The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta Man Marks Canada 150 in 150K Ways

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/careersandeducation/dollar10k-for-you-and-you-and-you-alberta-man-drops-off-cheques-in-each-canadian-capital-to-help-the-hungry/ar-BBCry6O?li=AA54rW&ocid=spartanntp

Alberta's Geoff Gyles is driving up the Alaska Highway this weekend, en route to Whitehorse.

His mission? To drop off a $10,000 cheque for the local food bank.

It's Gyles's unique way of celebrating Canada 150. He's already delivered cheques to five provincial capitals, and plans to keep going until he's reached all 13 provincial and territorial capitals in the country.

"I thought it was a good moment in time to take a look at one problem that faces all of Canada, which is the hunger problem," said Gyles from Canmore, Alta., who started Journey to End Hunger to raise awareness of child hunger in Canada.

An estimated 1.1 million children face food insecurity in communities across Canada each year, according to Food Banks Canada. 

"It couldn't have come at a better time," said Tristan Newsome at the Whitehorse Food Bank, which is gearing up for a busy summer.

"We couldn't be any more grateful for the donation."

Helping the hungry

After working in agriculture for more than 40 years, Gyles said he wanted to "refocus."

"As a kid, watching TV, you'd see these programs where there's people starving in many different countries around the world," recalled Gyles. "The reason I went into agriculture originally was to help."

Gyles said he got distracted over the years, with family (he's a father of four) and running his business. His interest in world hunger took a back seat.

"I lost sight of those things for a moment."

Gyles hopes that this project will encourage more Canadians to donate to food banks and food-related charities, or even to contact their local MP or member of the legislature about solving the hunger problem in Canada.

Oai Truong, owner of Bounce Design Inc., which created Gyles's website, has worked with him for over eight years and describes him as someone who "never really wanted a spotlight."

She said his dedication to the project, and the cause, is genuine.  

"He's not only putting in the money, but he's putting in the time," Truong said.

"I have a lot of clients in the non-profit industry, and often you get millionaires signing a cheque and handing them to organizations.

"But for him to take the time to visit these organizations … to meet the people on the ground, I think that's pretty admirable."

The project is also allowing Gyles to fulfil his lifelong desire to drive across Canada. His trek started in St. John's at the beginning of June and then swung to the West.

After Whitehorse, he'll drive to Yellowknife. Then he'll head to Ottawa for Canada Day, and on to Quebec and the East Coast.

Gyles will end the cross-country tour in Nunavut — the place with the highest food insecurity rate for any Indigenous population in a developed country.

A quarter of Inuit preschoolers are severely food insecure, and of those children, 76 per cent skip meals and 60 per cent have gone a whole day without eating, according to a 2014 report by the Canadian Council of Academies.

In total, Gyles will donate $150,000 to all 13 capitals as well as Toronto and the national Breakfast for Learning program.

At the end of his tour, Gyles plans to auction off his vehicle and donate the proceeds to charity.

Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. Although I'm not a big supporter or even believer in food banks I admire this mans unselfish sacrifice and his effort to take it to the people. He will sell his vehicle at the end of his trek and donate that as well. A true humanitarian.  

1 hour ago, nucklehead said:

Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. Although I'm not a big supporter or even believer in food banks I admire this mans unselfish sacrifice and his effort to take it to the people. He will sell his vehicle at the end of his trek and donate that as well. A true humanitarian.  

Would you be willing to elaborate on this? I'm not "calling you out" or trying to start an internet fight or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to why you're down on food banks?

11 minutes ago, babych said:

Would you be willing to elaborate on this? I'm not "calling you out" or trying to start an internet fight or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to why you're down on food banks?

Not sure if theirs any truth to it..but I have heard that food banks need to do a better job of determining how and who is eligible for food stamps. 

I've heard stories of some pretty well off people lining up for food. Gaming the system or whatever you want to call it. 

2 hours ago, nucklehead said:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/careersandeducation/dollar10k-for-you-and-you-and-you-alberta-man-drops-off-cheques-in-each-canadian-capital-to-help-the-hungry/ar-BBCry6O?li=AA54rW&ocid=spartanntp

You don't even "believe" in food banks? That's kind of a weird thing to not believe in.

I don't believe in food banks either. IMO they reward laziness and promote entitlement. Imagine if kids began to think that they are entitled to a hot meal, the consequences will be disastrous.They will surely grow up and think that they do not have to work for it and someone will just give them a free meal whenever they are hungry. Instead I believe we should all buy these kids a knife and let them loose in a forest and make them work for their food. If they have to starve a few nights, so be it, it will build character.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I don't believe in food banks either. IMO they reward laziness and promote entitlement. Imagine if kids began to think that they are entitled to a hot meal, the consequences will be disastrous.They will surely grow up and think that they do not have to work for it and someone will just give them a free meal whenever they are hungry. Instead I believe we should all buy these kids a knife and let them loose in a forest and make them work for their food. If they have to starve a few nights so be it, it will build character.

This here is exactly why we need food banks.  Listen, if someone is willing to line up for a bag of food, they likely need it.  It hurts my heart when I know someone is hungry....I've been known to bag up leftovers to send to a kid whose Mom had pretty much stopped feeding him.

There is likely a better way but, until someone comes up with it, we have to make sure the hungry have access to food.  I'm involved in a charity parade that collects food and $$ for the food bank each Christmas and feel proud when we can donate.   I guess it's a matter of opinion, but imagine being hungry but having no food?

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

This here is exactly why we need food banks.  Listen, if someone is willing to line up for a bag of food, they likely need it.  It hurts my heart when I know someone is hungry....I've been known to bag up leftovers to send to a kid whose Mom had pretty much stopped feeding him.

There is likely a better way but, until someone comes up with it, we have to make sure the hungry have access to food.  I'm involved in a charity parade that collects food and $$ for the food bank each Christmas and feel proud when we can donate.   I guess it's a matter of opinion, but imagine being hungry but having no food?

Psst Deb your sarcasm detector might need some fine tuning. :P

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I don't believe in food banks either. IMO they reward laziness and promote entitlement. Imagine if kids began to think that they are entitled to a hot meal, the consequences will be disastrous.They will surely grow up and think that they do not have to work for it and someone will just give them a free meal whenever they are hungry. Instead I believe we should all buy these kids a knife and let them loose in a forest and make them work for their food. If they have to starve a few nights, so be it, it will build character.

whats wrong with you  people that are in poverty have mental health issues  or are stuck in a bad situation not all are junkies or methheads you totally come across as a douche bag 

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Absolutely!  The English workhouses are the way to go! :o

5 hours ago, Toews said:

HungerGames-300x168.jpg

:)

Archived