The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Another Van - Dal Trade Proposal

Time to beat a dead horse a little bit, with some else added on top that will free up more space to let the kids play:

To Vancouver:

3rd Overall

Kari Lehtonen

Conditional 1st 2018 (becomes a 2nd if Dallas does not make the playoffs)

To Dallas:

Chris Tanev

Loui Eriksson (1.5 Million Retained)

Canucks 4th Round Pick 2017

Why Dallas does this? I won't go into Tanev, we all know the reason there. Kari Lehtonen is the bigger cap dump, so they get to lose him. They get Eriksson - a forward that Dallas is very familiar with. Yes, he had a down year last year. However, he adds offence and, perhaps more importantly for Dallas, he's responsible defensively. It makes Dallas more competitive and Eriksson at 4.5 Million is probably better than anything they could get out of this year's free agency.

Why the Canucks do this? They won't be competing for the next 5 years, so retaining a portion of Eriksson contract wouldn't be the end of the world during that time. It frees up a spot on the wing for one of our kids to step in and take a top 6 role. Gives us a top pick this year and a decent pick for next year.

10 minutes ago, Canucks1000 said:

Why the Canucks do this? They won't be competing for the next 5 years

I think we will be competing sooner then people think, in 2-3 years i would like to think we are "competing" . 

I can't wait for Loui to come in next year and prove his worth! 

2 hours ago, Canucks1000 said:

T

Why the Canucks do this? They won't be competing for the next 5 years

Really?!   It is easy to turn around things in a pretty big hurry as done by many teams - slow rebuilds like the Oilers was largely due to incompetence.   Sure Canucks could be incompetent too but five years?   If they make some deft moves and see even modest improvement of some players, they can be a playoff team in two years with some regression from some other teams (e.g. cap strapped teams who let their prospect pool languish through back moves) and with three for sure.   Five years seems very excessive and even Edmonton and Toronto, once they got some actual management in place, turned corner quickly in relative turns.   

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Really?!   It is easy to turn around things in a pretty big hurry as done by many teams - slow rebuilds like the Oilers was largely due to incompetence.   Sure Canucks could be incompetent too but five years?   If they make some deft moves and see even modest improvement of some players, they can be a playoff team in two years with some regression from some other teams (e.g. cap strapped teams who let their prospect pool languish through back moves) and with three for sure.   Five years seems very excessive and even Edmonton and Toronto, once they got some actual management in place, turned corner quickly in relative turns.   

Oilers got high picks in crappy drafts.  Then they got McDavid.  

So it's Louuuuuuu x twoooooo

800k Luongo

1.5 Loui

Nostalgia for two Lu's cost us 2.3 millAAV, next half decade.

However, we have a crapload of ELC kids arriving, over that period.

Teams like Nashville & Ottawa have competed just fine, well under the cap.

Also, twins off books soon. Prob still have significant space.

Lastly, no need to protect Loui at ED..open slot for more manoeuvring.

Yeah, I could get behind something like this. How about this variation(forget the Stars 2018 pick)?...

Van: Tanev, Goldobin, Loui(1.2 million retention)

Dallas: Lehtonen, #3 OA pick, Honka

- we retain an even 2 mill(not counting Jannik's 1 yr), of cap for two Lu's

- Get the righty Finn, Honka. Might partner well with OJ?

I like where you went with this, i believe the key is for 2018 conditional 1st pick, which will put them some where at 22. This hinges on if JB can sign a UFA on D to fill in for a year or 2. Remember Van prob loses Sbisa in the expansion draft, and I hope JB takes his time moving Joulievi, up. Make sure he is ready. And for the Oilers, well POOR management is all i can say. Van should be playoff bound in 2 years. If JB finds 2 or 3 more diamonds in the rough.

20 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

I think we will be competing sooner then people think, in 2-3 years i would like to think we are "competing" . 

I can't wait for Loui to come in next year and prove his worth! 

Penguins re-build took 5 years. Would have taken longer but for Crosby and Malkin.

Chicago, 10.

Toronto, 12.

Edmonton, 10.

There's a chance we might make the playoffs in the next 5 years out of pure luck. It's not unheard of. But this team does not have the talent to truly compete. If we get lucky and manage to get two franchise players in back to back drafts then yes, our re-build will likely only take 3 years. We're not getting a franchise player out of this draft.

If we had depth, like Columbus, it would be a different story as well. We wouldn't necessarily need those franchise players to turn it around. But we don't. We have some good pieces, but we need a lot more for this team to come together and with the Sedins either retiring or continuing to drop off it puts us in a worse position.

2 hours ago, Tiger Gino Brash Ryp said:

I would love them to get the # 3 pick but I see this as a more likely scenario. 

To Van

Lehtonen

1st (Ana)

To Dallas 

2nd (clb)

Take 1 year of lehtonens 5mil contract to move a pick up a round. It's not my money lol.

Not likely at all. No trades have ever happened like this.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But would Dallas?

I doubt it.

What if I told you back in Feb, let's get Dahlen for Burr?

"One man's meat, is another's poison."

Who really knows with these things? Speculative entertainment. Avg bloke in Dallas probably doesn't know any of these people exist; whereas some Cdn diehards dream up 20 proposals by breakfast.

15 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What if I told you back in Feb, let's get Dahlen for Burr?

"One man's meat, is another's poison."

Who really knows with these things? Speculative entertainment. Avg bloke in Dallas probably doesn't know any of these people exist; whereas some Cdn diehards dream up 20 proposals by breakfast.

Cdc has way over hyped Dahlen man. This is exactly why so many on this board think these players are suddenly useless because they think every young player we get is a super star.

Look at Baertschi so many said he will be a top line scorer. He has put up 65 points in a 140 games, but a 2nd round pick for him was a steal, remember? I do so many said I was a idiot for questioning this trade. Calgary drafted a pretty good D prospect(Rasmus Andersson)with that pick.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Cdc has way over hyped Dahlen man. This is exactly why so many on this board think these players are suddenly useless because they think every young player we get is a super star.

Look at Baertschi so many said he will be a top line scorer. He has put up 65 points in a 140 games, but a 2nd round pick for him was a steal, remember? I do so many said I was a idiot for questioning this trade. Calgary drafted a decent D prospect(Rasmus Andersson)with that pick.

At the end of the day, opposites attract in the trade-realm. If Dallas thinks today, & we're looking ahead, then biz is possible.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

At the end of the day, opposites attract in the trade-realm. If Dallas thinks today, & we're looking ahead, then biz is possible.

Sure but I don't think they need anymore aging over priced forwards. Just look at their roster. I don't see any teams interested in Loui given the length of his contract.

Archived