The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Joonas Korpisalo

COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to a two-year contract extension through the 2018-19 National Hockey League season, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today. As is club policy, terms were not disclosed.

Korpisalo, 23, is 23-16-5 with a 2.68 goals-against average, .915 save percentage and one shutout in 45 career NHL games with the Blue Jackets. He has also posted a 15-16-5 mark with a 2.57 goals-against average, .908 save percentage and two shutouts in 37 career American Hockey League games with the Lake Erie/Cleveland Monsters and Springfield Falcons since making his North American pro debut at the end of the 2014-15 campaign.

The Pori, Finland native went 7-5-1 with a 2.88 goals-against average, .905 save percentage and one shutout in 14 games with the Jackets this past season. He stopped 24 shots to record his first NHL shutout in a 7-0 victory over the NY Islanders on February 25, 2017. He was also 7-6-3 with a 2.69 goals-against average and .907 save percentage in 16 contests with the Monsters. 

Korpisalo made his NHL debut in 2015-16, finishing third among NHL rookie goaltenders in wins and save percentage and fourth in games played with a 16-11-4 record, 2.60 goals-against average and .920 save percentage in 31 contests. The 6-3, 190-pound netminder also registered an 8-8-2 mark with a 2.36 goals-against average, .913 save percentage and two shutouts in 18 AHL games with the Monsters. He went 6-2 with a 2.96 GAA and .898 SV% in nine playoff games to help the Monsters capture the 2016 Calder Cup championship.

Selected by Columbus in the third round, 62nd overall, in the 2012 NHL Draft, Korpisalo went 17-15-7 with three shutouts in 48 career games in the Finnish Elite League (Liiga) from 2013-15.

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/korpisalo-extension-june-9/c-289856984

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I'd have to think they'd be giving up a better forward worth taking than a backup goalie.

Korpisalo is far a more than just a back up, he's young future #1 goalie. Something like a Jones/talbot were.  He's a goalie a new franchise would be drooling over the opportunity to get for free. 

1 hour ago, theminister said:

This where I expect Jarmo to give up a quality prospect like Milano to keep Korpi. 

Yeah that's what i would think.  I think CBJ is going to be quite active prior to the expansion. 

Buyout day starts June 15th, Expansion starts june 18th.  That's going to be a fun 3 days.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Korpisalo is far a more than just a back up, he's young future #1 goalie. Something like a Jones/talbot were.  He's a goalie a new franchise would be drooling over the opportunity to get for free. 

Yeah that's what i would think.  I think CBJ is going to be quite active prior to the expansion. 

Buyout day starts June 15th, Expansion starts june 18th.  That's going to be a fun 3 days.

Would love to somehow get Jenner off of them.

Archived