The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We're going to watch this guy go head to head, in faceoffs and fighting in battles along the boards against a much bigger Glass and Vilardi. Oh boy good luck kid, hopefully he can pack some weight on. Never caused Backstrom or Datsyuk a problem but they really filled out in their 20s.

No doubt he's one of the most skilled players in this draft but the last time we saw skinny Swedes try to play defence against stronger two-way centers was the 2011 SCF...

I think this summarises my concern.  I love the Sedins, and what they have done, but the passive culture BS has been humiliating - as a fan - to endure.  Honestly, I loved the 94 team more than the 2011 team because in 94 they can beat you any way you wanted to play.   I was hoping for a change from the soft passive culture.  What is done is done, ill be cheering for Pettersson all the way, but geeze 160lbs....might fill out to 185?  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

i dont want to be rude deb, but the international game is different. Bigger ice softer smaller players. try doing that threw a guy llike getslaf or doughty hard to do that in the nhl

By the time he gets to the NHL he will likely have filled out, plus if he plays for Utica that'll help

50 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yes but look at where everyone else has him ranked - as low as 15th overall. Another case of taking a high risk high reward pick with a top-5 pick. Vilardi and Glass are safe bets - you know you're getting a top-6 big strong playmaking center. Petterson could end up being the next Datsyuk/Henrik Sedin, or he could end up being too skinny, never produce in the NHL and thrown into the AHL for a few years before going back to Sweden.

Last time we went with a high-risk high-reward pick we took Virtanen who could have been the next Lucic, or Torres. We know which way that's heading.

Time will tell. If I were JB I would have made the safe pick but here we are.

whatever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

i dont want to be rude deb, but the international game is different. Bigger ice softer smaller players. try doing that threw a guy llike getslaf or doughty hard to do that in the nhl

Speed and agility can offset that ... the game is going that way more and more.  A reminder that neither of those guys won the cup this year...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That was my biggest concern as well.  Genetically he has a pretty small frame despite his height.  Combined with problems putting on weight there's some risk if the West keeps its physical reputation.

Doughty, Hamilton, Chycrun, Nurse...BYfuglien or anyone on the Jets' blueline hits him it's over.  He won't be able to dance the smaller ice surface the same way.

Kinda get the feeling that this pick is going to enrage people VERY quickly knowing his comparables are all in the division

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think many more wanted Glass, including me.

I can see why people wanted Glass. But I wanted Petterson right from the beginning because I see him as a 1st line playmaking center. Also, my ranking was Petterson, Vilardi, Glass. Petterson and Vilardi makes the players around them better. Glass is a good player but doesn't have the quality to make players around him better; at least in my opinion.