The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Edmonton is going to trade for him, they have tons of cap space and need scoring, and Kane's the best upcoming UFA on the board. 

But you never know, we may get him in free agency. Pettersson will need someone like this on his line. Despite what others are saying players still need "protection". 

Jimmy, as you say, Edmonton really does have a ton of cap space for TDL acquisitions this year but can they afford to sign a player of Kane's ilk as more than just a rental? They have roughly $10M in cap space right now but that will all be absorbed by McDavid next year when his new contract kicks in. They will also need to sign RFA's such as Nurse and others that will increase their overall payroll. IMHO adding a Kane (or similar player) would really put them in cap hell for next year so to me he would be just added as a rental. Would they really want to part with a 1st round pick or a Pool Party to acquire a significant player just for a playoff run while mortgaging their future?

Personally, I think it more likely that we would end up with Kane.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

We've got Gadjovich, Labate, MacEwan who i've been really high on since we've signed him last year, and to some extent Lind (although he's more of a pest). Gaudette has some Ryan Kesler in him with his douchebag cele's and cockiness in some of the college games I've watched. Virtanen's no pushover either. 

The idea of Gaudette playing with Pettersson gives me chills. It wouldn't really matter who the third member of that line would be. 

14 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The kid is on fire, almost too good to be true.  I ll admit that I questioned the pick when it was made because we were inundated with positive reports about guys like Glass and Vilardi from the media.  Would anyone trade this kid for Glass right now?  

Edited by Darius71

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Jimmy, as you say, Edmonton really does have a ton of cap space for TDL acquisitions this year but can they afford to sign a player of Kane's ilk as more than just a rental? They have roughly $10M in cap space right now but that will all be absorbed by McDavid next year when his new contract kicks in. They will also need to sign RFA's such as Nurse and others that will increase their overall payroll. IMHO adding a Kane (or similar player) would really put them in cap hell for next year so to me he would be just added as a rental. Would they really want to part with a 1st round pick or a Pool Party to acquire a significant player just for a playoff run while mortgaging their future?

Personally, I think it more likely that we would end up with Kane.

agreed, for a UFA contract next summer. But I do think Edmonton is desperate for secondary scoring. McD has shown he needs Leon to make that top line work, thats not how it was supposed to be, LD was supposed to be running scoring line #2. 

I like the situation we are in. Bo has proven he can be a very good #2C now, and he can run a secondary scoring line so we're not going to have to throw all of our best resources onto a line with Pettersson to have a great top 6. 

• Upvote 1

I've been following all of our prospects as I usually do - for more years now than I care to admit. ;) To me, it's one of the most enjoyable (and frustrating) things about being a fan. And when a guy like EP is part of the Canuck's fold...you cannot but help feel the stirrings of HOPE.

Now clearly, what the kid is doing is amazing. The only thing I really need to see is how is his current game would translate on the smaller ice surfaces of North America. I've seen it mentioned on certain other forums that his performance on small ice has exhibited some struggles. 

Another thing....the chance that we have a star prospect with EP has eased the sting that the Canucks may not be bad enough to have a crack at Rasmus Dahlin. I am convinced that with THAT kid, we would be on our way to great things. But with Elias (and others) we may be anyway.

40 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I kinda agree with this point of view too.  There is a video on youtube showing how guys like Bolland abused the Sedins at will, nobody really did anything.  That was a few years ago and I still find it embarrassing.  It also angers me that the twins never really pushed back and that management did not address the situation.  They just took the abuse.

Remember, this was a directive from coaching and management -- "whistle-to-whistle."  It's not that the Canucks didn't have the players to push back, but of course the Sedins wouldn't do it regardless.  It would have worked just fine and we'd have a cup, except the powerplay died in the finals and they couldn't score.

Intimidation is a big part of hockey.  Look at what happened in Detroit vs Calgary.  I think that whole thing unfolded because the previous time the teams played Brouwer took some liberties on Applekaider (cant spell his name) during a fight  and Detroit did not forget.  Next game they dressed Witkowski and he went after Ferland right away.  Ferland chickened out and Witkowski ran around the whole game.  When he fought Kulak he did not letup when the two went to the ice - he took liberties.  It was a clear message IMHO.

Nothing new there -- Ferklund and Tkachuk are NOT toughguys, they are just agitators.  Remember how Anaheim addressed Ferk right away in 2015.  Once they are forced to fight and get their clock cleaned, or it's made clear to them that their antics will not be tolerated, they simmer down and are forced to just play hockey.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats so true. I wonder how many broken hearts McDivey will leave in Edmonton? No really Evander, this time its you :lol:

Admittedly, Kane-McDavid-Draisaitl is a terrifying line. Hopefully he comes home instead.

5 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

The kid is on fire, almost too good to be true.  I ll admit that I questioned the pick when it was made because we were inundated with positive reports about guys like Glass and Vilardi from the media.  Would anyone trade this kid for Glass right now?  

Or, would you take:

Pettersson (5) and Lind (33)

or

Glass (6) and Suzuki (13) (or Brannstrom (15) or Hague (34))

6 minutes ago, Guile said:

Admittedly, Kane-McDavid-Draisaitl is a terrifying line. Hopefully he comes home instead.

yah that could go deep, or provide a 2nd scoring line for Edmonton which is just as valuable. I do think Edmonton will make a strong bid for him as a rental, and like others have pointed out we probably have a very good chance of getting him long term. I'd almost be OK with us trading for Kane just to keep him away from Edmonton tho :lol: but I'd rather keep the picks

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah that could go deep, or provide a 2nd scoring line for Edmonton which is just as valuable. I do think Edmonton will make a strong bid for him as a rental, and like others have pointed out we probably have a very good chance of getting him long term. I'd almost be OK with us trading for Kane just to keep him away from Edmonton tho :lol: but I'd rather keep the picks

Oilers are not contenders this year, with or without Kane.  ChiaPet has a whole lot of work to do on next year's roster.

https://capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Maybe we could get him in a trade without giving up any high picks. Would a Hutton, Goldobin and a 3rd be more enticing than a 1st from Edmonton? Of course you would only make this deal if you had a sign and trade to ensure you have cost certainty and term.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Maybe we could get him in a trade without giving up any high picks. Would a Hutton, Goldobin and a 3rd be more enticing than a 1st from Edmonton? Of course you would only make this deal if you had a sign and trade to ensure you have cost certainty and term.

I'd be OK with moving Hutton, but I'd sure like to see what EP and Goldy look like, might give goalies a stroke dealing with that. I'm also hoping we get to see Jake on the LW sometime this year too, I think that gives us more options for an EP line. 

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Nooo that's the point, we don't need to make a trade. If he wants to come home and sign in FA, wonderful. If not, that's fine, and I don't think it's a big deal if we lose him. By the time we're really pushing our young stars into the lineup and having them contribute (2-3 yrs), we'll have plenty of opportunity to address that top 6 LW spot or may find a player within the org.But trading Hutton and/or Goldy does not make sense IMO, both because we don't need to give up assets and because they're both growing as players. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Guile said:

Nooo that's the point, we don't need to make a trade. If he wants to come home and sign in FA, wonderful. If not, that's fine, and I don't think it's a big deal if we lose him. By the time we're really pushing our young stars into the lineup and having them contribute (2-3 yrs), we'll have plenty of opportunity to address that top 6 LW spot or may find a player within the org.But trading Hutton and/or Goldy does not make sense IMO, both because we don't need to give up assets and because they're both growing as players. 

Simple -- ask Sabres for permission to talk with Kane and his agent about an extension, see what his intentions are if he hits UFA.  If he's uber-keen on joining the Canucks, wait until the summer.  If he's uncertain but would resign if traded for, then and ONLY then offer assets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Simple -- ask Sabres for permission to talk with Kane and his agent about an extension, see what his intentions are if he hits UFA.  If he's uber-keen on joining the Canucks, wait until the summer.  If he's uncertain but would resign if traded for, then and ONLY then offer assets.

And buffalo would just let us talk to him for free eh

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Good luck with that

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Would be something to see him in the Olympics!

Just talked with #Canucks prospect Elias Pettersson in Sweden about racking up the points, being tied for 1st in SHL scoring as a rookie and the Olympics.

Pettersson on being on the Swedish Olympic radar, "I am surprised, I sent my info to them a few weeks back. Would be dream come true to play in the Olympics for your country."

Pettersson on if he is surprised at his point production as a 1st year player, "Yes I am surprised, it is a tough league but things are going well for me."

Pettersson are being tied for the SHL scoring lead : "Very cool, I try my best every game. I play on a great team with great coaching, the bunces are going my way lately."

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1