The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The point is, even if EP plays left wing for the Canucks and bumps Baer down to the third line, having such depth of talent that a Kessel (or a Baer) is playing on your third line is not exactly a recipe for disaster.

You are not getting my point. 

I will say this one last time : having 5-6 top flight wingers and 1 solid centre between them, is a bad idea. Which means if Peterson doesnt pan out at C, we are most likely trading one of Peterson,Dahlen,Baertschi or Lind to get a centreman. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

I will say this one last time : having 5-6 top flight wingers and 1 solid centre between them, is a bad idea. Which means if Peterson doesnt pan out at C, we are most likely trading one of Peterson,Dahlen,Baertschi or Lind to get a centreman. 

Have you forgotten Gaudette?

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That’s a very missleading post skewed by cherry picking numbers though. You include 2017 yet all the players in 2017 have haven’t even been in the league for over 30 games. How are they supposed to win a cup in that time frame. I don’t think anyone expects a team to go from bottom of the league to cup winner over night. So listing the players drafted in in the last few years doesn’t really help the point either. 

Pull those same numbers from 2001-10 draft years. 

Only 9 teams had 3 or more top 5 picks and they represent 9 of the last 12 Stanley cups won. 

But in the end, Drafting in the top 5 doesn’t guarantee you a cup but it does produce you the highest odds of landing a key piece to building a cup contender.  A peice like Pettersson is the result of a top 5 draft pick. Hes going to be a very important piece for us into turning this team into a cup contender.

How many any people here would be willing to replace pettersson with someone taken in the 15-29 range last draft. anyone who would prefer to keep pettersson and is against obtaining top 5 picks is a hypocrite. 

I like how you cut it off at 29 because I was going to say that I wouldn't mind that much if we had taken Eeli Tolvanen instead, but even within that range I would still be happy with Filip Chytil. I mean what has this Pettersson guy done lately anyways? He didn't even score a hat-trick today... BUST.

With that said... this is ridiculous. I was just saying to people the day before this clip that if he really needs to start beating players one-on-one to really prove his hype. And what does he do: 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Virtanen who isn't producing anything.

That's not exactly fair. While he's not exactly putting up big numbers, he's been noticeable and is most assuredly an NHL player. How far up the depth chart he can get remains to be seen. That isn't to say that, using the gift of hindsight, Nylander or Ehlers aren't much better players, but we're in a position where we can afford to be patient. If Virtanen can get to a point where he's a dependable middle 6 forward capable of scoring 20 goals in a season and Pettersson reaches his insanely high ceiling, we still may very well be better off with the combo of Virtanen/Pettersson then we would have been with a Nylander/Glass or Ehlers/Glass combo.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

If we had nylander and laine we wouldn't have been drafting high enough to get petterson.

This is all so obvious a fantasy, and if you can't let me have, then fine, show me a crystal ball that says we couldn't have gotten petterson as well

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

I wouldn't be against that. Unfortunately I don't really think we need a center. I would lean more towards a D.

Peterson horvat boeser

Lind/dahlen Gaudette granlund

Lind/dalhen Sutter virtanen

Gaunce UFA Eriksson

I mean horvat and gaudette aren't Malkin and Crosby but we don't need 2 elite centers if our team is super rounded. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dral said:

It still hurts to think we could have taken Nylander and SHOULD have had Laine...

Horvat, Nylander, Laine ,Boeser, EP.... rebuild complete?

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

If we had nylander and laine we wouldn't have been drafting high enough to get petterson.

Not only that, but our D pool, which is already pretty shallow, looks downright pitiful without Juolevi.

Also, having Nylander and Laine would have prevented us from landing Lind as well, for what that's worth.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Isn't trading for needs what every single team does?  And how is it not all the better to have 5-6 top assets to deal in order to fill them?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dral said:

It still hurts to think we could have taken Nylander and SHOULD have had Laine...

Horvat, Nylander, Laine ,Boeser, EP.... rebuild complete?

It doesn't work like that. If we had gotten Laine we probably wouldn't have sucked enough to draft EP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3