The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's Nylander all over again!  Why doesn't JB learn -- he only wants meat and potatoes, meanwhile other smart GMs like Lou and now Gorton are drafting high skill.  Look how the NYR were even willing to trade up just to get Pettersson.  Benning had Petterson on the board but just like Juolevi and Virtanen he blew yet another top pick... and you blind homers say he's so great at drafting.

I am guessing this is sarcasm?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Grape said:

TBH I doubt that. I feel like most people would have been on board with Glass, even knowing that Pettersson was killing it. People would've made excuses to downplay Pettersson's achievements and whatnot.

That being said I honestly would've taken Pettersson 2nd overall in the summer so I'm not complaining lol. 

Admittedly a small sample but I thought Cole Lind played better than Glass in the 2 WHL vs Russia games. Still hoping/expecting that Lind, DePeitro and The Man Child are on the WJC roster.  

• Cheers 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, canuckistani said:

Um, with hands like that, if he'd been 190 pounds at draft like Auston matthews, he'd be consensus #1.

As for ectomorph vs endomorph frames, tall ectomorphs take time to fill out. 

I am a 5'7 endomorph, before i became a fat & pudgy mid 30s guy, i attained my sporting muscle mass at age of 17...always hovering around the 150-160 lbs mark.  My friend who is 6'4 ectomorph, was a beanpole-ish 160 pound 6'4 dude at 19, ended up filling out to 190 lbs by the time he was 24-25. 

With his height, i  can see Elias topping out in the 180-190 zone if trained properly. 
Yes, his older brother's weight is a big red flag, but Elias will have top of the line fitness coaches looking to specifically increase his mass, his brother, who was a 6th round draft pick who never came to North America till this season, had far less help. 

At the end of the day, any fitness coach will tell you, if you are in the 188-190cm zone (6'2-6'3) and don't attain atleast 180 lbs weight, you are doing it wrong/not trying hard enough. 

Elias will never be the guy who's gonna have a defenceman hanging on to him while he scores a goal, not unless he has exceptional puck possession like Henrik or Daniel Sedin do. 

And he doesn't need that kind of power either. If he has good enough edge work (which he does) and elite hands (which he also does), he is going to be the 'weave and bob through defensemen' kind of player.

Which should provide a VERY GOOD 1-2 punch for the Canucks down the road if he does 'stick at centre'. 
Horvat is going to be an elite/top end ectomorph centreman with bulk & speed, who 'busts his way into the middle of the ice and creates his own lane'. Elias is going to be a 'weave and bobble till he finds a lane' kind of guy. Thats basically covering two very distinct (and valid) styles of elite top end play and will make us hard to be be defended against. 

Horvat is I think a Mesomorph, the Hulk type.  High percentage of muscle, square shaped.  Very hard to push off the puck/knock off his skates.  

Pettersson is slimmer, from the sound of it.  Depends how much he uses his speed, cleverness, etc.  Patrick Kane, Gaudreau, many other players who are smaller/slimmer are doing well right now.  Mitch Marner is no Arnold Schwarzenegger either.  Skill matters.  Also, the league might in the future look at bigger rinks -- has to be a possible component of solving the concussion problem.  (That and, obviously, meaningful suspensions/rule changes.) 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Horvat is I think a Mesomorph, the Hulk type.  High percentage of muscle, square shaped.  Very hard to push off the puck/knock off his skates.  

Pettersson is slimmer, from the sound of it.  Depends how much he uses his speed, cleverness, etc.  Patrick Kane, Gaudreau, many other players who are smaller/slimmer are doing well right now.  Mitch Marner is no Arnold Schwarzenegger either.  Skill matters.  Also, the league might in the future look at bigger rinks -- has to be a possible component of solving the concussion problem.  (That and, obviously, meaningful suspensions/rule changes.) 

The only thing that's concerning is that all those smaller players are playing wing now, EP will definitely play in the NHL and put up big numbers, but I'm afraid it won't take be as a center

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the idea of having Boeser on the second line with Bo and Mr. Underratted Sven Baertschi. (Lock him up longterm JB. He works fantastically with bo Bo and Boes, as well as showed to develop his entire full complete game. He deserves a longterm spot in the middle six, I think second line with Bo and Boes.

Petterson is a first line center. Having BBB on the second line would help take so much pressure off of him, he will be electric. We'll find him the right linemates and have an extremely great top 6  for years to come. With a few pounds he could play in the NHL right now. After a full season of grooming? I'm excited. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is correct.   To whomever is creating a false legend about Nylander "carrying the team on his back", he was given lots of ice time on a really crappy team (worst in the league essentially) that only played an offensive style and he racked up some points.   WN is a fine hockey player but time will tell if what I am getting as reports are right but as things stand right now, based upon information I trust, WN was significantly behind EP at same stage of their career development and even on a poor Leafs team was relegated to AHL to learn how to play professional game as he was on a free for all situation in Sweden.  EP is playing on the top team in one of the best leagues in the world and leading that team by a wide margin in most offensive categories.    How does one compare these and say they are similar?    Further, EP has played well in both ends of the ice (by my own eyes watching about half the feeds of the SEL games and all of the Champs games so far).    

No one has a crystal ball but whoever is using the SEL comparison to somehow justify that WN was a better prospect (or even remotely equal) to EP is simply doing so without much factual basis if any at all.

I will readily admit I was in the Cody Glass camp for the draft as EP was not really on my radar but after Canucks drafted him I checked in with those who know that system (to be even more honest, I was more interested in the pick up from Ottawa at the time) and words like "steal of the draft", "best prospect since Forsberg", "perfect next Swedish superstar for Vancouver post Naslund and Sedins" and so forth.  It was gushing and consistent from people who are harsh critics.    

Who knows where this kid will end up in his professional career but all indications to date are he keeps blowing by expectations and it would seemingly be pretty foolish to bet against him for the NHL career that opens a lot of eyes.    Kid IS very special.

Fixed:). Thanks for all of the updates RZ. You and Sidisme.., are doing an awesome job giving report on this future superstar. I'm always eager to come to this thread to hear the new updates. I'm sure I speak for most of the posters on here, cheers..

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is correct.   To whomever is creating a false legend about Nylander "carrying the team on his back", he was given lots of ice time on a really crappy team (worst in the league essentially) that only played an offensive style and he racked up some points.   WN is a fine hockey player but time will tell if what I am getting as reports are right but as things stand right now, based upon information I trust, WN was significantly behind EP at same stage of their career development and even on a poor Leafs team was relegated to AHL to learn how to play professional game as he was on a free for all situation in Sweden.  EP is playing on the top team in one of the best leagues in the world and leading that team by a wide margin in most offensive categories.    How does one compare these and say they are similar?    Further, EP has played well in both ends of the ice (by my own eyes watching about half the feeds of the SEL games and all of the Champs games so far).    

No one has a crystal ball but whoever is using the SEL comparison to somehow justify that WN was a better prospect (or even remotely equal) to EP is simply doing so without much factual basis if any at all.

I will readily admit I was in the Cody Glass camp for the draft as EP was not really on my radar but after Canucks drafted him I checked in with those who know that system (to be even more honest, I was more interested in the pick up from Ottawa at the time) and words like "steal of the draft", "best prospect since Forsberg", "perfect next Swedish superstar for Vancouver post Naslund and Sedins" and so forth.  It was gushing and consistent from people who are harsh critics.    

Who knows where this kid will end up in his professional career but all indications to date are he keeps blowing by expectations and it would seemingly be pretty foolish to bet against him for the NHL career that opens a lot of eyes.    Kid could be very special.

I do like the comparison to kane though. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Holy crap, between Boeser and Pettersson highlights I dont know how much more stimulation I can take, its like a Victoria Secrets model just rung my doorbell...

Imagine how much more stimulation you can take when Boeser and Pettersson are on the same line.

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The choppy video makes it look even more like magic...the things he does with the puck....

I don't need a crystal ball to book him into the Canucks lineup next year....or to declare that EP and BB will lead the team in scoring ...next year (BB this year)...

Even thinking he might spend time in the AHL for some inane reason like....he needs to adjust...or he is to small....hand wringers unite ...and go dilly dally in the Tryamkin thread....

• Cheers 1