The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Development Camp 2017 - Updated with roster, schedule

I'm hoping Adam Brubacher has a good camp, He was named to the Atlantic Hockey Conference Gladiator Custom Mouthguards All-Rookie Team.

20 Pts in 34 games in his rookie season for R.I.T. (Tanev's Alma Mater)

I watched him play in Powell River and he was a really good puck mover/puck rushing defenseman. Very smart, good hard 1st pass when not skating it out of his zone himself! He has had success everywhere he has played, even though, production wise, he strictly looks like an offensive D-man, he still plays solid D in his own zone. 

Last weekend I met Myles Powell, local kid and also Brubachers teammate with R.I.T and asked him a few questions. He said Brubacher should have a very good collegiate career and could easily play at the pro level if he keeps progressing. I didn't ask if he thought his chances were good at the prospects camp, figured he would have said yes, being his teammate and all.

It seems like they sent the invite to the wrong adress when you look at Simon Chen. 

Anyone ever seen him play or heard something?

Undersized, bchl defensemen with nothing to show for production wise. 

Is it a "reaching over the border" type of situation? 

Canucks invite Chinese hockey player to prospects camp.. might get a few folks in China tuning into a Canucks game I guess. 

I'm really impressed that the college kids will be there. 

I believe that they have to pay their own way so this is a big commitment for them to be coming but it also may indicate their commitment to eventually signing with the Canucks.

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

It seems like they sent the invite to the wrong adress when you look at Simon Chen. 

Anyone ever seen him play or heard something?

Undersized, bchl defensemen with nothing to show for production wise. 

Is it a "reaching over the border" type of situation? 

Canucks invite Chinese hockey player to prospects camp.. might get a few folks in China tuning into a Canucks game I guess. 

His dad is Ray Zhang. The Chinese businessman who bought the Cowichan Valley Capitals last summer (coincidentally the team Chen played on for the 2016-17 season).

http://nationalteamsoficehockey.com/big-plans-capitals-are-part-of-owners-vision-for-building-chinese-hockey/

20 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'm really impressed that the college kids will be there. 

I believe that they have to pay their own way so this is a big commitment for them to be coming but it also may indicate their commitment to eventually signing with the Canucks.

Probably why most of the undrafted college invites live in Vancouver already.

Kellenberger and Isaacson are the only invites that stand out as players who were ranked in the last draft. And Luchuk was a highly regarded re-entry last year. So some decent talent there.

And as I said earlier, the NCAA crop of invites is pretty good.

Just wish we'd brought in a few of the guys I'd mentioned as potential targets earlier in this thread.

Here's a good profile on Kellenberger (who was ranked the 4th best CJHL prospect): http://thehockeywriters.com/top-2017-nhl-draft-prospects-cjhl/

4: Matthew Kellenberger – D – Oakville Blades (OJHL)

Ranked 165th in NHL CSS Midterm; 74th in Final

Matthew Kellenberger is an extremely smart, two-way defender who skates effortlessly. He remains cool and calm under pressure, using his strengths to buy himself time to make the best available play. Kellenberger has some offensive edge as well, often throwing long breakout passes, as well as a smart shot through screens from the blue-line.

In his OJHL rookie campaign, Kellenberger was named to the First Team All-Prospects, while scoring 10 goals and 28 points in 51 games. He is admired for a smart, puck-moving style, while having the strength at 6’1″, 174 pounds to drive opponents to the outside. He also has a natural ability to pick opponents’ pockets and quickly transition the play to the offensive.

Kellenberger is a Princeton University commit for 2018-19, and projects to be an intelligent two-way defenceman with off-the-charts hockey IQ. He is a perfect example of a kid who simply needs a little more time and experience to iron out the imperfections of his game, while becoming quicker and stronger.

And here's a profile for Nick Isaacson (from last year obviously): https://www.google.ca/amp/s/prospectshockey.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/475/amp/

Nick Isaacson (LW) – Lindsay Muskies (OJHL) – August.11.1999 – 6’2, 184 – Toronto, Ontario
43 GP – 15 G – 11 A – 26 PTS – 30 PIM

A rangy two-way forward with strong offensive instincts and a high compete level, Nick Isaacson has excelled thus far this season with the Lindsay Muskies of the OJHL. A player who displays impressive Hockey Sense, Isaacson shows an awareness in all three zones, that allows him to thrive both in possession and away from the puck. While Isaacson does show a combination of competitiveness, smarts and skill his skating is still a bit of a work in progress. Isaacson boasts and long stride and his able to generate good straight line speed, however he lacks fluidity to his stride along with an explosiveness in his first step. With that being said Isaacson can be tough to contain off the rush once he reaches his top speed as he combines impressive puck protection skills with deceptively quick hands to thrive on net drives and in tight. While not overly physical on a consistent bases, Isaacson does show a tenaciousness in puck pursuit and will finishes his checks. A player who transitions up ice well, Isaacson is argubably at his best in tight around the net where he uses his physical attributes along with quick hands and a nose for the net to excel. A player who shows an impressive confidence in possession, Isaacson has consistently produced for a weak Lindsay Muskies team this season and should be a near lock for the 2016-2017 version of the Peterborough Petes.

EDIT: here's a more recent scouting report from HFBoards:

LW - Nicholas Isaacson - Peterborough Petes
A budding offensive forward with a lot of skill. He is very young, and didn't put up great numbers this season, but he didn't have a lot of opportunity. Saw him a few times and it was evident that he is a confident offensive player, that should flourish with more opportunity. One of my late round sleeper picks who I expect to explode offensively next year.

Props to you! :) 

On 2017-03-13 at 4:11 PM, kenhodgejr said:

Logan Stanley and Michael Sergachev get all the attention on Windsor Spitfires defence but this guy is putting up points on a stacked Spitfires team. To add a 6 foot RD prospect is a really good thing.  Aaron Luchuk looks like a good prospect to go after on this team as well.

At least JB and company listens to somebody on here. ;) 

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

The looks NHL ready. It's just up to his strength now I guess. 

Yeah, Olli's size now is a little bigger than Tanev's when he broke into the Canuck's lineup. If Olli is ready, and he is sheltered by Green, then maybe ...

Archived