant.

I like the way the team is going right now in that they are constantly trying to make the team stronger in whatever way they can whether it is by trade, draft, UFA or whatever.

There is no sure fire way to succeed so this approach seems to make the most sense.

Archived