The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stepan on the trade block

New York Rangers forward Derek Stepan is on the trade market as the off-season starts to heat up, according to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie.

Worth noting, Stepan has full NTC (for next two seasons) that kicks in on July 1. No NTC until then. Final 2 yrs of deal is modified NTC.

If the Rangers want to trade Stepan and the $26 million left on his contract over the next four years, they'll have to do it by the end of the month as a full no-trade clause kicks in on July 1. The full no-trade last two years with a modified no trade-clause being implemented for the last two seasons in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

A complicating factor for the Rangers in moving Stepan, however, is the need to meet expansion requirements. Signing Matt Puempel earlier Wednesday allowed the Rangers to meet the expansion needs of two forwards under contract for next season being exposed. Trading Stepan, who is projected to be left exposed with his $6.5 million cap hit, would likely alter the Rangers expansion plans dramatically and leave them exposing a player they are currently projected to protect.

The 26-year-old American scored 17 goals and added 38 assists over 81 games with the Rangers in 2016-17, his seventh year with the club. He added two goals and four helpers over 12 playoff games this season. 

Selected by the Rangers 51st overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Stepan has 128 goals and 232 assists over 515 career games with the Blueshirts. 

He signed a six-year, $39 million contract with the Rangers in 2015. 

Earlier Wednesday, the Rangers announced they will buy out longtime defenceman Dan Girardi

Sutter and Tanev for Stepan, Rangers First, + a little cap space.

That's a legit top 2 centre and a decent pick 21st for a third line centre and a #2 ish D.

Stepan takes our teams depth down the middle up a big notch, and allows him to bridge the post Sedin years with Bo as we get a new number 1 in place. 

Makar or top C at 5 and hopefully Kostin, Yamamoto, Suzuki or Andersson at 21

Throwing my hat in the ring. Blockbuster..Rags are league-darling, so they'll get an out...

Rags: Stepan, Girardi, good prospect, & their 1st

Colorado: Barrie, Colborne, Nieto, meh prospect

Stepan shouldn't have embarrassed Lundqvist on-ice. Appears mgt have chosen what to do.

edit^ Better make that Staal! Just saw they bought out Girardi!

:^)

19 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Sutter and Tanev for Stepan, Rangers First, + a little cap space.

That's a legit top 2 centre and a decent pick 21st for a third line centre and a #2 ish D.

Stepan takes our teams depth down the middle up a big notch, and allows him to bridge the post Sedin years with Bo as we get a new number 1 in place. 

Makar or top C at 5 and hopefully Kostin, Yamamoto, Suzuki or Andersson at 21

Rangers are clearing cap space to sign some of their RFAs.  Also, they don't have any room to protect players coming from a trade.  You are right though, Stepan would be a great addition to the team.  Just entering his prime and already a constant +55pt playmaking C, who is also good in the d-zone.  He'll be just 30yrs old when his contract is up, so he'll likely still be putting up admirable numbers.  Can't say he's a 'cap dump' but for the Rangers he kind of is (especially considering that they have a couple of C's that need ED protection). If he did come to the Canucks, he would bump Baer or Granny off the protected list, so that's another consideration for sure.

I think they'd want a pick + a ED exempt prospect and I'm not sure JB want to do that. Maybe if he trades Tanev for a 10-14th pick and the pick to the rags for Stepan?

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

To Vancouver - Stepan

To NYR - Ericsson

Call it a wash........^_^

Yes please. Rangers would never do that.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I wish.

+1

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sutter for Stepan and NYR 1st? 

:lol: good luck.

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Stepan and picks to Anaheim with Vatanen and something else coming back?

Maybe Montreal. They would have to make other moves and NYR would likely have to retain some cap.

Just now, Vanisleryan said:

No big contracts please. ...I just want picks this year...just picks. ...If we leave the draft landing 3 OA and keeping our 5 OA and our 33 OA I will be so happy...we are so close to going in the right direction yet can so easily mess it all up.

eriksson_loui.jpg

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Throwing my hat in the ring. Blockbuster..Rags are league-darling, so they'll get an out...

Rags: Stepan, Girardi, good prospect, & their 1st

Colorado: Barrie, Colborne, Nieto, meh prospect

Stepan shouldn't have embarrassed Lundqvist on-ice. Appears mgt have chosen what to do.

edit^ Better make that Staal! Just saw they bought out Girardi!

:^)

How did he embarrass Lundqvist?

Archived