The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could take 5 former Canucks to back you up in a bar fight...Who would they be?

DontTouchMeGuys

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

well first off would not be in a bar fighting that is childish  but if had to pick 5 would be

In their prime as fighters

Williams  (Tiger)  best fighter ever holds the NHL record for penalty minutes and one of my all time favorite canucks

Gino

Rypien

Brashear

Guddy

would have added Bieksa but these 5 are better he would be 6

He was fun to watch, but holding the record for most penalty minutes, doesn't make him the best fighter in the NHL, ever. That honor may very well have belonged to Gordie Howe (RIP)

17 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Rick Rypien

Gino Odjick

Scott Walker

Garth Butcher

Enrico Ciccone - I can't stress how sweet of a name this is.

Enrico Ciccone.  Actually saw this guy twice live although his time with is was short.  Huge and impossing.

My list as follows:

1. Brashear, hands down our best fighter and he has size too. Handled aging Probert and McSorely every time, and smacked Sandman and Boogaard around later in his career.

2. Gino.  If things get bad he would take the whole bar on.

3. Cox.  No matter what Detroit fans say he held in there and got the draw in each epic in his prime Probert fight.  Best hockey fights ever. Ranked 10 on hockeyfights.co

4. Antoski.  Huge. Impossing.  And took on the biggest bad men Gino shied away from.

5. Kurtenbauch.  This throwback earned his living when bench brawls and guys would just about do anything to each other on a regular basis.

Honarable mentions Rypien,Walker and Keane.  Keane in particular had a pedigree of mass destruction coming out of junior the most feared fighter in the circuit, arguably the greatest middle weight all time.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Rick Rypien

Gino Odjick

Scott Walker

Garth Butcher

Enrico Ciccone - I can't stress how sweet of a name this is.

Finally Garth showed up someone's list.

I say;

Troy Crowder (short time Canuck but he did K.O. Bob back in the day)

Garth Butcher (a real warrior)

Gino (no explanation required)

Tim Hunter (has guts)

Dan Cloutier (I think he's a little bit crazy when his competitive juices start to flow.........)

Honourable mention to Craig Coxe

Some other tough guys I would stay away from include Brashear who was tough but then started to think he was a hockey player and Bieksa who is tough but seems like a bit of an opportunist.

To support having Fraser on my list, and since a number of you may not have been around to watch him play, I give you the following for your viewing enjoyment;

Fraser vs Farrish

Fraser vs Wilson:

Can't find a link to Plett vs Fraser from 1982 playoffs, but that match up was awesome!

In no particular order:

- Gino

- Rick

- Bieksa 

- Williams

- Bertuzzi

Who I wouldn't take:

- Salo, gets injured too much

- Wellwood - probably go looking for the fridge

- Megna - probably go looking for Willie (It's a joke..)

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

He was fun to watch, but holding the record for most penalty minutes, doesn't make him the best fighter in the NHL, ever. That honor may very well have belonged to Gordie Howe (RIP)

Tiger had heart but he was far from the best fighter ever, in fact probably wouldn't make the top fifty.  The enforcers of the late 80s all the way to early 2000s got bigger and bigger.  Boogaard.  Big Mac. Scott Parker. Tony Twist. Sandman. Worrel ( average fighter).  Chris Simon.  Grimson.  Tiger was average size for his time, but the guys kept getting bigger and bigger to the point a 6 3 225 lb Probert / Brashear size enforcer was common place, and you had Laraque and other monsters becoming the new heavyweight champs.   

Phillies guys ran rampant over the league in the 70's intimidating everyone including the Habs.  That is until Larry Robinson arrived and proceeded to decimate Shultz and co with his bigger frame.   

I would put Tiger in the same realm of fighting ability as Brad May.  

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tiger had heart but he was far from the best fighter ever, in fact probably wouldn't make the top fifty.  The enforcers of the late 80s all the way to early 2000s got bigger and bigger.  Boogaard.  Big Mac. Scott Parker. Tony Twist. Sandman. Worrel ( average fighter).  Chris Simon.  Grimson.  Tiger was average size for his time, but the guys kept getting bigger and bigger to the point a 6 3 225 lb Probert / Brashear size enforcer was common place, and you had Laraque and other monsters becoming the new heavyweight champs.   

Phillies guys ran rampant over the league in the 70's intimidating everyone including the Habs.  That is until Larry Robinson arrived and proceeded to decimate Shultz and co with his bigger frame.   

I would out Tiger in the same realm of fighting ability as Brad May.  

Yeah, but he's nuts.  In a bar fight, nuts usually beats tough.

Let's laugh/talk our way outa' this people! (Ima' lover, notta' brawler!)

Petro Shreiko

lil' Cliff Ronning

Darcy Rota/Ryan Walter(Bible quotes & calming wisdom)

Hen Button(Smiley will diffuse the nuclear option with charm)

Eddie Lack ^ see Button

My you people are violent :^)

1. Gino - no explanation required

2. Craig Coxe - Many here wont remember him but a pure goon, and took on probert a number of times and stood his ground youtube those fights

3. Rypien - Never backed down and pound for pound no one better - junkyard dog

4. Tiger Williams - Tiger just nuts

5. Cam Neely - Underappreciated in how he dominated in fights because he was such a great scorer. No body messed with him after his first few years in the league, he raggdolled people

Archived