The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft, Who's protected, Who's not

VegasCanuck

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

If I missed another dedicated thread about this, my apologies. I did a search and couldn't find one.

Have some questions about who exactly is exposed for the expansion draft on the Canucks and who isn't. I thought that we would have to expose Gudbranson because of age, but did we dodge a bullet because he was injured and only played in 30 games for the year?

Was reviewing the CapFriendly site the other day and it looks like we have to expose 1 of the following 4 on D:

Edler

Tanev

Sbisa

Biega

On forward, we can protect 7, but If I'm reading this right, on forward, we have to expose 1 of the following 8:

H Sedin (NMC)

D Sedin (NMC)

Eriksson (NMC)

Sutter

Dorsett

Baertschi

Granlund

Megna

In Goal, I know we can only protect 1 and that's Markstrom and that was why we signed Bachman last summer, was to cover leaving someone exposed.

Source on this was: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

With Biega playing the final part of the season at forward, could he be exposed as a forward?

Just now, Alflives said:

With Biega playing the final part of the season at forward, could he be exposed as a forward?

not likely, he hasn't played enough games AS a F and we'd be asking for a circumvention penalty, and you know the NHL office would love it if they made us the example. 

1 hour ago, Screw said:

My protected list:

1.Sedin              1. Edler      1.Markstrom

2.Sedin              2. Tanev

3. Eriksson        3. Gudbranson

4.Horvat

5.Grandlund

6.Beartchi

7.Sutter

Simple as that.  If that isn't the Canucks protection list I will be shocked. (barring no trades of course)

1 hour ago, Screw said:

My protected list:

1.Sedin              1. Edler      1.Markstrom

2.Sedin              2. Tanev

3. Eriksson        3. Gudbranson

4.Horvat

5.Grandlund

6.Beartchi

7.Sutter

the only way its not this is if Loui waives his NMC. Maybe if he reads CDC.

Protect:

Henrik (NMC)

Daniel (NMC)

Eriksson (NMC)

Horvat

Sutter

Baertschi

Granlund

Tanev

Edler

Gudbranson

Markstrom

Expose:

Sbisa

Gaunce 

Boucher

Biega

Megna

etc. 

In summary, there's a 95% chance we lose Sbisa. No need to make things more complicated than that. 

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

It's confirmed Pens Marc-Andre Fleury will waive his NMC. Apparently he did it back in February. 

but only for expansion purposes to Vegas.  Penguins can't just trade him to Calgary for example.

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Protect:

Henrik (NMC)

Daniel (NMC)

Eriksson (NMC)

Horvat

Sutter

Baertschi

Granlund

Tanev

Edler

Gudbranson

Markstrom

Expose:

Sbisa

Gaunce 

Boucher

Biega

Megna

etc. 

In summary, there's a 95% chance we lose Sbisa. No need to make things more complicated than that. 

I'd rather lose Sutter than Sbisa, and I'd like to keep Boucher for another year to see what he can do, right at the end of the year last year he was playing great. 

On 6/12/2017 at 0:03 PM, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I'd rather lose Sutter than Sbisa, and I'd like to keep Boucher for another year to see what he can do, right at the end of the year last year he was playing great. 

do the math:

option a: 7 + 3 + 1 = 11

option b: 8 + 1 = 9

It's the exception for teams to take option b

Also, Sutter?  

This has been floating out there and is not happening.  The Sedins had a big drop off last season.  Now, Hank says that he had an off year, and will bounce back next year.  Good for him but I saw 2 things in the twins play last season.  Losing a step.  Even them, they just can't get back defensively.  And losing their hands.  Much less Sedinery and lots of turnovers (granted, they have always had lots).  I wish Hank luck on the bounce back but I'll believe it when I see it.  

What if the slide continues and the twins decide to retire at the end of next season?  

That's why Benning traded for Sutter.  He's best suited as a 3C but he is able to play up the line up.  Sutter was there to take the tough match ups ahead of young developing centres.  Obviously Horvat can handle himself but who after that?  There is Granlund but I think the jury is out whether he is better on the wing.

Obviously, the future top 6 C is yet to be drafted.

Crazy idea... why not ask the Sedins to waive their NMC?  With some discussion of course.  And the Canucks can protect two different players.

There is NO WAY the Knights take an aging and expensive Sedin, especially since the other isn't part of the deal.  JB talks it over with them.  Everyone and their dog knows that the Sedins are much better together than they are apart, and either on their own is an average player at best at this point in their careers.

6 minutes ago, King_Canuckian said:

Crazy idea... why not ask the Sedins to waive their NMC?  With some discussion of course.  And the Canucks can protect two different players.

There is NO WAY the Knights take an aging and expensive Sedin, especially since the other isn't part of the deal.  JB talks it over with them.  Everyone and their dog knows that the Sedins are much better together than they are apart, and either on their own is an average player at best at this point in their careers.

The deadline to ask them to waive for expansion was Monday afternoon. There were no reports of Vancouver asking any of the 3 with NMC's to waive. So you can write off that idea

Archived