The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12,000,000?!..Beauty, eh?

Nuxfanabroad

Unless we land a top prospect, accompanying an albatross-contract(eg: Sanheim/Konecny with MacDonald), I'd like to see the Canucks make it to next summer with a boat-load of space to manoeuvre with.

Retain $ on a contract next TDL(preferably expiring contract), to land another good prospect too.

This question I keep coming back to..HOW should we use oodles of space, next summer???

For the sake of idle, summer blabbing:

- We surprise the experts/lowlifes/scribes, & finish 20th OA.

- Still in wildcard race until March, 2018. Finally dropping back.

- Twins have meh season( 1 gets injured for about 2 mos). But Daniel gets 1,000

- Most of the impetus comes from our surprising youth

- Utica does well too, & makes PO's, winning a round

...So it then appears a youthful-resurgence. Do we stay patient, & keep tonnes of space, or get more aggressive(trying to build off 17~18 momentum) with trades/UFA's?

************************************************************:

Are many/any here dreaming of a quick, 2 or 3 yr-turnaround, back to contender-status?

Or rather, has everyone resigned themselves to at least a half decade of dense jungle/blunt machete?

On 6/6/2017 at 6:19 PM, ruilin96 said:

I personally prefer us to make a deal with the Stars to eat up a bad contract (Lethonen or Niemi, both with only 1 year left so no harm done for next year's cap hit) and hope to acquire another top-end prospect or a high draft pick.

Yes! Take an awful contract for a good pick or prospect is an absolutely great way to go! 

On 6/6/2017 at 4:07 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I like option 2.

Sign a few older players to 1 yr deals.  Don't give  them any NTC or NMC rights..    

We will suck next years anyways ...  and then trade them at the the TDL to a playoff team for picks.....

Keep getting more depth in our organization....  more picks.. more development... more prospects...

We are 5 years away still from making a run in the playoffs.

yes, definitely 5 years away.

However that won't stop the current management from trying to shorten the wait.  IMHO, the current plan is to:  1. get Dallas's 3rd pick somehow.  2. Draft a Center and a PP qb, and then 3. say that enough players have now been drafted, the rebuild is done, and finally 4. spend of FA to build a "culture" of winning.

If this plan means the team sells more tickets and makes the playoffs - and therefore doesn't leave Vancouver for another city - I am all for it.  Unlike in other cities - aka Toronto - when the team sucks the building in Vancouver is empty.... which means that if the team really goes through a rebuild the result would be the team leaving Vancouver for another city.  Hate to say it, but it is quite likely in fact.

So...  we get a rebuild with a small "r".  Because the fans that can actually pay enough to go to the games aren't real fans, but just like to see a winner.  The real fans have been priced out of regular live attendance for quite some time.

So anyways, prices aren't coming down, we just have a bunch of corporate stale bandwagoners in the stands anyways, and they won't support a rebuild.  So.... we can't rebuild.  Just HOPE that we do get lucky with a #1 Center and a PP QB this draft - I believe that JB and Trevor are betting their jobs on it.

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 2:45 PM, canucksnihilist said:

yes, definitely 5 years away.

However that won't stop the current management from trying to shorten the wait.  IMHO, the current plan is to:  1. get Dallas's 3rd pick somehow.  2. Draft a Center and a PP qb, and then 3. say that enough players have now been drafted, the rebuild is done, and finally 4. spend of FA to build a "culture" of winning.

If this plan means the team sells more tickets and makes the playoffs - and therefore doesn't leave Vancouver for another city - I am all for it.  Unlike in other cities - aka Toronto - when the team sucks the building in Vancouver is empty.... which means that if the team really goes through a rebuild the result would be the team leaving Vancouver for another city.  Hate to say it, but it is quite likely in fact.

So...  we get a rebuild with a small "r".  Because the fans that can actually pay enough to go to the games aren't real fans, but just like to see a winner.  The real fans have been priced out of regular live attendance for quite some time.

So anyways, prices aren't coming down, we just have a bunch of corporate stale bandwagoners in the stands anyways, and they won't support a rebuild.  So.... we can't rebuild.  Just HOPE that we do get lucky with a #1 Center and a PP QB this draft - I believe that JB and Trevor are betting their jobs on it.

I think 3 is more reasonable for the playoffs, 5 yes perhaps but thats a serious cup run. If Benning wasn't calling the shots i'd add another 2 years to both of those scenario's but i think we can make the playoff's in 3 no problem. 

we're not loaded with talent from a bunch of first picks with hardly any experienced back up and less ryan smith for leadership. finally they've began fixing that but with sutter and louie that won't be a problem here but adding and developing size and skilled is our issue as everyone knows we're too soft so expect a big center like Vilardi picked.

there's seems to be a rasmussen hate on here in the cdc but id like to see our second pick with a player traded to get him as well in this draft but im sure it wont happen but happy if we get a big center like Vilardi or...

On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

This question I keep coming back to..HOW should we use oodles of space, next summer???

For the sake of idle, summer blabbing:

- We surprise the experts/lowlifes/scribes, & finish 20th OA.

- Still in wildcard race until March, 2018. Finally dropping back.

- Twins have meh season( 1 gets injured for about 2 mos). But Daniel gets 1,000

- Most of the impetus comes from our surprising youth

- Utica does well too, & makes PO's, winning a round

...So it then appears a youthful-resurgence. Do we stay patient, & keep tonnes of space, or get more aggressive(trying to build off 17~18 momentum) with trades/UFA's?

************************************************************:

Are many/any here dreaming of a quick, 2 or 3 yr-turnaround, back to contender-status?

Or rather, has everyone resigned themselves to at least a half decade of dense jungle/blunt machete?

3 yrs in my humble opinion is exactly target. Sedins and miller gone for sure and thats a lot of cap space. Think Bo Brock and Jake in the top 6 and potentially Rodin as well so that leaves only 2 spots, yes a raise here and then a big PMD "quarteback" left on the list of needs 

3 years would see a guy like Vilardi fit in nicely and if rasmussen could be had then our top 6 would look pretty good then we'd still have $ to spend

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

3 yrs in my humble opinion is exactly target. Sedins and miller gone for sure and thats a lot of cap space. Think Bo Brock and Jake in the top 6 and potentially Rodin as well so that leaves only 2 spots, yes a raise here and then a big PMD "quarteback" left on the list of needs 

3 years would see a guy like Vilardi fit in nicely and if rasmussen could be had then our top 6 would look pretty good then we'd still have $ to spend

I don't think it's irrational optimism. Kids could bust ceilings, or break a leg..who knows?

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't think it's irrational optimism. Kids could bust ceilings, or break a leg..who knows?

agreed and however, Bo is improving and he has a good skill set and crazy work ethic. 

Boeser is first line material easily and when Jake gets settled in then that's half the battle down on top 6 needs. I loved how Rodin showed he could be a dominating player un-injured but hopefully he's ok and another top 6 spot is looked after BUT to add to that is what will make us or break us. If we end up with 2 nomal sized guy 's we will continue the soft and easy to play against model we've had for years. 

C'mon JB get us big skilled  center and winger then see what happens...

On 6/6/2017 at 3:40 PM, kingofsurrey said:

You mean like Loui E ?    No thanks.   Its all about draft and development for me.    Old washed up FA's  just don't seem to be the way to go with a rebuilding club.....

Depends on the term.  A short-term deal (like one year)?  Sure (so as long as we're only talking about one player vs a whole bunch of them).

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Depends on the term.  A short-term deal (like one year)?  Sure (so as long as we're only talking about one player vs a whole bunch of them).

A one year deal is fine as long as we don't give them a NTC / NMC.   Best case scenario is we trade them to a contender at the TDL for picks.

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

A one year deal is fine as long as we don't give them a NTC / NMC.   Best case scenario is we trade them to a contender at the TDL for picks.

Typically the only ufa's that sign one year deals are the ones desperately seeking a job or guys at the end of their career. Those aren't the type to get ntc's. Any ufa's of quality will be looking for more than a year and very likely some sort of ntc.

As much as I love the Sedins...this should probably be their last year :blush: It's time to move on.

I vote we use some of those cap dollar to sign Kane and if we haven't already signed a stop gap C (Gagner) to fill in until Petterson's impending arrival, see what's on the market next year (Tavares...?...bit of a pipe dream but you never know).

Trade Baer for picks/prospects.

Kane, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, UFA, Boeser

Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen

prospect, Gaunce, prospect

Rebuild Ho!

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

As much as I love the Sedins...this should probably be their last year :blush: It's time to move on.

I vote we use some of those cap dollar to sign Kane and if we haven't already signed a stop gap C (Gagner) to fill in until Petterson's impending arrival, see what's on the market next year (Tavares...?...bit of a pipe dream but you never know).

Kane, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, UFA, Boeser

Rebuild Ho!

Sutter's gone, JR. I decided to ship him for RNH!(need Jimbo to pick up his phone)

We'd best be cap-savvy, after the ludicrous McD-signing. Mentioned in another thread, it's akin to pouring endless champagne into them fancy pryamids of glasses.Trickle down is likely to f up some bottom lines. If our books have space, we should capitalize.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Then don't count on getting any valued UFA's to flip at deadline.  Any UFA we sign on a 1-2 year deal to flip will probably only fetch a 3rd round pick or something in that region. Maybe a B prospect.  

3rd round picks and/or B prospects for free? Where do I sign? I fail to see the downside of this...

On 6/7/2017 at 10:12 PM, cuporbust said:

Because ticket prices will be the same either way. 

Not really. Prices have gone way down than what they were 3-4 years ago. Last year you could go to a non-premium game for less than $50 a pop. Not a chance you could find that when the team was rollin'.

Even if you were right, spending for the sake of spending is idiotic. Flexibility is an asset. Anybody who says cap-space doesn't matter during a rebuild is ignorant.

• 1 month later...

Despite bringing in so many July FA's, we still got cap to spare. Benning seems to be getting wiser with the purse strings.

Appears next summer, we'll still be looking at 8 digits of AAV cap space.

On ‎2017‎年‎7‎月‎1‎日 at 0:52 AM, J.R. said:

Kane, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, UFA, Boeser

Rebuild Ho!

Ahem..did you say...

TAVARES?!

:^)  okay, sure!

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Despite bringing in so many July FA's, we still got cap to spare. Benning seems to be getting wiser with the purse strings.

Appears next summer, we'll still be looking at 8 digits of AAV cap space.

Ahem..did you say...

TAVARES?!

:^)  okay, sure!

That would be great but I doubt it happens.

Archived