The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At the same time you can't sacrifice the development of the current young players in the hopes you'll draft some white knight prospect like Dahlin.

If guys like Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, and Pouliot are taking the reigns, you do everything to support their development. Which means surrounding them with talent.

I hate when people say we should tank right out of the gate, without even seeing the steps the team has taken. That would have done no good for a guy like Boeser this season.

the pressure to rush EP into the NHL is going to be enormous, more than any other draft pick we've had imo. 

As far as the team goes, I'm really happy that Jim is taking the time to put more balanced talent in place. Look at the crap D Edmonton has right now and lack of secondary scoring, we don't need to follow that path. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think he needs a year of AHL seasoning after this. No point in rushing him.

2019-20 Top 9 of:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Pettersson Dahlen

Lind Gaudette Virtanen

D core will need some work, but if Tryamkin comes back... Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot, Juolevi, Tryamkin is decent.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I guess we should be playing Boeser on the fourth line if we wanna draft Dahlin, right? B)

I love the flow, but he sure is hurting the tank. My ideal scenario is him scoring and canuck losing 5-4 games. Best of both worlds! B)

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I love the flow, but he sure is hurting the tank. My ideal scenario is him scoring and canuck losing 5-4 games. Best of both worlds! 

Meaning guys like Horvat, Pouliot, and Gaunce are likely struggling big time.

But screw them right? Who cares about their development as long as we get a top 5 pick!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At the same time you can't sacrifice the development of the current young players in the hopes you'll draft some white knight prospect like Dahlin.

If guys like Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, and Pouliot are taking the reigns, you do everything to support their development. Which means surrounding them with talent.

I hate when people say we should tank right out of the gate, without even seeing the steps the team has taken. That would have done no good for a guy like Boeser this season.

Oh no I agree if the young guns are leading this team then I'm all for it,

just hoping that in all this that veterans are still offloaded for more assets and picks for this year such as a vanek. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In addition to the above, as of today, Pettersson has scored points on an incredible 42% of Växjö total team goals in the SHL games he's played.

EDIT: And he's doing this while playing just under 16 minutes a game.

they have to give the SHL goalies a fighting chance :lol: 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Oh no I agree if the young guns are leading this team then I'm all for it,

just hoping that in all this that veterans are still offloaded for more assets and picks for this year such as a vanek. 

I think their plan all along was to have Goldobin develop in the minors for a season, and then hopefully be ready to replace Vanek by the trade deadline. That would be the perfect scenario.

But if Goldobin isn't ready and Vanek is a big part of our push for a playoff spot, I'd keep him and a chance to get the young guys playoff experience. Better than a 3rd round pick IMO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Isam said:

Actually on board with Benning drafting Merkley. It would be one hell of a powerplay with him, Boeser, and Pettersson.

thats probably right around the draft spot we'll be at so its certainly a possibility. A bit small but we need the offence. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Meaning guys like Horvat, Pouliot, and Gaunce are likely struggling big time.

But screw them right? Who cares about their development as long as we get a top 5 pick!

No cause horvat is setting up Boeser! Gaunce I don't see as a key part of the future and a dime a dozen player. Also, I think talent always wins out and losing won't ruin a prospect. If they don't succeed, then that just means they weren't cut out to be a star anyways. Losing ruining development is a myth to me. Could ruin markstrom/nilsson, but demko/dipietro are the future! 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don't agree.

Learning how to win is part of a players development. If you keep telling a player to play a certain way and they'll have success, but it never comes they lose confidence. Having no confidence for a young player is a dangerous thing. It can derail their development if it's not taken care of.

Simply getting points but losing every game is not enough. Players play to win. And you can't just flip a switch once you think all the pieces are in place. It's a long process for young players to gain consistency and to win games.

I don't agree because I think that's just making excuses for the player. If he's good enough he'll succeed in the end.  I'm not sure if it's provable either way though, but just have never subscribed to that line of thinking. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just think guys like Horvat and Boeser will be in a much better position to lead the next wave of young players if they learned what it takes to win first.

That's a value you can't measure in top 5 picks. 

Sure, but my point is you need to surround them with other good players. They can't do it on their own. The more elite talent you surround them with the better they and the team will be. Losing a few years early in their current isn't going to ruin them for the next 10 years. Horvat spent the last 2 years being on a bottom 3 team. Does he looked ruined to you? He's only getting better. 2 awful years of losing didn't affect him or his confidence one bit. 

You need to accumulate your elite core through high drafting and then supplement them with trades, ufa signings, etc. Tanking is not the whole process, but just the start to get your future core. Trust the process! 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1