The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could take 5 former Canucks to back you up in a bar fight...Who would they be?

DontTouchMeGuys

well first off would not be in a bar fighting that is childish  but if had to pick 5 would be

In their prime as fighters

Williams  (Tiger)  best fighter ever holds the NHL record for penalty minutes and one of my all time favorite canucks

Gino

Rypien

Brashear

Guddy

would have added Bieksa but these 5 are better he would be 6

Dave Babych cuz he would bring his 4 or 5 brothers and they were all tougher than him (according to him).  I once met them at Carlo's and Bud's (along with Trev and Marty and a dozen others) and the one brother (I forget his name) was shorter than Dave but almost twice as big, black leather jacket, huge mustache, seemed like a nice guy (and I wasn't there to argue).

Gino.

Kurt (enbach and Fraser).

Hair-Old.

Chief. 

Cox.

Brash (if it wasn't for Domi calling him out for lack of power).

Rip (pound-for-pound the best, but, well, you know that).

Shark (Hunter).

Dirk.

Diduck.

Tiger.

Dr. Hook.

Neely.

McIlhargey.

What fun, tryin' to 'member all my faves.

Top 5 for me?

Gino.

Harold.

Fraser.

Brash.

Rip.

On or off the ice.

In the rink or behind the rink.

In the bar or out in the parking lot (where the Babych Brothers just showed up).

This reminds me of another time, a few decades ago, when we weren't living in this grandmothers' society where you gotta put on a helmet to ride your bike.

Anyway, rant aside, I got in a wee tilt with a taxi driver outside the No. 5 Orange, and before you could say McIlhargey, a dozen taxis converged on the parking lot like seagulls to a gut pile.  Barely got out of there alive.

There used to huge fights in the parking lots, usually started inside with the bouncers rounding everyone up like cattle and forcing them outside, the cops would show up and wait for everybody to punch themselves out a bit.  One time at the "O" in North Van, this guy came in on crutches and walked up to a booth where some stud had a couple babes on each side and more droogs at each end of the booth and across the table.  This crutch guy came in demanding revenge from the guy but the guy was laughing it off.

So the guy leans over the table and just drills the chick next to him right in the gob.  It was on, big time.  One guy hid a pool ball in his fist, and when his opponent ignored the jab cuz it couldn't get there, he opened his hand and the cue ball took out top chicklets and twanged his nose but good.

Some of the bouncers down at the Coach House (old name of hotel by 2nd Narrows - oops - Iron Workers bridge) were BC Lions, Nick "Orange Shoes" Hebler, Wilson, and others I have forgotten.  Big guys, fun attitude, kept the place cool even in the midst of the big biker gang wars of the day.  It was always neat to talk with these guys about just about anything.

Another time (and if you're still reading this, you probably don't mind too, too much) up-Island at the pub in Port Alice, where I was working, we had a chalk board for the very busy pool table.  Put your name up, pay for the game, side bets encouraged, and see if you could unseat the last winners.  Remember "holding the table"?  Well, this bar was very busy on weekend nights and the pool table was front and center.  Sometimes the board would just be crammed with names and you only dared erase anyone's name if you were sure they had left and weren't coming back.  Well a half-dozen or so BC Lions came in, all linemen from the look of them, and walked over and swiped/erased the whole board and ripped the cues out of the players hands.  I don't remember much after that.

Ok, I'm out.  Thanks for the thread.

thought i would mix it up with some old and some new.

Gino 

Brash

Hunter

Ripper

Tryamkin   ( he would be the newbie going and getting drinks for the vets  - doesn't get to drink and has to drive us all home in the mini van  ) 

26 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Brashear

Coxe

Fraser

Odjick

Rypien

Honourable Mention

Bieksa for the superman punch and Prust for his amazing fights with Rypper.  

Watch Coxe vs Probert fights and then keep him off your list!

Yeah, I'd have to give Coxe, honorable mention on my list at the very least. Plus 1

Archived