The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev to ARZ

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Did you just state assumption as fact?

Two can play that game.

Tanev has another solid year = value increased

4 contending teams at TD have injuries to D = value increased

As it stands today, the ED has done nothing but hurt Tanev's value as VGK has said they are open for business.  = next year has higher value

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-leafs-in-trade-talks-as-deadline-nears-1.784337

UFA market always stays relatively the same every year.  Next year will likely be no different.  = same value

I would wait to trade Tanev at the 2018 TDL too, but then we would likely only get the top Cup level teams wanting in.  That's, likely, only going to get us a late first rounder.  I'm hoping JB can move Tanev at this draft for a top pick or a young center. (Reinhart, Strome, Chucky)

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Did you just state assumption as fact?

Two can play that game.

Tanev has another solid year = value increased

4 contending teams at TD have injuries to D = value increased

As it stands today, the ED has done nothing but hurt Tanev's value as VGK has said they are open for business.  = next year has higher value

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-leafs-in-trade-talks-as-deadline-nears-1.784337

UFA market always stays relatively the same every year.  Next year will likely be no different.  = same value

No not really. NTC does limit your market. That's a fact. Your market is very factually reduced.

Tanev is what he is at this point. Another year more (older) of the same is not going to increase his value. Unless you believe he's all of a sudden going to have a 40+ point year on a rebuilding team...?

And let's look at his injury history:

Last year he missed 29 games. Year before, 13. Before that, 12. Before that, 18. Let's not pretend we can ignore that. I sure wouldn't want to risk him being injured at the TDL when I can get solid value for him after the ED.

After the ED, his value goes up regardless of LGK being 'open for business'.

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld rather move tanev in a deal with buffalo for reinhart. a top line center. 

Unless they can move Bogosian/have LGK take him in the ED, they don't have much need for Tanev.

Hutton + might get you Reinhart but it seems an ill fit for a trade sadly.

3 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

The chance of getting a top 10 pick in next years draft is low, we would have to overpay with Tanev to get a top 10

Yes but there a reason for that,  likely because you're getting better quality players.  Now if we're rebuilding shouldn't the top quality player being the ones we target, even if they come at a higher cost?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Because they need to sell tickets (by winnning games) while keeping costs under control. A $2.95m Tanev and plenty of C depth to cover the loss of Dvorak does that.

It's not about 'contending', they're in desperate need for a top 4, right side D (Tanev) to be competitive., And FYI, Tanev's only 1 year older than OEL.

They've got a bunch of guys on or coming on ELC's and bridge contracts. This their time to make a push at, at least appearing competitive and making the playoffs. Not only as a hockey team but as a business.

Makes no sense. Tanev isn't going to make them a playoff team, nor is he or the few extra wins he might help them get going to make them any extra money. They would have no interest in this trade regardless of how much their GM likes Tanev (presumably).

This is a terrible idea for Arizona and adding a top prospect is way overpayment. Tanev for 7th straight up would be fine even with slight retention.

@J.R. I dunno... its basically Tanev for Mittlestadt. Considering where AZ is their rebuild I think they stand pat.

If we're going to eat salary on Tanev lets do that with Dallas. 

Tanev at 3 million + 55th oa and say swap our 33rd for their 39th should be enough to land us 3rd overall. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

@J.R. I dunno... its basically Tanev for Mittlestadt. Considering where AZ is their rebuild I think they stand pat.

If we're going to eat salary on Tanev lets do that with Dallas. 

Tanev at 3 million + 55th oa and say swap our 33rd for their 39th should be enough to land us 3rd overall. 

No, It's Tanev for Mittel (or Lilegrin/Makar/Necas/Petterson) and Dvorak. And possibly a later pick +/-

Just now, J.R. said:

No, It's Tanev for Mittel (or Lilegrin/Makar/Necas/Petterson) and Dvorak. And possibly a later pick +/-

If AZ is projecting CM as a top C then I just don't see it. But why not retain with Dallas? How the heck are they going to say no to that?

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If AZ is projecting CM as a top C then I just don't see it. But why not retain with Dallas? How the heck are they going to say no to that?

I think the price is likely lower/we get more back from ARZ at 7.

DAL likely wants a premium for the 3rd OA and I don't see the spread as large enough to pay it. Rather get 7 + prospect than just 3rd.

And who say's CM' still there at 7?

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

DAL likely wants a premium for the 3rd OA and I don't see the spread as large enough to pay it. Rather get 7 + prospect than just 3rd.

Sure. I'd offer it to both DAL and AZ and see who bites. I like the idea of Pettersson at 7, the kids a year ahead of where Nylander was at the same age playing in a mens league. A future top 6 of Bo, Glass, Petterson, Boeser, Dahlen and Goldy? Yup. I can't see Makar dropping to 7 but if he did I'd grab him up instead tho. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And who say's CM' still there at 7?

Probably unlikely. IMO I don't think he gets past Colorado if Heiskanen is gone. 

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

To ARZ: Tanev with $1-2m retained (let's say $1.5) for their 7th OA and preferably Dvorak (if not Strome). Maybe we swap our CBJ 2nd and there's as well.

The cap retention and 2nd rounders could be fiddled with to get the deal done.

ARZ gets a much needed top 4 RHD for CHEAP ($2.95m with retention) and Dvorak will be coming off his ELC after this coming season with them having plenty of upcoming C depth. All of the above addressing their very real financial issues and making them an overall far more competitive team.

Their GM's also an analytics guru/Tanev an analytics darling.

We draft Glass at 5 and whoever's left/best of Liljegrin/Makar/Necas/Petterson at 7.

Without Doan and Smith, Arizona will need to get to the floor.

That said, I don't think Arizona would pay that price. 

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Because they need to sell tickets (by winnning games) while keeping costs under control. A $2.95m Tanev and plenty of C depth to cover the loss of Dvorak does that.

It's not about 'contending', they're in desperate need for a top 4, right side D (Tanev) to be competitive., And FYI, Tanev's only 1 year older than OEL.

They've got a bunch of guys on or coming on ELC's and bridge contracts. This their time to make a push at, at least appearing competitive and making the playoffs. Not only as a hockey team but as a business.

This is a good approach. If this franchise doesn't do something to improve how is there financial situation going to get better? 

I honestly think you're asking too much here. Dvorak put up monster points his last two seasons with the Knights and had a very good rookie campaign with the Yotes. No, he doesn't have that first rounder pedigree, but I certainly think it's safe to say that he's more than made up for it with his play since being drafted.

I'd happily move Tanev for Dvorak + their 35th overall.

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Makes no sense. Tanev isn't going to make them a playoff team, nor is he or the few extra wins he might help them get going to make them any extra money. They would have no interest in this trade regardless of how much their GM likes Tanev (presumably).

This is a terrible idea for Arizona and adding a top prospect is way overpayment. Tanev for 7th straight up would be fine even with slight retention.

Tanev for the 7th overall pick alone is an overpayment, for a rebuilding team.

Tanev return price is immensely overvalued amongst our fans. Unless some team overpay us, ala Edmonton with Larsson, I highly doubt Tanev's return will be anything more than a mid-teen first round pick, and two decent prospects.

I still say Toronto would be our best trading partner and would garner the most return for him. Something along the lines of; their first round pick (17th), Brendan Leispic, and Andrew Nielsen. Both whom, could step into our line-up next year.

Archived