The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gregory Campbell announces retirement

Gregory Campbell's playing career is over.

The veteran forward is hanging up his skates after 11 NHL seasons to join the Columbus Blue Jackets as an assistant player development coach.

"I had a lot of time to think about things over the last six or seven months," Campbell told Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.

"I wasn't ready to stop playing, but that's how it ends for most guys, and when it happens, you've got to move on. I feel like I have a lot to offer, but I also have a lot to learn, too, and the management group here was willing to give me an opportunity that will let me experience different parts of the game."

Campbell will work with Blue Jackets player development coaches Chris Clark and Jarkko Ruutu to help guide the organization's top prospects in North America and Europe.

The 33-year-old was Columbus' final cut in training camp last fall, after which the club suspended him for his refusal to report to the AHL.

The Blue Jackets terminated his contract in December.

Campbell leaves the game having collected 71 goals and 187 points in 803 games, while racking up 696 penalty minutes. He won the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins in 2011, and appears to have few regrets about his NHL tenure as a whole.

"I'm proud of what I accomplished in my playing career," Campbell said. "I won't ever be looked at as one of the greats, but I did everything I could to be the best player I could be. Nothing will be as much fun as playing, but there's a lot more to hockey, and I'm learning that now. I'm excited to help young guys find their way."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1315817

18 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

2011 unofficial Bruins MVP ^_^

Sure a lot of empirical proof to this comment.   I was in Europe playing at the time but watched when I could get a delay feed and could not believe the biased officiating.   I wasn't really "pulling" for either team (sorry Canuck fans) but became a Canuck fan (and huge Sedin admirer) for how much crap the team took without any ramifications to the Bruins.  Watching the current SCF, if that series had this officiating the Canucks would likely be the 2011 SC Champs.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sure a lot of empirical proof to this comment.   I was in Europe playing at the time but watched when I could get a delay feed and could not believe the biased officiating.   I wasn't really "pulling" for either team (sorry Canuck fans) but became a Canuck fan (and huge Sedin admirer) for how much crap the team took without any ramifications to the Bruins.  Watching the current SCF, if that series had this officiating the Canucks would likely be the 2011 SC Champs.

Actually it's refreshing to see a neutral opinion that feels the ice was tilted towards goon hockey. It's not the only reason the Canucks lost and arguable is was the biggest reason but the officiating was questionable at best.

Just now, Losing With Pride said:

That Cup final was a joke.

It's unbelievable how biased that reffing was.

but ask any non Canuck fan and we are just being poor sports.

Not to mention conlin campbell in charge of suspensions

2 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Actually it's refreshing to see a neutral opinion that feels the ice was tilted towards goon hockey. It's not the only reason the Canucks lost and arguable is was the biggest reason but the officiating was questionable at best.

A bunch of us would get together and watch and most were neutral to both teams and we constantly, in all games, commented on how slanted the ice was.   It was so obvious in Games 4 and 6 most notably but Game 2 was where some liberties taken by Lucic and Marchand were hard to comprehend why no suspensions occurred let alone that no penalty was called and then Rome got the punished he did in the series.   To a man, we felt it was so blatant that the commentators would say something but no such comment really ever came which surprised us even more.

That is dead ass weird!

If he got cut, its possible he was not in shape for one of Torts infamous 2km time trial fitness tests. Then would not report to Lake Erie or whatever their AHL team is called? It was beneath him to ride the busses & work with the kids. Got his contract terminated.

So they give him a player development role? :blink:

Smells like a grievance. ie maybe he had a (made up, feel sorry for me, don't send me to the minors) lingering injury. And had a case where the terminated contract had money owing. Ok, take this fat development salary and retire, keep any backlash from causing a potential cap hit issue. 

Either that or daddy to the rescue again...

:picard:

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That is dead ass weird!

If he got cut, its possible he was not in shape for one of Torts infamous 2km time trial fitness tests. Then would not report to Lake Erie or whatever their AHL team is called? It was beneath him to ride the busses & work with the kids. Got his contract terminated.

So they give him a player development role? :blink:

Smells like a grievance. ie maybe he had a (made up, feel sorry for me, don't send me to the minors) lingering injury. And had a case where the terminated contract had money owing. Ok, take this fat development salary and retire, keep any backlash from causing a potential cap hit issue. 

Either that or daddy to the rescue again...

:picard:

I think you may be reading too much into this. It's more likely that management said "Hey, we don't really have room for you here as a player but how about a role in player development?"

The refusal to report to the AHL was probably just a formality to get his contract terminated.

8 minutes ago, babych said:

I think you may be reading too much into this. It's more likely that management said "Hey, we don't really have room for you here as a player but how about a role in player development?"

The refusal to report to the AHL was probably just a formality to get his contract terminated.

Maybe.

You would think riding the bus for a million bucks wasn't bad?  But I guess what you are saying, was he expected to be picked up elsewhere.  So was happy with the termination.

Archived