The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I don't think it's a bad idea to have Pettersson play a year in Utica before joining the Canucks, only to get him used to the bigger ice. But if he comes into camp next year with an extra 20 lbs on him and he starts sniping right away in preseason, I'm not sure how you wouldn't put him on the team (like Horvat, Boeser and Stecher). They won't rush him though. He's going to be a star.

• Cheers 1

Certainly is looking extremely promising for the Canucks. Petersson is destroying that league and should be a top player in the NHL's regular season. Hopefully Virtanen or one of the other big boys can play with him for playoff runs.

He should be able to make/play on the team next year, but do the Nucks want to burn a year of his contract and have him showcase his talent near the end of this year if he is available? Or even next year with the CBA expiring and the possible hockey stoppage?

Gradin certainly earned his promotion finding this kid and Tryamkin.

Edited by TheGuardian_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think it's a bad idea to have Pettersson play a year in Utica before joining the Canucks, only to get him used to the bigger ice. But if he comes into camp next year with an extra 20 lbs on him and he starts sniping right away in preseason, I'm not sure how you wouldn't put him on the team (like Horvat, Boeser and Stecher). They won't rush him though. He's going to be a star.

We will be able to see him on the smaller ice at the world juniors though, at Buffalo this year http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/

I did have a thought though (and yes it was painful) Is it a foregone conclusion that Vaxjo will lend him to the Swedish team? He is a huge part of their offense as the leagues top scorer. I wouldn't think there would be any hesitation from these Swedish teams to have these kids rep their country, but I was curious if it was the same as kids and their NHL teams.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I keep in touch with people who still follow the SEL pretty closely.   They don't agree with the Forsberg comparisons but do think he reminds them a lot of Patrick Kane even though they have slightly different body types and skating styles.   A direct quote from one of them "his vision is amazing, watching him live he does something I only see Kane in NHL doing and that is never having head looking at puck, he always is looking around him while doing magic with puck/stick - it is like he doesn't have to think about stick work and that is what makes him so amazing".    I asked if any of them thought he was doing as well as Nylander did a few years ago and all were amazed by question saying "he is far beyond that, not even close.  Nylander was fine and put up points but not dominant like Elias and not nearly as good in leading the team".    

For what it is worth.

That's fantastic praise, Rob.  His stick work and vision are out of this world.  I'm still stunned by those one-timers as well.  The kids hand/eye coordination is outstanding.

The fact that he's able to do the stick/puck magic while looking around the ice will also bode well for avoiding hits.  Kane doesn't get hit much (other than a suspension worth cross check that breaks his collar bone).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Try to think of it as more of Deja vu of when everybody (except me) was saying that Horvat needed time in the AHL or when most people (except me) were saying that Boeser needed time in the AHL...Jake just doesn't have the hockey sense of the other 3 guys and that was evident from year 0 with us...

I finally stopped saying "Boeser may never play a single AHL game because he's NHL-ready now" because certain people had their blinders on and cookie-cutter development path locked into their minds, ny insisting Utica was the best place for him and the team.  And yeah, we'll hear the same said about Gaudette 6 months from now.  Not the same skill level as Brock, but brings an A-level motor and two-way game that won't be denied.

So yeah, buckle up -- we'll be going through this again all next summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I keep in touch with people who still follow the SEL pretty closely.   They don't agree with the Forsberg comparisons but do think he reminds them a lot of Patrick Kane even though they have slightly different body types and skating styles.   A direct quote from one of them "his vision is amazing, watching him live he does something I only see Kane in NHL doing and that is never having head looking at puck, he always is looking around him while doing magic with puck/stick - it is like he doesn't have to think about stick work and that is what makes him so amazing".    I asked if any of them thought he was doing as well as Nylander did a few years ago and all were amazed by question saying "he is far beyond that, not even close.  Nylander was fine and put up points but not dominant like Elias and not nearly as good in leading the team".    

For what it is worth.

Thanks Rob... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth.

Interesting about the Nylander comparison. Over on HFboards there are some posters who religiously watch and go to SHL games that were saying that what Nylander did last year was much more impressive than what Pettersson is doing this year just due to the quality of the teams. Nylander basically carried that team on his back, he took a $&!# team into the playoffs. The year after he left they were relegated I think, while Vaxjo is a powerhouse and Pettersson has lots of talent around him. Interesting to hear that these guys think the exact opposite

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I finally stopped saying "Boeser may never play a single AHL game because he's NHL-ready now" because certain people had their blinders on and cookie-cutter development path locked into their minds, ny insisting Utica was the best place for him and the team.  And yeah, we'll hear the same said about Gaudette 6 months from now.  Not the same skill level as Brock, but brings an A-level motor and two-way game that won't be denied.

So yeah, buckle up -- we'll be going through this again all next summer.

When you have seen enough young talent for this org not meet their potential it is OK to be cautious. IMO a lot of fans saw Horvat beat the odds and made assumptions that Boeser could do the same. By all appearances after 25 games they were right. As a solid approach I will always opt for a half season in the AHL to start a career. If Boeser had gone that route I doubt anyone would have said he was less of a player for the experience. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth.

Thanks for your input. (!!!)

Be interesting to hear their feedback on the next tier of young SELérs. Lias Anderson, Brannstrom & Heskainen who some are just as high as we are on EP? 

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Thanks for your input. (!!!)

Be interesting to hear their feedback on the next tier of young SELérs. Lias Anderson, Brannstrom & Heskainen who some are just as high as we are on EP? 

Can only comment on Heskainen as they talked about him (not others but I will remember to ask when we Skype next) and said rough in spots but clearly oozes potential and has poise which is key for the position.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Interesting about the Nylander comparison. Over on HFboards there are some posters who religiously watch and go to SHL games that were saying that what Nylander did last year was much more impressive than what Pettersson is doing this year just due to the quality of the teams. Nylander basically carried that team on his back, he took a $&!# team into the playoffs. The year after he left they were relegated I think, while Vaxjo is a powerhouse and Pettersson has lots of talent around him. Interesting to hear that these guys think the exact opposite

When it comes to canuck prospect, never listen to the opinion of the members over there.  I’ve never read more bs in my life and oooooooff course pettersson is nowhere in nylandes tier.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Those are really positive comments Rob, thanks for posting. I've been enjoying bouncing to and from Boeser and Pettersson threads on here lol  It's great the Canucks have some good news stories these days, the last few years have been rough watching the Sedins deteriorate (okay, maybe regress is a better word). But even so, they're holding their own this year. Not carrying the team, but good in a support role. They just need to make $4-5 million less. Pettersson sounds like a real gem and maybe years from now we'll all be saying he should've gone #2, while Vilardi struggles to stick lol. I can't imagine what kind of damage Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson could do on a line. Could turn out to be the league's best line.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

My take on Nylander has always been similar to that of his daddy -- a guy who will definitely put up points, but isn't necessarily a driver or leader on the ice.  Doesn't mean William will turn out the same, but that's just my early impression.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

When you have seen enough young talent for this org not meet their potential it is OK to be cautious. IMO a lot of fans saw Horvat beat the odds and made assumptions that Boeser could do the same. By all appearances after 25 games they were right. As a solid approach I will always opt for a half season in the AHL to start a career. If Boeser had gone that route I doubt anyone would have said he was less of a player for the experience. 

Oh no doubt, I went through all the Rick Blight, Moe Lemay, JM Lanthier days too, so disappointment in prospects is nothing new.  But from his first season at ND it was clear Brock was different.  Not just putting up numbers, he was driving the play and clearly had high-end hockey IQ.  He was a can't-miss prospect who would have likely made the Canucks a year earlier because he already had NHL game.  The way they brought him in last Spring with all the fanfare and the fact the team is drastically goal-starved meant there was literally no way he was going to Utica.

Likewise, Gaudette and Pettersson have NHL-calibre game, right NOW.  No they aren't finished products but Gaudette minimally will make this team and be a staple on it once he arrives.  Pettersson we will have to wait and see how he does to finish the year, through the summer and into camp but he's got a very good shot at sticking, especially if the Canucks are sans Henrik.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Forsberg had a power game. He was so dominant physically in the corners and in board battles. It was amazing to watch him play. He was just as skilled as powerful. 

Pettersson does not have Forsbergs game. He's a skill player not a power forward with skill. Pettersson doesn't have the toughness and physicality Forsberg had. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1