The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The internet ruined my surprise with stupid ads

Raymond Luxury Yacht

First, I'm glad CDC isn't gone, I went to some other forums to see what's up and found them angry and spiteful.  Oddly, many posters on other boards call CDC angry and spiteful while making many angry and spiteful comments....that's not what this is about though...so I will carry on.

I'm angry, and spiteful!

My wife's birthday is coming up and I wanted to surprise her and get her something she didn't ask for but talks about often.  She wants to start painting again and I want her to start painting again, so for her birthday I decided to get her a nice easel and some painting supplies.  Unfortunately I made the fatal mistake of actually searching for an easel online, and now the sites she frequents keep popping up ads for easels.  She totally called me out on it and said she knows what I'm getting her.  I was furious...but at who?  Myself for not using an ad blocker?  The interwebz for being such a friggin' goof?  The advertisers who pepper me with crappy little ads hidden in pages?  I don't even know who I'm mad at, but I'm mad.  I guess it's at myself for not using an ad blocker the most.  The internet can kiss my butt...stupid internet.

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I don't understand why people don't use AdBlockers. Ads literally destroy any web page and video. Even worse on mobile as it takes up data and may not even load. 

I tried an ad blocker and it worked like sh!t. Didn't see any difference at all. Used it mostly for ads on iPad YouTube. 

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

I tried an ad blocker and it worked like sh!t. Didn't see any difference at all. Used it mostly for ads on iPad YouTube. 

I haven't found a working adblocker for my iPad yet either, but on Chrome (desktop/laptop) they work amazingly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_mode

"Privacy mode or "private browsing" or "incognito mode"[1] is a privacy feature in some web browsers to disable browsing history and the web cache. This allows a person to browse the Web without storing local data that could be retrieved at a later date. Privacy mode will also disable the storage of data in cookies and Flash cookies. This privacy protection is only on the local computing device as it is still possible to identify frequented websites by associating the IP address at the web server.[2]"

CTRL + SHIFT + N in Chrome on a PC - Three Little Dots in the top right on Mobile.

Archived