The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stepan on the trade block

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

eriksson_loui.jpg

To be fair, Ericsson was not a trade, but a UFA signing. It costed nothing in terms of draft picks and played bad enough that he contributed to the tank.

Also, Desjardins I think has a bad system. I'm looking to him bouncing back. He had three prior 30 goal seasons.

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Trade for every available player!!!

Can't wait to start seeing the youth within the organization develop as opposed to seeing proposals for other teams trash all the time.

Stepan is not trash anymore than Horvat is.  Other than Boeser, I think it will be a long while before any of the Canuck prospects start putting up Stepan type numbers.

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

To be fair, Ericsson was not a trade, but a UFA signing. It costed nothing in terms of draft picks and played bad enough that he contributed to the tank.

Also, Desjardins I think has a bad system. I'm looking to him bouncing back. He had three prior 30 goal seasons.

I was just messing around based on what the op had posted. I'm hoping LE rebounds and I think he likely will.

If the expansion draft weren't a thing and we were the team of say, four or five years ago I'd consider it. But we've already got an expensive stopgap in LE.

Only way I'd take him was if they took Sutter and gave us picks which is pretty damn unlikely imo.

The New York Rangers have set the price for

at a "no doubt first-pair right defenceman," Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports.

Brooks notes the Rangers feel they already have a second-pairing defenceman in

if they re-sign him before free agency.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported Wednesday Stepan is available on the trade market before his full no-trade clause picks in on July 1.

Stepan has four years and $26 million left on his contract with annual cap hit of $6.5 million.

The 26-year-old American scored 17 goals and added 38 assists over 81 games with the Rangers in 2016-17, his seventh year with the club. He added two goals and four helpers over 12 playoff games this season. 

Selected by the Rangers 51st overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Stepan has 128 goals and 232 assists over 515 career games with the Blueshirts. 

He signed a six-year, $39 million contract with the Rangers in 2015. 

Something bigger may be brewing for the Arizona Coyotes.

After pulling off a minor deal that saw Nick Cousins move from the Philadelphia Flyers to the desert, general manager John Chayka appears to have his eyes on New York Rangers center Derek Stepan, and he's reportedly not alone.

According to TSN's Bob McKenzie, the Coyotes are one of multiple teams with "serious interest" in Stepan.

Stepan has four years remaining on a contract that carries a salary cap hit of $6.5 million. That deal has a no-trade clause over the next two seasons, and a modified no-trade clause in the final two seasons. As McKenzie noted, that clause doesn't kick in until July 1, meaning the Rangers are free to trade him for the best possible return.

Following a postseason series loss to Ottawa, Stepan said he was ashamed of his play. He registered one goal and three assists in six games against the Senators.

No idea why Arizona is showing interest. They have Keller, Strome and Domi in the wings, could just wait it out. If they're thinking about getting serious and making a playoff push or starting one, then Tanev or Sbisa would be a lovely fit in Arizona too...hope JB keeps his ears peeled.

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Tanev, Sutter, and Guance for Stepan and Rangers 2nd.

For a 55 point center who makes $6.5M and will be approaching 30 years old by the time we're a playoff team? Hard pass. 

Galchenyuk would be a better target but even then I wouldn't wanna give up the picks/prospects that Montreal will want. We need to be targeting players Bo's age or younger. 

Archived