The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

The numbers try to capture what would be the equivalent production in the NHL. So based on the the .58 figure quoted above. Pettersson so far would have 28 points (SHL) x .58 = 16.24 NHL points in 21 NHL games. 

It should be noted that NHLe tends to improve in accuracy greatly over larger sample sizes. So it might be better to wait until the end of the SHL season to really look at it. At that point more accurate translation factors should also be available. I would say the value in NHLe isn't its able to predict NHL production but rather it does a decent job in comparing prospects from across non-NHL leagues. It's a decent tool to look at when considering draft prospects. 

Maybe, but Patrick Kane also played in the NLA, a lesser league than the SHL (according to that chart), during the lockout. He scored 23 points in 20 games.

This formula estimates him at .43 x 23 = 9.89 projected NHL points at about .49 ppg. Thats an established cup winning star player that we know is at least a 1.0 ppg career player in the NHL. Thats quite the gap.

Edited by Canorth
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I haven't said anything negative about the team in months, because our team is doing well and we seem to now have a plethera of prospects who are doing very well and some D-bag had to quote me from June, not to mention he got the wrong idea from my post.  Even when I am positive I get dragged in to this garbage.  What the hell am I" supposed to do to make you people happy?  

Well that's not very nice.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

When people keep quoting him, the ignore function fails...

A little diversity in opinion is nice once in a while isn't it?  Even if it was (although apparently is no longer) incessant complaining about Virtanen :D 

@The 5th Line ..... I'll forgive the D-bag comment considering you did such an incredible job of using plethora in a sentence.  Well done my friend, well done.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/31/2017 at 4:58 PM, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Homebrew you are definitely in the wrong place....this is CDC. Stop showing off and start some ridiculous thread about trading Eriksson and a bag of pucks for Stamkos otherwise you may just get banned. 

Hawai'i island (the big island) is one of the places that would be perfect for geothermal energy extraction due to the Volcano located right in the heart of the island. However, there are obviously the environmental concerns with dealing with geothermal fracking and other such procedures, in addition to the cultural issues facing the scientists/businessmen. The Hawaiians believe the mother of the island Pele's being and soul is located in all parts of the island (rock, trees, etc.) so desecrating those by fracking would cause quite a big hoorah. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

When it comes to prospects, I like to think of NHLe as what they’d be scoring if they were to walk onto the Canucks (or another NHL team) right now.

So maybe a 17 year old Dahlin would only score 22 points (if he someone managed to play in the NHL this year—but he’d need a really good fake ID ;)).

Or Pettersson, based on 0.58 (which I agree is low and I prefer “Wilson” NHLe that’s closer to 0.70), would be on a 63 point pace if he was currently playing with Brock, Bo, and the boys on the 2017-18 Canucks.

But as these are developing prospects, the equivalencies only have transient value, and will almost assuredly be higher next year. They will improve, whether in the SHL, AHL, or NHL, so their equivalencies will go up as they develop. They are not projections (in terms of prime career numbers). Merely indications of the equivalent value of their points production today.

For a fully developed player, NHLe has more projective value. Take a Dadanov, whose recent KHL production suggested he could be as much as a 75 point per season NHL player in his remaining prime years (before he hits age related decline). And so far this year, he’s on something like a 68 point pace, so NHLe is proving fairly accurate in his case.

NHLe is kind of useless then in this case if it isnt helping predict what a prospects contribution will be once they make the NHL. 

I dont really want to know what Pettersson would be scoring in the NHL this year because he wont be in the NHL this year. 

Now if we can forecast what his progress should be next year based on this year then I wanna know. 

For example if we could say the first year after a prospect comes to the NHL from SHL they score 50% of their SHL production, but by year 3 they reach 100%. Then I have something to hang my hat on.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Derp... said:

NHLe is kind of useless then in this case if it isnt helping predict what a prospects contribution will be once they make the NHL. 

I dont really want to know what Pettersson would be scoring in the NHL this year because he wont be in the NHL this year. 

Now if we can forecast what his progress should be next year based on this year then I wanna know. 

For example if we could say the first year after a prospect comes to the NHL from SHL they score 50% of their SHL production, but by year 3 they reach 100%. Then I have something to hang my hat on.

Yeah, that’s why those other models (PCS, pGPS, etc) that look at the cohort of closest comparable players tend to give a better indication of what a prospect’s career might eventually look like. They identify a historical group of statistically similar players, and then give you the percentage of those players that went on to NHL success and the average production they enjoyed during their careers. These models still have their flaws, but they do provide better predictive value.

Although I wouldn’t say NHLe is useless. You can probably get a pretty good idea of what a prospect might accomplish from year-to-year, and from league-to-league, but the predictive value is very short term.

Maybe a more sensitive NHLe model that looked at players of specific ages and offered separate equivalencies for 18, 19, 20, etc year olds would be an idea. But lumping 18-year-olds in with every player of every age who moves between leagues definitely has its flaws, in terms of predicting future production. You have the young group, who should improve, prime age players, who should stay roughly the same, and older guys, who will decline. And the whole group’s results get used to create the equivalency factor (at least as I understand it), which has some obvious flaws when it comes to applying those factors to a developing player (at least when it comes to long term predictions).

EDIT: Actually the SEAL (situational, era, age, and league adjusted scoring) model does a lot of what I’m suggesting, as it creates an equivalency that accounts for several factors, including age. But it’s still just about predicting results for the next season, and doesn’t look any further than that.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, that’s why those other models (PCS, pGPS, etc) that look at the cohort of closest comparable players tend to give a better indication of what a prospect’s career might eventually look like. They identify a historical group of statistically similar players, and then give you the percentage of those players that went on to NHL success and the average production they enjoyed during their careers. These models still have their flaws, but they do provide better predictive value.

Although I wouldn’t say NHLe is useless. You can probably get a pretty good idea of what a prospect might accomplish from year-to-year, and from league-to-league, but the predictive value is very short term.

Maybe a more sensitive NHLe model that looked at players of specific ages and offered separate equivalencies for 18, 19, 20, etc year olds would be an idea. But lumping 18-year-olds in with every player of every age who moves between leagues definitely has its flaws, in terms of predicting future production. You have the young group, who should improve, prime age players, who should stay roughly the same, and older guys, who will decline. And the whole group’s results get used to create the equivalency factor (at least as I understand it), which has some obvious flaws when it comes to applying those factors to a developing player (at least when it comes to long term predictions).

EDIT: Actually the SEAL (situational, era, age, and league adjusted scoring) model does a lot of what I’m suggesting, as it creates an equivalency that accounts for several factors, including age. But it’s still just about predicting results for the next season, and doesn’t look any further than that.

I recall Pettersson's SEAL adjusted scoring was top in the draft class. 

Depending on how well the metric works it could be a good indicator of future success in prospects. 

At least with Pettersson it seems to be on point. 

Thanks for the info

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Gaudette has a long, long, long way to go to be considered elite centre-man prospect. Bo is not elite and he is like 10x more developed than Adam.

You didn't say "elite" though. You said "solid", and I think it's pretty safe to say that Gaudette is a pretty damn "solid" center prospect.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:33 PM, canuckistani said:

You are not getting my point. 

I will say this one last time : having 5-6 top flight wingers and 1 solid centre between them, is a bad idea. Which means if Peterson doesnt pan out at C, we are most likely trading one of Peterson,Dahlen,Baertschi or Lind to get a centreman. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3