The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dion Phaneuf has submitted his 12 team list

I can't see him having a ton of trade value to a contending team due to that contract. He's actually a pretty solid top 4 if you look past that though. What about Buffalo. They are real thin on the left, he would likely be their top left handed D man. I know they were probably looking for younger defensemen but it could be a fit to help shelter the young offense.

Phaneuf is still a decent top 4 defenceman for any team needing one that can throw the body, chip in on the scoresheet, and be a calming presence in the backend. I doubt he gets traded, but if there's a team in need of a defenceman who's good in his own zone and good all around ability, there's going to be a team willing to pay 

20 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'd swap Eriksson for him then flip Tanev for an upgrade at fwd.

Phaneuf is the greatest of all time scapegoat as well. He is a lightning rod of criticism, will help protect the kids. ^_^

The biggest problem is that whoever trades for him also has to protect him for the expansion draft. So which team can both 1) take his salary, and 2) not worry about who will be exposed by acquiring him?

If one of the teams he identified is rebuilding, and Ottawa was throwing in a young asset or pick(s), then I imagine they'd consider it. But I suspect Phaneuf would be identifying teams with a shot at winning, which means they should already have 3 solid D-men they need to protect.

If it's Edmonton, Ottawa will not be gunning for Eberle. It will be Nuge. They need a top 6 center. Pageau, Turris, and Brassard for their top 9? They are basically 3 2nd line centermen with not enough creativity to put them over the top. Whether Nuge fits that bill or not, it's still worth a try if they got Phaneuf going the other way.

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

How about Dion for Loui package?

Oh... why not? Essentially we are trading a bad contract for another one. At least we could use some help on the defense and I honestly think he is pretty decent. Overpriced but decent

Phaneuf might be the most overrated dman in the last 10 years, but he can still do a lot of things right. 

He is probably the best open ice hitter in the game, big shot (misses net a lot) and can play both sides. More comfortable on the right side. 

Id do eriksson for phaneuf straight up, but that would mean the Canucks would be admitting a mistake and that won't happen

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Phagoof is a better deal than Loui. Ottawa should demand more

It's pretty close... 5 years 6 mill AAV for Loui... 4 years 7mill AAV for Dion... tough to argue which the worse deal is. Based on last years play, it's certainly Loui's but things can change.

I think Loui would waive for Ottawa just since EK is there.

Archived