The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking Canuck players 25 & under in the system

Hortankin

Just like to see how others rank our current pile of youth that's suppose to lead us to promise land in 3-5 years.

I'm going to do 1 based on current rankings and then based on how I believe it will look in 5 years time.

1. Horvat

2. Boeser

3. Baertschi 

4. Tryamkin 

5. Granlund

6. Stecher 

7. Gudbranson 

8. Hutton

9. Demko

10. Goldobin

11. Dahlen

12. Juolevi

13. Molino

14. Gaudette

15. Virtanen 

16. Subban

17. McEneny

18. Pedan

19. Lockwood

20. Brisebois

Bolden players are players Jim has got for us in his 3 year stint. Not bad, don't understand the hate towards him. Not just by fans but by the media as well.

In 5-7 years.....

1. Demko (+8)

2. Horvat (-1)

3. Boeser (-1)

4. Dahlen (+7)

5. Juolevi (+7)

6. Stecher (=)

7. Virtanen (+8)

8. Tryamkin (-4)

9. Goldobin (+1)

10. Gaudette (+4)

11. Gudbranson (-4)

12. Hutton (-4)

13. Granlund (-8)

14. Baertschi (-11)

15. Subban (+1)

16. Molino (-3)

17. Lockwood (+2)

18. Brisbois (+2)

19. McEneny (-2)

20. McEwen (?)

Sorry if I forgot anyone, tried my best :P

10 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Just like to see how others rank our current pile of youth that's suppose to lead us to promise land in 3-5 years.

I'm going to do 1 based on current rankings and then based on how I believe it will look in 5 years time.

1. Horvat

2. Boeser

3. Baertschi 

4. Tryamkin 

5. Granlund

6. Stecher 

7. Gudbranson 

8. Hutton

9. Demko

10. Goldobin

11. Dahlen

12. Juolevi

13. Molino

14. Gaudette

15. Virtanen 

16. Subban

17. McEneny

18. Pedan

19. Lockwood

20. Brisebois

Reasonable list. I think there is a big drop-off between2 and 3 with only Horvat and Boeser being "blue chip" young players -- guys who are likely to play at the level of core players on a good team in the next year or two. There is another big drop off between 12 and 13 with the guys from 13 down being longshots to be more than marginal NHL players any time soon if at all. If I were to fine-tune the list I might move Granlund and Molino down a few spots and Demko and Brisebois up a few spots. And, as Trymakin is not likely to around for next two years (or more) it is questionable as to whether he should be on the list at all.

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Reasonable list. I think there is a big drop-off between2 and 3 with only Horvat and Boeser being "blue chip" young players -- guys who are likely to play at the level of core players on a good team in the next year or two. There is another big drop off between 12 and 13 with the guys from 13 down being longshots to be more than marginal NHL players any time soon if at all. If I were to fine-tune the list I might move Granlund and Molino down a few spots and Demko and Brisebois up a few spots. And, as Trymakin is not likely to around for next two years (or more) it is questionable as to whether he should be on the list at all.

He's still in the system anD I believe he comes back. No way JB let's that talent just go away. Even if he doesn't come back I'm still satisfied with our D. Especially if we draft Heiskanen or Makar

24 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

1. Horvat

2. Boeser

3. Baertschi 

4. Tryamkin 

5. Granlund

6. Stecher 

7. Gudbranson 

8. Hutton

9. Demko

10. Goldobin

11. Dahlen

12. Juolevi

13. Molino

14. Gaudette

15. Virtanen 

16. Subban

17. McEneny

18. Pedan

19. Lockwood

20. Brisebois

In 5-7 years.....

1. Demko (+8)

2. Horvat (-1)

3. Boeser (-1)

4. Dahlen (+7)

5. Juolevi (+7)

6. Stecher (=)

7. Virtanen (+8)

8. Tryamkin (-4)

9. Goldobin (+1)

10. Gaudette (+4)

11. Gudbranson (-4)

12. Hutton (-4)

13. Granlund (-8)

14. Baertschi (-11)

15. Subban (+1)

16. Molino (-3)

17. Lockwood (+2)

18. Brisbois (+2)

19. McEneny (-2)

20. McEwen (?)

I think Gaudette could take a much bigger leap up into potentially the top 5 and Juolevi has more potential that people are giving him because he's not a flashy player but overall I think its pretty accurate. 

I kind of feel bad for Baertschi if he reads this. Dropping him 11 spots was tough but for some reason I just don't see Baertschi as most people do. I hope I'm wrong but I think he will slowly slip down the lineup.

I kind of feel we should add him to a package with Tanev and try for to get Drouin and the 14th pick (Foote)

Drouin will be a lock as top line winger and we will also add another great D prospect.

Sorry Baertschi, it's just my opinion

My guess is that 75% of the players you list will not be on the Canucks and a large portion of them will not  be in the NHL 5 - 7 years from now.. The average NHL career is 5.5 years and more than 50% of NHL players play less than 100 NHL games. This makes projections 5 - 7 years out just a little difficult. :lol:

Your current rankings seem to be split between current Canucks and those yet to make the big team. 1 - 8 is how you rate current Canucks and 9 - 20 is how you would rank those yet to make the team? What exactly are we ranking? Skill, value to the team, offensive ability, trade value or something else? Not trying to be difficult but I don't know the criteria for composing a list.

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

1. Horvat

2. Boeser

3. Baertschi 

4. Tryamkin 

5. Granlund

6. Stecher 

7. Gudbranson 

8. Hutton

9. Demko

10. Goldobin

11. Dahlen

12. Juolevi

13. Molino

14. Gaudette

15. Virtanen 

16. Subban

17. McEneny

18. Pedan

19. Lockwood

20. Brisebois

In 5-7 years.....

1. Demko (+8)

2. Horvat (-1)

3. Boeser (-1)

4. Dahlen (+7)

5. Juolevi (+7)

6. Stecher (=)

7. Virtanen (+8)

8. Tryamkin (-4)

9. Goldobin (+1)

10. Gaudette (+4)

11. Gudbranson (-4)

12. Hutton (-4)

13. Granlund (-8)

14. Baertschi (-11)

15. Subban (+1)

16. Molino (-3)

17. Lockwood (+2)

18. Brisbois (+2)

19. McEneny (-2)

20. McEwen (?)

Someone likes Virtanen LOL

Its a reasonable list. But Molino being 13th already? The guy is 23 and has no pro hockey experience (besides 5 games). He didn't have an outstanding year at Western Michigan and he's not a very big guy. I would have certainly had him behind Subban.

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

My guess is that 75% of the players you list will not be on the Canucks and a large portion of them will not  be in the NHL 5 - 7 years from now.. The average NHL career is 5.5 years and more than 50% of NHL players play less than 100 NHL games. This makes projections 5 - 7 years out just a little difficult. :lol:

Your current rankings seem to be split between current Canucks and those yet to make the big team. 1 - 8 is how you rate current Canucks and 9 - 20 is how you would rank those yet to make the team? What exactly are we ranking? Skill, value to the team, offensive ability, trade value or something else? Not trying to be difficult but I don't know the criteria for composing a list.

Ranking who is the better players as of right now, and then projecting the future.

The ones on the top 9 are there mainly because they proved they could play. Players like Virtanen, Dahlen, and Goldobin could move up fairly quickly with a strong start to the season. Just personal preference. Was hoping to see more people attempt it, but I guess the lists would be pretty similar.. it's going to be a long Offseason :(

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Why are people still considering Nikita as "part of the system". 

He didn't want to be here. Give it a rest guys. So much hype and excitement just because he is 6'7...

I think the fact that the Canucks still own his rights and will do for the next 5 years is why people consider him part of the system.

Also, I wouldn't write Tryamkin off just yet.  There is talk that the KHL  will shrink by losing 3 teams next year. This means that there will be stack of established KHL Dmen looking for jobs elsewhere.  Given that he was a marginal player before he left Russian and while he was here, he may not find it easy to get significant minutes playing for Automobilvist.    

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Why are people still considering Nikita as "part of the system". 

He didn't want to be here. Give it a rest guys. So much hype and excitement just because he is 6'7...

He is in out system. We have his rights.

Why do people assume he won't come back. Maybe him and his wife plan on starting a family and Tryamkin wanted to be a full time dad for a bit. Whose to say 2-3 years down the road he won't return? Money talks and you can bank on him eventually missing the NHL $ 

Tryamkin took a home break, he didn't retire.

There's so much hype because he's a 6 foot 7 monster that hits like a truck, plays D like a boss, and can almost keep pace with McDavid. Did you ever see Tryamkin go end to end leading to great scoring chances? If not you should check him out. He has HOF potential

2 hours ago, Jaku said:

Its a reasonable list. But Molino being 13th already? The guy is 23 and has no pro hockey experience (besides 5 games). He didn't have an outstanding year at Western Michigan and he's not a very big guy. I would have certainly had him behind Subban.

I'm basing that off what I seen from him and he was arguably the most consistent Canuck since joining the team. He really impressed me. 

The point of the thread was to see different opinions, you should make a ranking and see how yours compares with others

2 hours ago, Jaku said:

That's the kid with good wheels, right? Hope he keeps climbing, we need that speed.

Archived