The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft, Who's protected, Who's not

VegasCanuck

40 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I see that Capfriendly has Dorsett available in the draft.  I though he was exempt due to injuries?

If so, I could see LV taking him over Gaunce, just to add some grit to their team.  Maybe Dors becomes iffy, due to neck surgery though.

Injured Players

Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed the previous 60+ consecutive games due to an injury, do not meet the criteria set forth by the league in respect to the minimum exposure requirements for players, and in certain cases these players may even be deemed as exempt from the Expansion Draft selection process.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft-faq

This wouldn't be very politically correct, but I would have been tempted to ask Eriksson to waive his NMC, knowing that with his cap hit and after last season, it would be unlikely that Vegas would pick him.

I would then protect Granlund over Gaunce as he's already showing his upside.

5 minutes ago, Banksy91 said:

I think it's a mistake to protect Sutter and expose Gaunce. Doesn't make any sense. I think Gaunce will be as good as Sutter in 3 years which is about when we will be competitive again. 

Gaunce is not 'foundational' JB brought Sutter in to sheppard the team through the transition from the Sedin era to one that is relevant.  Gaunce can be replaced for less than $1m anytime.

4 hours ago, Memories of Slegr said:

The deal with Gaunce is that he's a player we want to have in our system. But he hasn't shown enough to warrant a spot on the protected list. Good news is he very possibly won't be taken. 

I'd agree with this, and hopefully he won't be taken.

The way people dismiss Gaunce here on CDC though is pretty silly.  

He is a far more valuable player for us (and into the future hopefully) than people who read stats give him credit for.

Sportsnet just released protected list, nothing suprising

VANCOUVER
Sven Baertschi (F)
Loui Eriksson (F)
Markus Granlund (F)
Bo Horvat (F)
Daniel Sedin (F)
Henrik Sedin (F)
Brandon Sutter (F)
Alexander Edler (D)
Erik Gudbranson (D)
Christopher Tanev (D)
Jacob Markstrom (G)

17 hours ago, Canucks1000 said:

Something no one is talking about, but I'm going to put out there: what if Vegas signs Miller? 

They want a veteran presence in net. Giving Miller a one or two year contract to be their starter while they bring along their young net minders might be just what they need. It would make more sense than taking Fluery, because the Pens have better assets than we do in other positions that Vegas could take. Miller is probably our best player, and he's being left exposed. It would make a world of sense. Not far for him to go to LA.

Vegas is a hiccup away from LA. Their roster could be better than Van's. Many reasons why it works for Miller. I do not want him resigned in Vancouver. If he did it would likely be for a minimum of 2 years. IMO the CAP could be used for closing deals for picks to the 2017 or 2018 drafts. Markstrom is capable.  

2 hours ago, GrandpaCanuck said:

Sportsnet just released protected list, nothing suprising

VANCOUVER
Sven Baertschi (F)
Loui Eriksson (F)
Markus Granlund (F)
Bo Horvat (F)
Daniel Sedin (F)
Henrik Sedin (F)
Brandon Sutter (F)
Alexander Edler (D)
Erik Gudbranson (D)
Christopher Tanev (D)
Jacob Markstrom (G)

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated! Nothing surprising at all. When does Vegas make their expansion picks?

19 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated! Nothing surprising at all. When does Vegas make their expansion picks?

They have to submit their selection on Wednesday 10am ET.   The reveal will take place during the NHL awards that same evening.  Until then teams can continue to negotiate with Vegas - re who to pick on their exposed list.  

Teams cannot sign players or trade with a team other than Vegas until Thursday 22 June 8am ET. 

Archived