The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Jonathan Drouin, conditional 2018 6th-round pick to Canadiens for Mikhail Sergachev, conditional 2018 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, b3. said:

Lol there is no limit on what Montreal will do; when it comes to acquiring French-Canadian hockey players.

Are you kidding? Mtl won this trade (so far) hands down. Drouin has shown he can play at an elite level in the NHL consistently and in the playoffs. Sergachev hasn't even shown he can crack the NHL yet. Good as he may become, a trade with Philly for someone more proven like Provorov would have been more apples to apples in my view. 

More risk on Tampa's side here

7 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

So if Sergachev plays half the season with Tampa next season, it's a straight one on one deal. wow

I don't think he plays next season. I think Koekkoek plays before serg. 

Still have Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Coburn, Sustr, DeAngelo

Just now, DoughtysCheck said:

I don't think he plays next season. I think Koekkoek plays before serg. 

Still have Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Coburn, Sustr, DeAngelo

I personally don't see him playing either, at most I think they will give him the 9 games.

Unless he absolutely blows everyone out of the water.

8 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Actually probably not. Mtl is in win NOW stage. You have a veteran group of offensive forwards (excluding Drouin), Weber, Markov, and of course Price, these are not young bucks anymore. Tanev is one of the top 5 defensive RD in the league, he solidifies their second pairing, and his value is very high as he's only 26 (Galy is only 3 years younger).

It is a trade thats actually very plausible give the market for a D like Tanev

Drouin has proven he has elite potential in the NHL, and he got traded for a Dman with only 'potential' - Tanev is a PROVEN top 2 dman in the league, think about apples to apples here. Relative to Sergachev clearly Tanev should be able to command ALOT higher actually. 

This trade is good because it shows fans what Tanev's true value is when a "prospect" gets you Drouin. Perhaps people will realize JB knows what he's doing.

Agree with Montreal being in a win now stage while Price is still in his prime. Sergachev probably takes 2-3 years to make an impact so good on the Habs for this trade. TB have players like Point, Namestenkinov, Brown that can move up and down the lineup. 

Disagree with Tanev being a proven top 2 d man in the league. Tanev has hit his point, he won't go any higher. On a stanley cup contending team, he is a #3 at best, probably suited best for the #4 role. He is a one dimensional defensive defensemen. A top 2 like Weber, Subban, Karlsson, Burns, Hedman, Keith, Ristolainen, Pietreangelo controls play on both ends of the ice. If you put Tanev in the same sentence as them, you're delusional 

8 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Actually probably not. Mtl is in win NOW stage. You have a veteran group of offensive forwards (excluding Drouin), Weber, Markov, and of course Price, these are not young bucks anymore. Tanev is one of the top 5 defensive RD in the league, he solidifies their second pairing, and his value is very high as he's only 26 (Galy is only 3 years younger).

It is a trade thats actually very plausible give the market for a D like Tanev

Drouin has proven he has elite potential in the NHL, and he got traded for a Dman with only 'potential' - Tanev is a PROVEN top 2 dman in the league, think about apples to apples here. Relative to Sergachev clearly Tanev should be able to command ALOT higher actually. 

This trade is good because it shows fans what Tanev's true value is when a "prospect" gets you Drouin. Perhaps people will realize JB knows what he's doing.

I'm not so sure Tanev and Sergachev are comparable, other than that they both play D. Tanev will be of interest to teams that need immediate help and have cap space available. Sergachev would be of interest to a team that doesn't have cap space and/or is not trying to compete right now. That's not to say that their potential returns in a trade can't be similar, but it's not apples to apples. Most teams would want one over the other.

Nice work Stevie Y.  That's far more than I would have paid for Drouin - and fills a primary need for Tampa moving forward as well as likely enabling them to retain Namestnikov.   if they get that 2nd in addition, it's a great move for Yzerman under the circumstances.

Huge win for Tampa imo.

Just now, captainhorvat said:

"Why couldnt benning aquire him for joulevi" whiners will be out in full force in 3 2 1........

But good trade for habs.

its possible OJ was not enough to get it done. Last year while waiting tables I talked to a Predators scout in town for a golf tourney right before the draft. I asked him who the canucks should take and he said Tkachuk. I asked who he liked better between OJ and MS and he said MS.

1 minute ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Agree with Montreal being in a win now stage while Price is still in his prime. Sergachev probably takes 2-3 years to make an impact so good on the Habs for this trade. TB have players like Point, Namestenkinov, Brown that can move up and down the lineup. 

Disagree with Tanev being a proven top 2 d man in the league. Tanev has hit his point, he won't go any higher. On a stanley cup contending team, he is a #3 at best, probably suited best for the #4 role. He is a one dimensional defensive defensemen. A top 2 like Weber, Subban, Karlsson, Burns, Hedman, Keith, Ristolainen, Pietreangelo controls play on both ends of the ice. If you put Tanev in the same sentence as them, you're delusional 

Those are all number 1's. A player like Tanev allows that #1 to play very offensively. I am not delusional. His numbers show he is a top 5 defensive dman in the NHL in the ENTIRE league.

That is not a #3 - that is the perfect partner to an offensive Number 1. Anyone who understands hockey 'gets' that. I never said number one I said top 2 (you can argue semantics that top 2 means a number 1 as well, but everyone here but you understood the point, argumentative annie)

Drouins stats this past season were very similar to Horvat. I'm sure Drouin probably has a higher ceiling but why does it seem like he's considered so much better than Horvat? Drouin has shown attitude with his contract hold out, while Horvat is showing himself to be consummate captain material.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not so sure Tanev and Sergachev are comparable, other than that they both play D. Tanev will be of interest to teams that need immediate help and have cap space available. Sergachev would be of interest to a team that doesn't have cap space and/or is not trying to compete right now. That's not to say that their potential returns in a trade can't be similar, but it's not apples to apples. Most teams would want one over the other.

I don't think you really read my post very carefully

Archived